fresh install windows 7 from xp

Andreas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 12, 2008
Timisoara
i have 2 hard drives C and D
now my question is if i fresh install windows 7 over an xp (i'm aware i'll loose all my C partition where the window 7 will be )
but my D partion will be ok ? i mean i wont loose any data /files from that right ?

mapafail

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Apr 26, 2012
i have 2 hard drives C and D
now my question is if i fresh install windows 7 over an xp (i'm aware i'll loose all my C partition where the window 7 will be )
but my D partion will be ok ? i mean i wont loose any data /files from that right ?
No it shouldn't, as it will see C as C and D as D

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
No, nothing will happen to it unless you tell it to format.

You could always take your 2nd HDD out if you don't trust yourself.

Ilsta

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 20, 2012
If he has only 1 HDD, he can't :)

If he has a c and d drive... and i would do as jealy suggested as its best to be safe than sorry. But during installation you can just install w7 over xp and it will ask which os you wish to use before booting up if i remember correctly, although it would be recommended to do a fresh installation and format.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
If he has only 1 HDD, he can't :)

Considering he said he had 2 HDDs, I'm going to assume it's not 1 partitioned.

Even then, during installation it will ask which partition to use and give sizes, assigned letter & free memory of each. It's pretty hard to choose the wrong one.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Considering he said he had 2 HDDs, I'm going to assume it's not 1 partitioned.

Even then, during installation it will ask which partition to use and give sizes, assigned letter & free memory of each. It's pretty hard to choose the wrong one.

LOL I didn't read that. My bad.