Doom 3

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
Doom 3 My little review + screenshots

I've recently acquired, shall we say, Doom 3.

After playing for a short while I found that they've done a quite good job on the graphics. The lighting effects are precise and best of all practical. Although it's dark, you can still see what you need to see and there's still plenty of places where something can jump out at you and believe me they do.

This game is not for the faint hearted, if you think you are scared easily, or even not so easily, tread lightly and try not to fall off your chair when a posessed worker on the Mars research facility jumps out at you.

The gameplay aspect is rather well thought out, but like most games in this genre it is simple and very easy to follow. You play a marine brought in with an inspection team to discover exactly what is happening at the UAC's mars laboratory. During your visit an "accident" occurs in which the secret teleportation technology being developed by the UAC is used against them as an unknown enemy attempts a full scale invasion of the base. You, of course, are there to try and stop this from happening in which you encounter alien beings and even possessed work mates that come at you with guns and weaponry.

I just realised, i'm writing a small review :D so time to tell you what I think of this little beauty. If you are not scared easily and if you like being scared then this is definetly one for you, it's definetly the most scariest and jumpiest game i've played to date. If you think you are scared easily, then i'd avoid this one, maybe try it to see how you feel but as I said before this is not for the faint hearted. My recommendation : go and buy it!

Minion

Last edited:

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
More screenshots;

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Minion - what GFX card do you have?

I'm actually not very impressed by this game, tbh. Considering that this game was hyped for is graphics, I can get similar results using Halo...

How's it like as a shooter though, i mean, does it seem to slow down a lot at parts, or does it run at the same speed all the time?

Also, is it a fast-paced shooter, or an slow, objective-style one?

--

XMR: Actually, some shops are stocking it already...

On Neowin, quite a few members bought it from their local GAME store, lol.

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
Re: Doom 3 My little review + screenshots

urbanfox said:
You make it sound like it's some top secret software project... it is available to everyone lol. Ill have to post some nice high res screenies myself though...

I know it's availiable to everyone, but i'm not going to say how or where I got it. I'm not one for blabbing and destroying a game's chances.
And since I know your talking about piracy, I WILL be buying this game when it comes to the UK on the 13th.

¤ said:
´)÷¤--§îr Äürøñ--¤÷(`[¤]Minion - what GFX card do you have?

I'm actually not very impressed by this game, tbh. Considering that this game was hyped for is graphics, I can get similar results using Halo...

How's it like as a shooter though, i mean, does it seem to slow down a lot at parts, or does it run at the same speed all the time?

Also, is it a fast-paced shooter, or an slow, objective-style one?

My computer specs ;
2.6Ghz CPU
512 DDR RAM
Radeon 9600 PRO 400MHZ
80GB HDD

Believe me, what your seeing there is the medium settings of the GFX, two settings from the top (ultra). I tried it on this setting, and it was just not possible to play it. And no, it does not slow down. It runs constently without slow down or laggyness. I could probobly run it in the high setting mode, just haven't tried it. I wanted to jump in and see what it was like.

As for the gameplay it's very fast paced. So far i'm trying to escape from an underground facility being chased by possessed engineers, not a chance to rest as your always checking your back.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform

Minion said:
My computer specs ;
2.6Ghz CPU
512 DDR RAM
Radeon 9600 PRO 400MHZ
80GB HDD

Believe me, what your seeing there is the medium settings of the GFX, two settings from the top (ultra). I tried it on this setting, and it was just not possible to play it. And no, it does not slow down. It runs constently without slow down or laggyness. I could probobly run it in the high setting mode, just haven't tried it. I wanted to jump in and see what it was like.

As for the gameplay it's very fast paced. So far i'm trying to escape from an underground compound being chased by posessed engineers, not a chance to rest as your always checking your back.

Ahh, cool. Fast-paced sounds like fun, mind you *grins*

Urban, can you get a shot of it in Ultra quality if possible?

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003

Here's a few on the high at 1280x1024 *grins*. It runs fine, after seeing it on the screenshots when you are playing it looks much better as the light conditions are always changing.

Last edited:

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
¤]´)÷¤--§îr Äürøñ--¤÷(`[¤ said:
Damn, that looks good...

The FX6800 GeForce 4 can run it on ultra in 1600 resolution at 60+ FPS, shame really that the particular model is £370 :(
Since this game relys mainly on OpenGL the ATI Radeons struggle a tad, with the flagship model running it 17FPS less than the GeForce can.
After doing abit of research, ATI aren't happy about this and are developing new drivers especially to work with such OpenGL dependancy. Early versions suggest an increase of 10-15 FPS by changing the drivers alone, good news for me :D

Overall though, i'm very impressed by this game. Well worth the years of waiting. Good job ID ;)

Last edited:

Kaoii767

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2004
i tried running doom3 on ultra settings with the normal cache rates, and the render setting on 4.. i got a pretty firm 5.8 frames a second. then i turned the render mode down to two and set the cache rate to 124 and got a pretty nice 20 frames a second.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Minion said:
The FX6800 GeForce 4 can run it on ultra in 1600 resolution at 60+ FPS, shame really that the particular model is £370 :(
Since this game relys mainly on OpenGL the ATI Radeons struggle a tad, with the flagship model running it 17FPS less than the GeForce can.
After doing abit of research, ATI aren't happy about this and are developing new drivers especially to work with such OpenGL dependancy. Early versions suggest an increase of 10-15 FPS by changing the drivers alone, good news for me :D

Overall though, i'm very impressed by this game. Well worth the years of waiting. Good job ID ;)

ATI has already released Catilyst drivers 4.9 beta (lol considering the leaked 4.8's are barely out...) to fix doom 3 issues people are having. ATI still has awesome opengl capabilities and can still play all the open gl games ok, just need some driver reworkings to make it own the nvidia cards. As for doom 3... it was specifically heavily optimized for nvidia and not ati, hence the partnership, which we will see the same thing with HL2 and ati performance, especially since they have already tried it.

I'm about to take a shower and fix some stuff on the server, and then im going to install it with A64+6800 so ill take some screenies and host em myself for perfect image quaility.

I know it's availiable to everyone, but i'm not going to say how or where I got it.

You either got it from a store, a friend, or through the internet, there is no secret. I won't BS anyone here i downloaded the game from our Clan DoD ftp. And, technically I don't even have to buy this game, as i got a free copy from someone who works at EB games since they don't care for it that much (it's amazing what people what people will do for you if you get their comp working :nurse:) And if i wasn't going to get it for free, i would have bought it anyway from a legitimate source, same as HL2 except for coupon :/ damn you steam the first day HL2 is ready...

EDIT:

NV10 - GEFORCE 4 MX
NV20 - GEFORCE 3 AND 4
R200 - RADEON 8500 AND 9000 GPU'S
ARB2 - NVIDIA FX AND RADEON 300+ GPU'S (MODERN GFX)

pick your rendering path accordingly, although i thought the game picked it for you...

Last edited:

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
ive downloaded like 6 diff versions, only 1 worked and nto very well at all :(

had DOom3 / HL2 pre-ordered for around 9 months (Since i got my first paycheck :P)

Kaoii767

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2004
heres some cool screens of doom3 =P

u just gotta love Super Turbo Turkey Puncher Three..

Attachments

• sttp3.JPG
    sttp3.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 33
  • sttb3_2.JPG
    sttb3_2.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 26
  • sttb3_3.JPG
    sttb3_3.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 22

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
Wheres the action, cant this game be played online aswell? an online game where everyone stand there and plays an arcade game punching a duck?

Need some screenies of action.....

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
urbanfox said:
ATI has already released Catilyst drivers 4.9 beta (lol considering the leaked 4.8's are barely out...) to fix doom 3 issues people are having. ATI still has awesome opengl capabilities and can still play all the open gl games ok, just need some driver reworkings to make it own the nvidia cards. As for doom 3... it was specifically heavily optimized for nvidia and not ati, hence the partnership, which we will see the same thing with HL2 and ati performance, especially since they have already tried it.

Course it was optimised for nVidia, it's like that with most games now.
And I know there are several releases already out of these new developed
GFX drviers, fact is I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole because of
reported problems with overlocked cards or even slightly touched cards overheating.
I'd rather wait for the full release thankyou very much ;)

urbanfox said:
NV10 - GEFORCE 4 MX
NV20 - GEFORCE 3 AND 4
R200 - RADEON 8500 AND 9000 GPU'S
ARB2 - NVIDIA FX AND RADEON 300+ GPU'S (MODERN GFX)

pick your rendering path accordingly, although i thought the game picked it for you...

There's only so much editing those settings to do. To increase performance truly they need to get the new gfx drivers out there :)

Last edited: