Exam results!

smoochy boys on tour

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i failed all my A levels :( (4 years ago)

jamessss

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jun 18, 2004
Doesn't matter if you fail or get uber results. End of the day look at how many students are coming out with degrees getting 1:1 or even masters. They can't get jobs due to there not being any available. It's who you know whats the important thing nowadays! Not exam results! Mwha x

ElmoLite

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2006
South Wales
Doesn't matter if you fail or get uber results. End of the day look at how many students are coming out with degrees getting 1:1 or even masters. They can't get jobs due to there not being any available. It's who you know whats the important thing nowadays! Not exam results! Mwha x

Guy who come out of school at 16.

Guy who put the effort in to stay the extra few years.

I know who I'd rather employ.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
hes right tho, ive got a decent degree, yet cant get a job anywhere, everywhere needs previous experience.

seems qualifications are nothing these days.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Thats why I was sent out to work at 4 years old :)

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
Known fact elmo, experience will always beat grades.

Known fact Elmo!

Except it isn't a fact, it's bull****. Grades aren't vital and people can do fine without but they help, maybe look it up once you've figured out what a fact is.

I'm suprised you can't get a job easily Farphit, I had a choice of 3 places willing to hire me when I left 2 years ago.

My sisters having a similar problem and can't even get interviews but that serves her right for getting a politics degree.

I guess it's just the current jobs climate :(, uni leavers are getting screwed at the moment.

Good luck people, my sisters getting her results today as well.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield

So someone who is now 21, been doing the job/similar job for 4-5 years, has lots of experience and good reference.

Against

Someone who studied for 4-5 years, just finished uni, only experience he has is working in a shop/bar (example only), but has a qualification.

You would seriously choose the student?

Because I know plenty of companies that would choose the opposite to you. Going by the fact I know people who struggle to find a job in what there qualification is for, as they hire someone with experience.

danboss

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 2, 2003
People without degrees always have a chip on their shoulder when talking about higher education. The fact remains that obtaining a degree can be one of the most worthwhile and satisfying experiences in life. A lot of these posts read 'I left education and I'm bitter to hear that people choose to study further than I have'.

Good luck to you all!

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003

Lucky you're not working in recruitment then! Education unfortunately doesn't count for a whole lot in the real world, it gets you a foot in the door but experience and skill gets you in the room.

I left school at 16 and started my career. 5 years later and I now work as a systems developer earning in double what my uni friends have started on if they've been lucky enough to get a job, not to mention that i've been earning for the past 5 years and as a result have my own mortgage and a nicely fitted place. And I really don't know where you get the impression that education is more effort than work.

Not to say you shouldn't get further education, in some cases it's completely mandatory should you want to become a doctor or a lawyer, or as an example some of the guys here have done computer science which will get them far in the industry. But if you go to uni and get a degree in psychology and history then apply for a job in an office it's really not going to benefit you much, especially if 'some 19 year old' has had working in an office for the past 3 years instead of going to college.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK

Totally agree with you mate there all getting in det for good grades which may not come to use when trying to get a job

jamessss

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jun 18, 2004

That's why i went straight into work after leaving school to be an apprentice. In the Architectual business for three n a half years. Getting my qualifications payed for and now realising it wasn't for me and am now on the stage of becoming a student paramedic.
Uni being a big thing nowadays is well in the past, it's a business to try and get as many people on as possible to pay for there over-rated salaries.

Last edited:

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I'm currently at college but I'm not going Uni - reason being is;

Guy who's been to college and has 3 years of work experience under his belt

Guy who's been to college, went Uni & has no idea of anything to do with the working world.

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
i did 2 year at college got my btec first deploma and i still couldnt get a job lol so ive been working in crappy wearhouse for over a year