Highrates

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
people expect to much these days with only having a handful of coders that are already busy. its hard to bring in a decent playerbase. so unless you have know how to or know some one that can and will i cant see the server getting much attention.

i could throw up a high rate server with in a month or so with a decent amount of content the only problem is i am limited to abusing scripts and making custom maps. sure for the start thats fine but what happens when i would have to reuse the same AI's? people would soon get bored.

I am sure we will see some amazing HR servers again once more people start to learn. but its a shame that stats are hard capped people love big numbers!

Don't talk **** lol, every time a shitty high rate is braught up for some quick $$, like that Insane server for example the day of opening, 50-60 player but these are mostly romanians who are opening these servers and then they add no new content or anything, a decent high rate right now could bring in 100+ users easily.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Don't talk **** lol, every time a shitty high rate is braught up for some quick $$, like that Insane server for example the day of opening, 50-60 player but these are mostly romanians who are opening these servers and then they add no new content or anything, a decent high rate right now could bring in 100+ users easily.

This.

Could easily get 100+ users on a decent HR, but if people insit on LR's atleast make it different.... why copy euro

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
This.

Could easily get 100+ users on a decent HR, but if people insit on LR's atleast make it different.... why copy euro

Would be nice to see somebody put the time into making a Crystal High rate, will be a lot of work balancing it but could be great.

ipwnu

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2015
for me a high rate is a server you dont HAVE to grind on.

for instance bens servers apart from the donators you could play a few hours a day and not fall behind, or quit for 6 months and catch up again in a month as the content is cycled and staggered every few months

---------- Post Merged at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:54 PM ----------

for me a high rate is a server you dont HAVE to grind on.

for instance bens servers apart from the donators you could play a few hours a day and not fall behind, or quit for 6 months and catch up again in a month as the content is cycled and staggered every few months

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Thing is most ppl think the difference between a high rate and a low rate is simply some digits in stats/exp/lvls which at least in my opinion is far from true. You can have a server with 0.1x euro exp and max lvl10 and still give it a high-rate "feeling".

Its hard for me to describe that "feeling" and im not sure if what im gonna say is my definition of a high-rate or my opinion of a proper server no matter the server:

- After first couple days (where you fly through lvls no matter the rate) the lvling is steady.
- Major class spells are accessible early on so you can enjoy hunting.
- All Classes are able to do everything on their own at least with the proper items. No more of that "find wizzies if you want to lvl up" crap. No more "be a warrior if you want to kill bosses" crap.
- There is enough solo content. Infact most content should be soloable with the right items other than few big bosses. Obviously to get those items that allow you to solo a cave firstly you should group up a bit in order to get them.
- Low Respawn timers. I never understood the idea of making a KR useless for 3hrs once X boss is dead. Lower the chance of drops but make em spawn sooner. Stop forcing ppl to afk for hours till the bosses are up again.
- No 7 floor caves till kr with no sub-bosses in those floors. Its quite impressive that after 15years noone bothered to fix the rushed euro caves like PT/PSC/PC/PB/MM etc.
- A proper teleport npc. Its the first thing ppl click when they log in your server and one of the few NPC's that they will use constantly till your server dies. After so many years it should be common sense to have Leveling/Hunting/Group/Battle caves.
- Rewarding drop files. That doesnt mean that every boss should drop a rare item (since then it simply wouldnt be rare) but you should get things like exp-pots/gems/orbs/benes/crafting ****/teleport-tokens(will get you to a better cave with a good chance it will be all yours) etc etc. I never understood why for the last 3 years orbs have basicly been abandonned. They were a major mir feature and a great way to reward hunting.
-Exp pots. A great way to both reward hunting and also CONTROL leveling rate. Im not talking about the current **** 1.2x exp pots that are strictly a gg shop item and have barely any impact other than causing cries. Im talking about 2x/3x/5x/10x/20x exp pots that last 15mins-1hr that allow server maker to control how fast ppl will level (pretty easy for example to make em work up to lvl60 and have a soft-cap lvl60+). Also it sort of stops the no-lifers from rushing through content since they will be forced to boss-hunt in order to lvl at a fast rate.

In general a high-rate is not a server where ppl just fly through lvls and have 1million different item sets for every XX lvls with names and stats noone knows or cares. Galaxy server for exaple is not a high-rate. Its a sh it-rate.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Thing is most ppl think the difference between a high rate and a low rate is simply some digits in stats/exp/lvls which at least in my opinion is far from true. You can have a server with 0.1x euro exp and max lvl10 and still give it a high-rate "feeling".

Its hard for me to describe that "feeling" and im not sure if what im gonna say is my definition of a high-rate or my opinion of a proper server no matter the server:

- After first couple days (where you fly through lvls no matter the rate) the lvling is steady.
- Major class spells are accessible early on so you can enjoy hunting.
- All Classes are able to do everything on their own at least with the proper items. No more of that "find wizzies if you want to lvl up" crap. No more "be a warrior if you want to kill bosses" crap.
- There is enough solo content. Infact most content should be soloable with the right items other than few big bosses. Obviously to get those items that allow you to solo a cave firstly you should group up a bit in order to get them.
- Low Respawn timers. I never understood the idea of making a KR useless for 3hrs once X boss is dead. Lower the chance of drops but make em spawn sooner. Stop forcing ppl to afk for hours till the bosses are up again.
- No 7 floor caves till kr with no sub-bosses in those floors. Its quite impressive that after 15years noone bothered to fix the rushed euro caves like PT/PSC/PC/PB/MM etc.
- A proper teleport npc. Its the first thing ppl click when they log in your server and one of the few NPC's that they will use constantly till your server dies. After so many years it should be common sense to have Leveling/Hunting/Group/Battle caves.
- Rewarding drop files. That doesnt mean that every boss should drop a rare item (since then it simply wouldnt be rare) but you should get things like exp-pots/gems/orbs/benes/crafting ****/teleport-tokens(will get you to a better cave with a good chance it will be all yours) etc etc. I never understood why for the last 3 years orbs have basicly been abandonned. They were a major mir feature and a great way to reward hunting.
-Exp pots. A great way to both reward hunting and also CONTROL leveling rate. Im not talking about the current **** 1.2x exp pots that are strictly a gg shop item and have barely any impact other than causing cries. Im talking about 2x/3x/5x/10x/20x exp pots that last 15mins-1hr that allow server maker to control how fast ppl will level (pretty easy for example to make em work up to lvl60 and have a soft-cap lvl60+). Also it sort of stops the no-lifers from rushing through content since they will be forced to boss-hunt in order to lvl at a fast rate.

In general a high-rate is not a server where ppl just fly through lvls and have 1million different item sets for every XX lvls with names and stats noone knows or cares. Galaxy server for exaple is not a high-rate. Its a sh it-rate.

Agreed. Just wish their was a set of stable files i could create a server on, how-ever their all crap and easily exploitable atm.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Agreed. Just wish their was a set of stable files i could create a server on, how-ever their all crap and easily exploitable atm.

I dont understand why ppl are so obsessed with server files. If someone launched tomorrow OS 2.3 i bet a lot of ppl would enjoy it including me.

Yes C# files feel amazing but i've yet to see a complete server using at least all features 2.3 files had and also they are so unfair against melee classes.

Mir community is so small and so thirsty of a FUN server that i dont think its necessary for everything to be perfect. Be that a bit outdated files but bug-free like 2.3s or a bit buggy with the odd crash C# files.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
I dont understand why ppl are so obsessed with server files. If someone launched tomorrow OS 2.3 i bet a lot of ppl would enjoy it including me.

Yes C# files feel amazing but i've yet to see a complete server using at least all features 2.3 files had and also they are so unfair against melee classes.

Mir community is so small and so thirsty of a FUN server that i dont think its necessary for everything to be perfect. Be that a bit outdated files but bug-free like 2.3s or a bit buggy with the odd crash C# files.

Ye, people would love it.,

Then the ******s would crash it/exploit/cheat and ruin it for everyone else.

The firewall will last 20 minutes, and totally ruin PVP.

Basically, their too many PVP affecting bugs on Heroes/2.3 to make it viable long term, I've never used C#, but from what i have seen atm with a steady usercount it goes down more than my mum at a stag do.

Nothing you can do to fix them with a 2.3 either, a Heroes you could, if you could code. which i cant, and im not smart enough to learn either. ha.

I think the Chronciles team are the only ones who could pull it off. They could have a Monopoly haha, like a P and D.

Last edited:

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I think there is a constant battle between the dedicated player and the casual player...

Dedicated players prefer low rates because they have the time/commitment to be able to succeed at them.

Casual players are not so keen on LR's and feel hard done by because they will never be able to commit as much time/energy to a character as a dedicated player.

Unfortunately this divide would exist in a LR or a HR... But I think HR ease (or at least mask) the pain a little. I know some believe that a level cap is the answer... I feel this just flips the above friction the other way around (casual players are happy because they have a chance to catch and dedicated players are annoyed because they are being blocked).

The community is missing a decent HR though (unless Arcadia is a HR?)

Sam

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Sort of agree and sort of dont.

- I dont remember PVP having that big issues on 2.3 . Infact i believe it was way better compared to the "i can hit you with FD even if you SD" C# files.
- Who said you cant remove completely FW if it annoys you? Or limit it to 3 casts like some servers have done. Ok i understand you dont have code access to fix it the optimal way you want but with some creativity there are things you can do.
- If ppl bother to cheat on your server it means it had succeeded already. Worst case scenario monitor em and act accordingly.

Also another note. Ppl keep trying to make the perfect server that will last forever while this is impossible and pointless. Even Blizzard on a AAA game like Diablo keeps resetting ladder. I would prefer 2-3month fun servers that reset at the end of the "season", fix/change/add some things and then relaunch. Treat Mir like an Arpg instead of a MMORPG.

I think there is a constant battle between the dedicated player and the casual player...

Dedicated players prefer low rates because they have the time/commitment to be able to succeed at them.

Casual players are not so keen on LR's and feel hard done by because they will never be able to commit as much time/energy to a character as a dedicated player.

Unfortunately this divide would exist in a LR or a HR... But I think HR ease (or at least mask) the pain a little. I know some believe that a level cap is the answer... I feel this just flips the above friction the other way around (casual players are happy because they have a chance to catch and dedicated players are annoyed because they are being blocked).

Sam

I believe you are mistaken there. The time required from someone to put on a server is irrelevant to the rate of the server as some ppl who have played Ben's servers and wasted countless hours can prove.

Mir is one of the few open-world open-pvp games that exist. Its unique in its own way. Thats its beauty and its major problem. If you make all caves/bosses worth hunting (like you should in order to have an active economy for everyone) then you have lvl50s kill lvl40s on a low rate or lvl100s kill lvl70s on a high rate without the lower lvl ppl able to put up a fight because of the stat difference and the spell difference.

There are way to fix that or at least attempt to fix that problem which is irrelevant from the rate.

Why noone has ever bothered to include for example a "stamina system" where every teleport requires some stamina points which last for example for 4-5hrs of hunting, are refreshed at midnight and also some active ways to gain stamina for the people that have more than 4-5hrs per day? People with a lot of time in their hunts would still be ahead of the rest but not miles ahead. Also some instanced-caves where u can hunt without the danger of a guy thats miles ahead will come and rape you.

These could be both **** ideas and for sure have their pros and cons but my point is that there are ways to make "most" people happy no matter if they are dedicated or casual.

Last edited:

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003

Sam

The Chronicle files are great, but as you said, casuals don't have the time too compete. I am surprised you haven't thought of recruiting someone like Ben too create a high rate on your files.

With 1 low rate and 1 high rate you could end up with nearly everyone who enjoys mir.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I think the Chronciles team are the only ones who could pull it off. They could have a Monopoly haha, like a P and D.

You sweetheart :D...

The Chronicle files are great, but as you said, casuals don't have the time too compete. I am surprised you haven't thought of recruiting someone like Ben too create a high rate on your files.

With 1 low rate and 1 high rate you could end up with nearly everyone who enjoys mir.

I think it is a trust thing, I know a lot of the community enjoy Ben's servers and I can't say he is not a good server owner (because he is), but do I feel like I could trust him? Probably not... It is a shame, because I do think there is a gap for a HR at the moment but me and the Chronicles team just don't have the capacity at the moment.

It is almost a shame that Scorp already has two servers to focus on, a joint alliance between Arcadia and Chronicles to produce a decent HR could have been very interesting.

Sam

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Also another idea for "lvl cap" is the paragon lvls as presented on Diablo.

Max lvl45 for example and afterwards you gain paragon lvls that give you stats items or whatever.

The result will be everyone will eventually be lvl45 and have access to same items/spells but the ppl that put more time will have more stats/rewards from paragon lvls along with more items/spells due to actually playing more.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
You sweetheart :D...

I think it is a trust thing, I know a lot of the community enjoy Ben's servers and I can't say he is not a good server owner (because he is), but do I feel like I could trust him? Probably not... It is a shame, because I do think there is a gap for a HR at the moment but me and the Chronicles team just don't have the capacity at the moment.

It is almost a shame that Scorp already has two servers to focus on, a joint alliance between Arcadia and Chronicles to produce a decent HR could have been very interesting.

Sam

I'll do it.

Im well trustworthy.

I once held a guys sandwhich while he got his train ticket out of his pocket.

And i only took a small bite.....

Arcadia/P69 are Lowrates.

HR i believe are massively miss-named and miss-understood though, any HR i make would not be an easy server with level 500 in a day and a massive horrible over sized skins that just look ****.

Thats just called a **** rate.

Sam

I disagree with this, i dont mind putting in commitment, how-ever i just dont want to repeat myself. and spend 2 years getting like 48 and a sowg.

Been their, done that. lol

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say causal player has it better on HR server because casual usually or often means solo playing and on HR even solo player has better chance to put his hand on decent items because on HR good items can drop from normal mobs even, not just bosses. Nothing kills interest in playing more than losing hope of getting at least stock items for your level.

To make lasting server (even if nothing lasts forever) I have a heretical idea LOL
We all know the huge difference btw going solo and in grps, even grp of just two players have it pea easy vs mobs/boss mobs (they go down fast & hardly scratch you, but we all know that). That's why I think exp in grps should be set so low that it would pretty well deter leveling in grps, basically pple would grp up only to defeat something strong to get drops, not to gain experience points better way than going solo. You could still go out with your buddies to level and even if you wouldn't be in grp you would be better off because you could go places thick with mobs and they wouldn't all swarm just on you but only one player would get the kill per mob.

Even better idea, so that you don't loose all social and some practical benefits of being in a grp (like grp chat, recall etc), perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult to have two different ways you could grp up, in the second grp kind the exp would stay individual, that is not shared. For all I know perhaps the grp exp settings in the crystal files already allow for it or could allow with some code tweak?

This whole idea is a take off on the extreme LR Sanjian's Origin server that is being advertised here but it goes further and would fit even HR servers. I think it would greatly reduce the level gap on both LR & HR servers (whether you are a casual player or joining at a later date). The whole idea about gaining better exp in grps than going solo can most likely be traced to mir's origins in the East where pple are led to collective ways of life and it gets reflected in the game design - playing solo is unsocial and should not be supported and vice versa.

Last edited:

excluded

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 31, 2006
Peeps would make a decent HR server if files were released in the right state.
(not dissing the work that has been done to this date)
Files available are awesome ...... but

There's a few out there that know how to do things better and faster then others - this information is not released like it use to be.
so in a previous reply:

5 servers are made with same content just put into a different way - this makes no fun for anyone.

To me - LOMCN changed when ACEm2 decided to open a showcase server on the AceM2 files, (i was roughly bout ready to open a hero server)
but then the team announced that they was changing from showcase server to become a live server, this was when I stopped on my server cause where i was 1 man team, they had a full team of coders and everything.
This is where the (My work is my own and no-one else is having) era came in, and people stopped releasing + sharing.

Anyone who releases something on here I praise but i guarantee -- even with Crystal Files that something has been removed so peeps getting a set always miss something, even without realizing.

LOMCN needs to create a trusted Server creator section were all files and fixes are released but only server creators can gain access.
What happened to the time when people took pride in someone else using what they created?

All the Best to Server's out there :)

Mason

SMT