Host...

DarkDragon14

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2003
Orlando, Florida
I am not sure where to post this so admin please move this to the place its supposed to be if it's in the wrong spot. I do not have a screenshot of the current specs of the computer but if you are interested at all please send me a message or reply here. I have never hosted a server before but have always been into mir and wanted to host one but never had a spare computer, and now I do. =) I will need tutoring in how to do it so if you have a server you are in the process of making please send me a message. Thanks for your time =).

-DD

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
You need to post a speed test of your connection speeds. Both upload and download, You also need to show the host computers specs I.E Goto Start right click My Computer then select Properties then print screen and post that here.

You may also want to state what OS your on I.E Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 ect

Another good thing to state would be what sort of server your willing to host, A high rate which perhaps wouldnt quite last as long as a medium low rate.

You may want to state your age, How much spare time you have and how long you can host for.

Good luck.

combie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 8, 2003
Crimond, Scotland
I would also mention the up/down time likely and also if you are a heavy user of P2P/times you use P2P as this will impact on server usage due to the shared bandwidth...

DarkDragon14

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2003
Orlando, Florida
Okay thanks for all the replies. I will be getting on that computer momentarily to show the specs and do the tests. I am 20 years old and looking for a med-high rate server to host. I am always available as I live at home until March and I play major league baseball so I dont have much to do but be on the computer until then haha...Again thanks for replies I will get what i need as fast as I can.

Speed Test ^

9j1zdf.jpg

Specs for host comp ^...it is windows vista '02 i believe

Last edited:

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
Here's my review.

You'll need to put more RAM (1.5 - 2GB) to host mir3.

CPU is at bare minimum which is okay. (I don't think this one is a hyperthreaded ones right?)

Windows XP is fine.

Speed is very good for FL, USA. Not sure if it will be lag free for euro users.

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Here's my review.

You'll need to put more RAM (1.5 - 2GB) to host mir3.

CPU is at bare minimum which is okay. (I don't think this one is a hyperthreaded ones right?)

Windows XP is fine.

Speed is very good for FL, USA. Not sure if it will be lag free for euro users.

Im pretty sure hes posted on the mir2 thread? oO

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
depends on the user count, and size of the database

id say at least 2gb+ tho

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Thats a nice connection but as said your definatly going to need another stick of ram. Dont be fooled by most people though 2gb is fine for a user count that averages around 50-60. You could possibly even get away with just upgrading to 1gb.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
Im pretty sure hes posted on the mir2 thread? oO

Yeah. I thought it was in mir 3.. for now I'll blame the new skin/theme that made the font super small.

Okay so anyone know how much upgrading from 500mb ram to 2 gb would cost me?

Based on your P4-2.66, I'll assume your system uses DDR PC2700

4 x 512M DDR PC3200 would cost you about 70-90US

You'll need to look at your existing ram config.
grab CPU-Z and look at the ram specs in your system.

once you get the cpu-z. run it.
goto memory tab take a screenshot.
goto SPD tab and take a note how many Slots you have and how many empty slots (or you should take a screenshot of each slot just in case)