First Car

smoochy boys on tour

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Best time to buy right now though, with prices still been pretty low for cars.

(They are creepin back up)

firstheroo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 16, 2007
I have a M reg 106 got it about 5months ago for my first car, paid £500 for it. Been just about perfect (touch wood) only thing i have done is change the front brake pads (£15).

So yer a pretty good first car too have i would say.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Get a Ford they are cheap and easy to fix and every scrap yard is full of them for parts. Pugs are crap forever reapairing those i had one, The problem with most first cars they are old and the wear and tear will cost you a small fortune.

Fiesta`s seem good all my mates which have had them barly had any problems.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
Kinda off-topic as I know it would be mega insurance for a first car, but if anybody's interested I've got a 1.7 astra, P reg (Whatever year that is), 130k miles. Just had the clutch done. All is standard apart from the CD player & speakers, dunno what they are, but can find out.

£400.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
Ford KA is a womans car. I hardly see a man driving a old ford ka.

Truth. Only person on LOMCN that I'd actually expect to see in a KA is Prai.
That's not me trying to flame or be offensive. I can just picture Prai cruising in a KA for some reason. :)

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Truth. Only person on LOMCN that I'd actually expect to see in a KA is Prai.
That's not me trying to flame or be offensive. I can just picture Prai cruising in a KA for some reason. :)

Funny guy! LOL

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
I could hazard a pretty good guess what Prai rides...

On topic, just get a piece of shit. Not that I've got anything against it but I really can't see why people spend thousands of pounds on a heap of mobile metal that depreciates rapidly in value and on average they spend less time in than they do pissing. I probably just don't understand the appeal though, I'm sure it has an equal or greater entertainment/respect/rep/pussy vs cost factor that I just don't see :p

Forwards, backwards, left, right though.. that'll sort you out nicely for now!

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I could hazard a pretty good guess what Prai rides...

On topic, just get a piece of shit. Not that I've got anything against it but I really can't see why people spend thousands of pounds on a heap of mobile metal that depreciates rapidly in value and on average they spend less time in than they do pissing. I probably just don't understand the appeal though, I'm sure it has an equal or greater entertainment/respect/rep/pussy vs cost factor that I just don't see :p

Forwards, backwards, left, right though.. that'll sort you out nicely for now!
People just like ot have a nice and reliable car at the end of the day.

As you say, all comes down to appeal. Lots of people stick to the same old car that they have had for years, that is probably worth nothing... even to the scrap yard. SImply because of the money factor why spend something you aint bothered about, aslong as it works?

Whereas me, cars appeal to me lots, and have done since I was about 8. I;m obviously going to want a new car, and cars I like.

Ontopic: As said, Fords break, but cheap to fix. But its really the same with Pugs, Clios, Corsa's.... scrap yards a full of them, car spares are full of parts for them as there all common as dog ****.

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Passed my test but am saving up for a half decent first car tbh. Looking for something around 3-4 grand max. Was thinking Citreon C2 VTR. Nice car ;) or Black Clio. Has to be black clio though. Mind you a SRi Corse are quite nice.

T0MMY

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 5, 2007
United Kingdom

As you say, all comes down to appeal. Lots of people stick to the same old car that they have had for years, that is probably worth nothing... even to the scrap yard. SImply because of the money factor why spend something you aint bothered about, aslong as it works?

Whereas me, cars appeal to me lots, and have done since I was about 8. I;m obviously going to want a new car, and cars I like.

Ontopic: As said, Fords break, but cheap to fix. But its really the same with Pugs, Clios, Corsa's.... scrap yards a full of them, car spares are full of parts for them as there all common as dog ****.

Same tbh, i will be wanting nice cars all my life, if i can afford i will buy it straight away. Cars are technology and i like to keep up with the latest technology, just the way I am really. Two different types of people, don't give a toss about what car they have and people who are into their cars. Each for their own basically.

I was thinking of getting one of these:
Clio, Corsa or Fiesta.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003

I can't even drive (well I can, I just never bothered to pass my test) so I haven't really had a chance to get into it.

I am however getting an r6 in a few months so maybe my loyalties just lay with other machines :p

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Passed my test but am saving up for a half decent first car tbh. Looking for something around 3-4 grand max. Was thinking Citreon C2 VTR. Nice car ;) or Black Clio. Has to be black clio though. Mind you a SRi Corse are quite nice.

IMO your best buying a **** car, for atleast a year.

Insure it, get no claims and driving experience.

If you crash it, you dont give a ****, scrap it.

If you have a decent car, you will get raped on insurance, and if you crash it, you will most likely have to claim on insurance.

Nightrider

~{GoD}~
VIP
Feb 21, 2004
Southampton,Uk
I can't even drive (well I can, I just never bothered to pass my test) so I haven't really had a chance to get into it.

I am however getting an r6 in a few months so maybe my loyalties just lay with other machines :p

Sawell, first of all, WHY get a R6? I'm sorry, but their nothing compared to a GSXR-600 or even a Kawasaki zx-6r, and in terms of looks, the gsxr rizla graphic's are by far better than all 600's :P
-Dan

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Sawell, first of all, WHY get a R6? I'm sorry, but their nothing compared to a GSXR-600 or even a Kawasaki zx-6r, and in terms of looks, the gsxr rizla graphic's are by far better than all 600's :P
-Dan

Because it's on the cheap lol, one of my friends is practically giving it to me.

After direct access, tax and insurance and equipment I don't really have the money to splash out on my dream bike just yet :( It'll suit me fine until I want to climb up on a 1k and go out with the big boys :D

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
My first car was a 1.9JTD Fiat Bravo, cost me around 700quid Fully comp. Then i got my old Saxo VTR which cost me an arm and a leg because of all the things i did to it. Then went onto my FRS.

Just start out with some crappy 200-300quid car, because you'll probably crash it. Its all about working your way up.

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
if ya dont like such small cars, astra G (r reg - 04 shape i think) i had 1 on a 51 1.6 8v and it was only isurance group 4 and pretty nice to drive and reliable.

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
IMO your best buying a **** car, for atleast a year.

Insure it, get no claims and driving experience.

If you crash it, you dont give a ****, scrap it.

If you have a decent car, you will get raped on insurance, and if you crash it, you will most likely have to claim on insurance.

Well tbh I drive a van now and again for work so its not like I've got no experience in driving as I am gaining all the time. So it wouldn't be to bad for me I dont think. Insurance wouldnt be all that bad on a 1.6. Could afford quite easily.