Get rid of post count.

Join Discord

Should LOMCN get rid of the post count forever?

• Total voters

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
For good.

After the recent poll about whether the removal of the GoT post count and in light of the 'new' plans for LOMCN i was just wondering how many people could live without post counts and how many couldn't.

Vote honestly please, and consider the pro's and con's before voting.

I cant think of any con's atm lol, but one pro is it would (theoretically) half the amount of spam created outside of GoT.

If you can think of any vaild pro's and con's please post them in here.

Opinions are also wanted.

*The outcome of this poll will not change anything on the forum, its just for information purposes and may help either cause in the future if such an idea ever comes up offically*

Last edited:

Vannaroth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2004
London/Aberystwyth
Keep, just because there isn't much point in getting rid of them really. They're here and don't do any harm now that GoT is a spam-fest..

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
The harm is done outside of GoT, when spammers dont gain a post count in here where do you think they go to get one?

:doggy!:

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
Pixie said:
Post count = respect.

Its how we tell if someones being helping, active, or if there new.

I respect (or dislike) people by the name they have made of themselves on the forum (by looking at their name).

If someones is helping, you remember their name, not the number of posts they have made. If they are new then you dont know their name, if they spam then you spit on their name etc etc.

Last edited:

ipixel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
but like, if you go on a forum, and see someone who has a high post count, you know they have been with the community a long time, and that they are probably respected in some way, and even though its a tad sad, people enjoy having a high post count, some even get off to it imo.

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
I know what you mean, if your a n00bie to the forum then it helps in a way, but spammers like MrJ are not allowed to be respected on this forum and he used to have a high post count.

Which is why we should swap it for a ranking system and groups (which shows up inplace of the post count text under your av).

For example...... if you've been with the forum for a long time you get put in a group called "Old School", if your a serial spammer you get put in different group (like a sort of punishment), if you help out alot in certain sections theres another group etc etc.

Some may say this is biased and crap like that but i just made that up as a quick fix.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Na, i think keep post count, say a new member wants help, privately then he cud pm a person with a high post count as there more expierenced with the forum and may be able to help

ipixel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
CraiG^ said:
Na, i think keep post count, say a new member wants help, privately then he cud pm a person with a high post count as there more expierenced with the forum and may be able to help

Refer to hates second post, then come back and open your mouth. :ehehehehe

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
CraiG^ said:

lol *sigh*, when was the last time anyone got a pm (that isn't a mod or admin) from a new n00b that needed help, if people need help they just post in the relevent (or wrong lol) section, n00bies can even use the fking search button let alone find out who has a high post count AND then pm them, then wait for a reply.

CraiG^ said:
What does that have to do with what i said

Look at post number 9 and 10 (and now this one), pixie cant count tbh lol.

Last edited:

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Ah,
Soz i didn't read most of this i just skimmed but hate i like the group idea, and i think it's a good idea where members can give other members a reputation point AND the group idea would be very good but how would it be done automatically, like how would u configure to put you into spam group automatically or would all this have to be done through an admin

HolyCow

Get rid.

I think the reputation idea is a very good one, people giving rep points based on their posts obviously it'd need to be moderated well as it could be abused.

Last edited:

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
CraiG^ said:
Ah,
Soz i didn't read most of this i just skimmed but hate i like the group idea, and i think it's a good idea where members can give other members a reputation point AND the group idea would be very good but how would it be done automatically, like how would u configure to put you into spam group automatically or would all this have to be done through an admin

It would have to be done through a voting process of some kind by the Admins or Supermods.

EG: One admin posts a thread with a poll in the admin only section to see if a certain person should be put into a certain group (there will be several pre-determinded (sp? lol) groups that cover every aspect of the forum).

The Admins (or supermods or maybe a council that ONLY votes for these things (has no other powers)) have to do a quick bit of research on each person before voting, once they have decided they vote, depending which way the voting went the person is either put into the group or left as is, the person should not know they have been put up for voting untill it has been decided that they will be put into a group, if it was decided that they shouldn't be put into that group then they should not be told about it at all.

Also people could be put up for re-voting to kick them from groups or change their groups (EG: a spammers starts helping properly and shows positive improvement).

But now im thinking too much.

EDIT: Ive also seen the rep point hack used on forums before, all of them removed it because of hassle and alot of problems with it (user problems not technical ones).

Last edited:

michaelj:mrj

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Love said:
I know what you mean, if your a n00bie to the forum then it helps in a way, but spammers like MrJ are not allowed to be respected on this forum and he used to have a high post count.

Always MrJ, if you're going to drag me into it at least spell it right! mrj, MRJ, not MrJ.

/MichaelRobertJones.

Stop

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 8, 2005
Ok mRj.

Btw i did spell it right, i just decided not to make one letter a capital.