High Rate versus Low Rate - the age old question

Join Discord

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
Personally I'm not keen on High rates as they burn bright but fizzle out just like a firework! I prefer low/med rates as they take their time, but ultimately, are much more fulfilling. Most high rates die within 2 months, whereas low/med can trundle on for years. Sure it's fine having a blast on a high rate, but for longterm play, is this possible? or is it a case of jumping server every month? Just a question to the community..

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Personally I'm not keen on High rates as they burn bright but fizzle out just like a firework! I prefer low/med rates as they take their time, but ultimately, are much more fulfilling. Most high rates die within 2 months, whereas low/med can trundle on for years. Sure it's fine having a blast on a high rate, but for longterm play, is this possible? or is it a case of jumping server every month? Just a question to the community..

I also prefer LR over HR... I would also like to agree that HR's die out faster than LR's, however, the longest running european server (which has been running longer than any official euro/usa server) is a customer HR isn't it?

Sam

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
I also prefer LR over HR... I would also like to agree that HR's die out faster than LR's, however, the longest running european server (which has been running longer than any official euro/usa server) is a customer HR isn't it?

Sam

what so people are lvl10000 now yeah?

Elysiums23

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 19, 2013
Yorkshire

I prefer HR, alot of the reasons current HR run and die out within months atm is because server owners give everything within the first few months it needs to be dragged out abit :).

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
I prefer HR, alot of the reasons current HR run and die out within months atm is because server owners give everything within the first few months it needs to be dragged out abit :).

lol you give levels at high rate, dragged out a bit? what, cash for items.. which is the usual, and still home for tea by 8 weeks..

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham

Yet, co-incdentiyl EVERY SINGLE long lasting server has been a highrate. (excluding P69, which is a MR, but P69 is the worst server in the world, he just always keeps the lights on.)

Even AceM2 LR, with a team of coders lasted all of 3 months.

OSG HR's are not easy, and no-one is level 10000000. They are actually the most balanced Mir servers about, (tho granted they've gone down-hill recently, thats because of bad /in-experienced management)

All it is a number, which can be Quantumfied (sp) , the numbers are larger to give an impression of more continual progression rarther than hitting a brickwall. The reason some HR crash and burn is bad ownerships and being run by 12 year olds who adhere to all the sterotypes such as max level in 10minutes, items dropping 1/1 and stupid massive armours/weapons.

a HR done properly will always outlast a LR. especially a euro clone LR, when you break it down a HR can have the exact same "Experience/Balance" as a LR, just over a larger number range.

and who likes leveling for 6 hours, to gain 1 Level and 1 DC, when you can do it for 6 hours and gain 60 Levels and 60 DC? its all Physcological to make the user feel like there progressing quicker, when really there not.

The sterotypes of a HR need to be dropped and the community needs to be alot more open minded and logical about this when finding servers to play... As granted alot of HR are quick 1 month wonders, but they dont have to be thats just the way the owners make them.

Last edited:

Elysiums23

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 19, 2013
Yorkshire
Yet, co-incdentiyl EVERY SINGLE long lasting server has been a highrate. (excluding P69, which is a MR, but P69 is the worst server in the world, he just always keeps the lights on.)

OSG HR's are not easy, and no-one is level 10000000. They are actually the most balanced Mir servers about, (tho granted they've gone down-hill recently, thats because of bad /in-experienced management)

All it is a number, which can be Quantumfied (sp) , the numbers are larger to give an impression of more continual progression rarther than hitting a brickwall. The reason some HR crash and burn is bad ownerships and being run by 12 year olds who adhere to all the sterotypes such as max level in 10minutes, items dropping 1/1 and stupid massive armours/weapons.

a HR done properly will always outlast a LR. especially a euro clone LR, when you break it down a HR can have the exact same "Experience/Balance" as a LR, just over a larger number range.

and who likes leveling for 6 hours, to gain 1 Level and 1 DC, when you can do it for 6 hours and gain 60 Levels and 60 DC? its all Physcological to make the user feel like there progressing quicker, when really there not.

The sterotypes of a HR need to be dropped and the community needs to be alot more open minded and logical about this when finding servers to play... As granted alot of HR are quick 1 month wonders, but they dont have to be thats just the way the owners make them.

couldnt agree more

ashleyuk

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Nov 18, 2008
A HR can last as long as a LR.. Just depends on content such as "Quests, Jobs (Side Quests), Special items (Doing different ability's) and just the enjoyable wars/event's (As long there not too over the top).

If you get enough content for a high rate and not a lot of updates is required and you can work on new content to keep people entertained then it could work out well..

There are other features like Challenges (Kill so many monsters/bosses for a reward), Battle ground etc. Maybe once AceM2 files are released we might get some potential servers?.

I'm not a fan of a low rate.. Unless there is enough quests to keep me busy with nice rewards to stop the grinding then i'd be fine with that.

-Ash

PS: Anyone know any sites to get new monster skins, maps, weapon/armour skins etc?

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009

but then you are assuming that people will only play to see the level counter go up? I mean seriously, on a HR, you expect to have ALL spells within a week yeah? And so essentially progression is extra mp/hp and the odd 1-1 every day or so? I think people who play HR expect all skills immediately, there is no effort for those skills, HR essentially removes any effort at all, and yet, if you had a nutcase grinder, whether it be low rate or high rate, he's still going to be a million levels in front, it's just the lazy folk have all the skills too.

Then again, we are yet to see a server that makes people level to 40 in over a couple of weeks, server owners want longevity, yet the community want all the skills now.. it's a tough ask.. Personally I'm thinking a server, even if it is low rate, can easily be entertaining, and giving you that feeling of progression, certainly with the quest option and with the gazillion skins for armours and items.. What server owners NEED to do is make leveling MORE linear, if a low rate for example, give quests etc, every level from 31 onwards, a new armour, a new weapon, armours are the best example as they make everyone stand out on screen, but you get my drift.

I think that's what 99% of servers are missing, they have the new items / quests / moves, but nobody seems to have a clue when it comes to playability. Before starting a server, the team should actually sit back and decide how character progression is going to happen. This is why they all fail, everyone just jumps in and then realise it isn't going to work. With euro they could get away with it because it was so slow, they had months, even years to plan ahead. This is why personally a low rate is always going to win for longevity, purely because you have time with which to map out character progression.

Reactions: ChaseyLane

ChaseyLane

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
not every long lasting server has been high rate LOL ..... the server we pretty much all started on was low rate, one or 2 high rate ones have lasted granted but many fizzle out after weeks at best. The thing is high rate servers defy the reason alot of ppl enjoyed mir initially (or me at least anyways) .... it didnt used to be a case you could just log on n kill x amount of bosses on your own and not even speak to another player. The game was built around teamwork, cooperation and a little bit of grey matter .... which inturn made the game alot more enjoyable and not just something you could pick up and leave quiet as easily as the majority of the high rates around atm (this also reflects in the user count difference between most high rates n lows, most high rates have 30/40 players that are active). Dont get me wrong i've played and enjoyed my fair share of high rate servers but ultimately a well run low / med rate server is a much better gaming experience imo

I know not everyone will agree just my 2 cents :)

Zanthos

LOMCN n00bie
Nov 5, 2013
Nottingham, UK
It's a mix of opinions in some aspects, i personally prefer medium or high rates, but many other prefer low rates for obvious reasons. Overall, the rate of the server shouldn't matter, as long as there is always a selling point which makes a player return, this is why many of the long standing servers have been around for so long.

As you can see, many Mir2 servers, which have items caves and nothing else tend to collapse fairly quickly.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester

People always have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have.

Reactions: NewHope

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
but then you are assuming that people will only play to see the level counter go up? I mean seriously, on a HR, you expect to have ALL spells within a week yeah? And so essentially progression is extra mp/hp and the odd 1-1 every day or so? I think people who play HR expect all skills immediately, there is no effort for those skills, HR essentially removes any effort at all, and yet, if you had a nutcase grinder, whether it be low rate or high rate, he's still going to be a million levels in front, it's just the lazy folk have all the skills too.

Then again, we are yet to see a server that makes people level to 40 in over a couple of weeks, server owners want longevity, yet the community want all the skills now.. it's a tough ask.. Personally I'm thinking a server, even if it is low rate, can easily be entertaining, and giving you that feeling of progression, certainly with the quest option and with the gazillion skins for armours and items.. What server owners NEED to do is make leveling MORE linear, if a low rate for example, give quests etc, every level from 31 onwards, a new armour, a new weapon, armours are the best example as they make everyone stand out on screen, but you get my drift.

I think that's what 99% of servers are missing, they have the new items / quests / moves, but nobody seems to have a clue when it comes to playability. Before starting a server, the team should actually sit back and decide how character progression is going to happen. This is why they all fail, everyone just jumps in and then realise it isn't going to work. With euro they could get away with it because it was so slow, they had months, even years to plan ahead. This is why personally a low rate is always going to win for longevity, purely because you have time with which to map out character progression.

Your argument about longetiviy is invalid as all it is a number range, The large the number the more the player feels like there progressing, also you can have more stat variety. Whats the difference of 0-40 or 0-400 (x10) or 0-4000 (x100) or 0-40,000 (x1000) there is no difference except the number is larger.
Granted it would be abit wierd if everyone was running around with 72k DC, but ive yet to actually see that on a server, most stay under the 10k Mark.

A LR can never work, as todays MMORPG gamers are content junkies, . The reason we all hold euro mir so dear is for the majority of us it was our first MMORPG, and the it was addictive for a year or so. Euro mir's declined started around 7 years before it actually closed , and the reason for that is No new content, and it was to Grindy for the european market. Not to mention bad management, rampant cheats and exploits and corrupt game masters. It was actually one of the worst games ive ever played and i quickly moved to private servers.

People like to progress, yes they also like to feel like they've achieved something but there's a balance to be struck between this for example hunting OK for 4 years to get a DSS is not "progression or achievment" its just pure dumb luck.

A HR Can also effectivly re-balance the playing field with every major expansion and gives the user the feeling of a new world to explore, for example TH HR started out as 0-200, then moved 200-300, effectivly nulling all the gains the player had made in the previous expansion (much like WOW does, which is the most popular MMORPG in the world).
Obviously we dont want to go down the road of copying WOW totally, as thats a PVE game, mir is a PVP/social based game, anyone who plays it for PVE is just a wierdo imo.

The majority of the fun in Mir is guilds competeting each other for worthwhile rewards, any server which doesnt reconise this will die very quickly regardless if its LR/HR as people will do the content, then look to their guilds and social interactions to provide the entertainment (e.g OKS/MK/ZT fights on euro) If a server doesnt promote this type of gameplay people get bored very quickly.

E.g Ace Mir V1 , Nothing to actually do once you've completed the Euro content you've all ready done 100x's over which is why there was a rapid population decline after the first 2 months. On the other coin you have Three heros, were they have BW/MW wars through the day and group bosses (which cant be solo'ed) which majority of the time drop something usefull (motivating players to go and for guilds to compete) and that has always (when ben ran it) had a stable UC of around 100-150, rarely ever dipping. People arnt going to be motivated anymore to travel an hour to solo a boss which 99% of the time drops a HP Pot, The days of that are long gone and just simply dont work anymore. In todays instant gratification society people want to see measurable progress over time, Not hit a brickwall for 3 years , which is ultimatly what will happen in a LR.

+ The whole concept over a LR being better for "Longetivity" when its content is capped at a maximum of level 50-70 is totally illogical. How is something that is caped at level 50-70, better than something which has no high end cap? Obviously a HR is going to be able to progress alot more and keep people interested and playing more.

If you make the game to "Hard" i wouldnt actually call it "Hard" as euro mir was not "Hard" it just had really low drop rates(which is not based on skill, or time/effort put in, its based on pure dumb luck), people will get bored the minute they feel they are no longer progressing, as that is the whole point of a game. If you hit level 40-44 and then have nothing to do other than camp bosses for gear, after 3 months of camping the same bosses and just recieving a HPPot for your time, your going to be pretty ****ed off and most likely quit.

The whole idea of Mirs skill leveling system is retarded, anything that can be done AFK does not belong in a RPG. Quests also dont belong in Mir, this isnt WOW we are a sandbox social driven game, not a theme park handholding festival, no1 wants to do 600 kill 10 of this quests, there boring and there not even quests there simplying grinding which restricts your movements and makes the leveling more Linear and strict.

basiclly, Grinding for years on the same ****, is not fun and never has been fun, we just simply didnt know any better at the time as the MMORPG genre was relativly new. People like to progress at a steady pace, and being a LR doesnt offer that after the first 3 months as the very nature of a LR means you will hit a massive progression brickwall.
and your idea of making the journey to 40 last longer than a couple of weeks, no-one would play that, No-one likes to be a n00b forever running around with **** looking weapons/armours and crap skills. PVP is totaly boring nowdays without 2.3 skills aswell.

At the end of the day, people will always disagree and prefer what they like, How-ever any LR based server will always fail within 6months - 1 year. The same people are repeatdly letting Nologista rule over reason/progression pushing for LR's then complaining CONSTANTLY when their on the LR's that there is no new content and their progression is stalled..........*facepalm*.

/Rant over.

P.s Scorps a Douche and Arcadia is ****. hoho~~

Last edited:

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Personally I like both HR & LR.

LowRate - Lasts longer, and you feel more appreciated when you find a rare. Plus the lower rates always tend to last longer as stated above.
My only issue with LowRate, is i'm far too lazy to level on them! They have a tenancy to get quite boring after a couple of hours, and i always find myself looking around for another server.

High Rate - Never last as long, rare's aren't really rares unless you find a para/pro/clear/teleportring/recall set etc (If they aint easy to get).
Although I do love high rates, I love leveling on them, seing lots of drops, and having ridiculously high stats to PK everyone with.

So my decision is...
MEDIUM RATE FTW!

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
its not about the rate, its about how the server is made and what kind of community it has.

a LR with 1000 of people can be great fun, look at euro.
a LR with very few people is an extreme bore.

HRs imo require a few less people to enjoy it... as HRs tend to have more of a solo content kind of play, and with the low usercount today that makes it better.

The reason I always make my servers HR is because

1. I dont wanan copy euro, its been done before
2. HRs give more room with stats, allowing you to do so much more
3. The faster moving progression in HRs is what keeps people playing, because every few months their kit and level will be totally different, u feel like uve achieved something.

All in all, HR's are better, but theres plenty of people out there that dont see the bigger picture of what a great game really is, and are still using mir like its MSN, and think LR is better.

I pretty much have 1 question for them people... name one game that is a LR style where it takes months and months to do a single level, for tiny benefit... Im pretty sure you cant name a single game, cause it either doesnt exsist, or dies instantly.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Personally I like both HR & LR.

LowRate - Lasts longer, and you feel more appreciated when you find a rare. Plus the lower rates always tend to last longer as stated above.
My only issue with LowRate, is i'm far too lazy to level on them! They have a tenancy to get quite boring after a couple of hours, and i always find myself looking around for another server.

High Rate - Never last as long, rare's aren't really rares unless you find a para/pro/clear/teleportring/recall set etc (If they aint easy to get).
Although I do love high rates, I love leveling on them, seing lots of drops, and having ridiculously high stats to PK everyone with.

So my decision is...
MEDIUM RATE FTW!

This is the biggest problem in this community.

People dont actually understand the different between LR and HR.

Lowrate = Low Stats/Levels
High Rate = High Stats/Levels

Neither of them dictate the drop balance, or the balance of the game, merely the size and range of the numbers involved. Just because 90% of people who have made High Rates in the past have made them super-easy, this is does not Define the Genre of HighRate as instantly "Easy"
To do so is simply sterotyping :p

miniminimo

LOMCN Leecher
Dec 3, 2013
not every long lasting server has been high rate LOL ..... the server we pretty much all started on was low rate, one or 2 high rate ones have lasted granted but many fizzle out after weeks at best. The thing is high rate servers defy the reason alot of ppl enjoyed mir initially (or me at least anyways) .... it didnt used to be a case you could just log on n kill x amount of bosses on your own and not even speak to another player. The game was built around teamwork, cooperation and a little bit of grey matter .... which inturn made the game alot more enjoyable and not just something you could pick up and leave quiet as easily as the majority of the high rates around atm (this also reflects in the user count difference between most high rates n lows, most high rates have 30/40 players that are active). Dont get me wrong i've played and enjoyed my fair share of high rate servers but ultimately a well run low / med rate server is a much better gaming experience imo

I know not everyone will agree just my 2 cents :)

Beautifully expressed. The essence in mmorpg... team-playin! a Few High level solo around sure fills most players some excitement but when everyone is superb high level player then where is the fun of hardwork? Make the players communicate! Save the planet's mmorpg!

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
its not about the rate, its about how the server is made and what kind of community it has.

It's also down to the effort put in by the server owner. The more effort put in = more content = longer lasting server.

The stereotypical High Rate server owner will put it up and not bother with it. The same can and has been done for a Low Rate, but because it's a low rate people don't seem to "rush" through content as easily.

I, personally, prefer a High Rate server that's done properly over a low rate, because as mentioned, when compared the only difference is bigger numbers. It's a psychological effect that makes you think you're getting more for your time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The people in this thread claiming High rates are easy are retarded. It's completely down to the server creator to adjust the stats of bosses, to force people to group etc.

I can't help but feel people still think we're stuck on 2.3 files and we can't go above the stat cap, thus people assume once that cap is hit, everything becomes a breeze.

This is no longer the case. ​Wise up people.

Aldor

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 16, 2013
Acem2 was my first experience with a private server so I'm not really an expert on the subject of low rate vs high rate but surely it comes down to content more than anything.

On Acem2 it took me less than 2 months to reach level 50, and at level 50 I had every skill ingame at max level and from what I saw there was 1 ring and 1 necklace at level 52 which wasn't enough incentive to continue leveling. I'm certainly not bashing Acem2, I enjoyed it immensely but after 2 months of gameplay I was coming to the end of what I perceived as content.

In Mir 3 you gained a lot each time you leveled (hermit stats, etc), but in Mir 2 the diference between a level 50 warrior and a level 55 warrior is so minimal there really is no incentive to leveling other than epeen and the ability to shoulder dash more players.

IMO it comes down to reward vs effort. You either need to offer more of a reward to leveling at 50+ or you go the high rate route to make it less of a ball ache to level. And ofc with high rate you'd find it harder to provide newer content to match the levels.