How much would insurance be for a 17 year old?

Viper

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 14, 2007
Newcastle
12k? o0, first time drivers are looking around 800-1500+ for for 1st year depending on car/age etc

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
Well im looking at getting a 306 as its only once i can really afford atm, untill feb when i start working and ill be 17 ;\

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
1. dont get a 306, how much u plannin on spendin on a car?

2. if u have ur job title as a civil servant, working in the civil service your insurance will drop quite a bit (u can put this if your on the dole aswell because basically your working for the government as it is them who is paying you ;) )

3. add 2x women drivers who have been driving for 10+ years, who have had no accidents or claims, this seems to half my insurance price

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
half the milage estimate
go third party fire and theft
say its kept in a private garage

that will reduce it.

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
half the milage estimate
go third party fire and theft
say its kept in a private garage

that will reduce it.

the third party fire and theft isnt always right, iv had a few quotes where fully comp was cheaper
dont ask why as it baffles me lol but always check between fully comp and third party fire and theft.

third party seems to always be the dearest

hellcaster

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 24, 2005
im looking to spend about max £500, yes its not a lot but im not looking for top of the range car jus a decent one to get me to college and back.

T0MMY

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 5, 2007
United Kingdom
Am looking for a first car, i own a car but am no way insuring it because it hybrid diesel injection 1.4, peugeot 206. Quote on that was 3 grand with pass plus scheme.

Look for a one litre car e.g. saxo, micra, yaris, aygo.

Make sure you in insurance group one and you will get a cheap insurance.

Insurance group 1 list:

http://www.car-insurance-for-learner-driver.com/group1-car-insurance.php

However if you wanting a corsa, get the 1.2 litre because it not much more to insure than a 1 litre corsa.

If you want more help, add my msn.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
12k? o0, first time drivers are looking around 800-1500+ for for 1st year depending on car/age etc

More like £1500-2000.

Look at buying a small engine car, something like a clio 1.2, fiesta 1.2, punto, corsa ect ect.

All within you £500 budget, yes you may enounter problems with them, yes they may be **** cars, but there cheap to buy, and cheap to insure.

As mentioned, make sure you go 3rd party Fire & theft, dont go fully comp, no point.

Average mileage these days they say about 12k, say your going to be doing 6-8k, dont go too low though.

Be careful where you say its parked, but if you have a garage/drive, say its parked there even if it wont be. If you dont have a garage / drive... erm if you lie and try to claim, you may get a "piss off".

Dont bother modding it in anyway unless your willing to pay silly money, will only push your insurance up, and if you dont tell them it will void your insurance,which could lead you getting into trouble from the police if you get stopped.

I'd say you will be looking at £1.2k to insure a 1.2 car.

T0MMY

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 5, 2007
United Kingdom
More like £1500-2000.

Look at buying a small engine car, something like a clio 1.2, fiesta 1.2, punto, corsa ect ect.

All within you £500 budget, yes you may enounter problems with them, yes they may be **** cars, but there cheap to buy, and cheap to insure.

As mentioned, make sure you go 3rd party Fire & theft, dont go fully comp, no point.

Average mileage these days they say about 12k, say your going to be doing 6-8k, dont go too low though.

Be careful where you say its parked, but if you have a garage/drive, say its parked there even if it wont be. If you dont have a garage / drive... erm if you lie and try to claim, you may get a "piss off".

Dont bother modding it in anyway unless your willing to pay silly money, will only push your insurance up, and if you dont tell them it will void your insurance,which could lead you getting into trouble from the police if you get stopped.

I'd say you will be looking at £1.2k to insure a 1.2 car.

Wrong mate, my mate got a fiat punto 1.2 and he got it for 1.3k with pass plus scheme. so around about there.

I'd say 900 squid for a 1litre with pass plus scheme and garage.

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
Am looking for a first car, i own a car but am no way insuring it because it hybrid diesel injection 1.4, peugeot 206. Quote on that was 3 grand with pass plus scheme.

Look for a one litre car e.g. saxo, micra, yaris, aygo.

Make sure you in insurance group one and you will get a cheap insurance.

Insurance group 1 list:

http://www.car-insurance-for-learner-driver.com/group1-car-insurance.php

However if you wanting a corsa, get the 1.2 litre because it not much more to insure than a 1 litre corsa.

If you want more help, add my msn.

the insurance group 1 crap is a load of balls, try get insured on a smart car, theyre insurance group 1 n cost me 3k because theyre mercedes.

dont just look at insurance groups, look at reliable cars.
my insurance on a 306 was 2k, then i got a 2litre mondeo n it was 1700.

you just gotta look about n fiddle with stuff, insurance changes depending on wot day it is lol its stupid

and for pass plus, only some companies take it into consideration.... most dont so it dnt make a difference 99% of time

and as for the 1.2 corsa.... dont bother, you'll spend more fixing it then u wud payin for a 3litre

i managed to get a quote for a 4litre jag for 1080 other day, just shows it can change depending on the day lol just hope tht u drop on :P

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
i passed my car test when i was 19, and my insurance was £1100 for a 1.4 rover 25 and i had 1 ncb from my motorbike F&F

your going tobe classed a high risk due to boy racers. thats what i got told

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
i passed my car test when i was 19, and my insurance was £1100 for a 1.4 rover 25 and i had 1 ncb from my motorbike F&F

your going tobe classed a high risk due to boy racers. thats what i got told

from what i know, you cant use your ncb from bikes on cars? thts wot iv been told lol

you get rid of the high risk by adding the 2 women i mentioned in a earlier post :thumbup1:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Wrong mate, my mate got a fiat punto 1.2 and he got it for 1.3k with pass plus scheme. so around about there.

I'd say 900 squid for a 1litre with pass plus scheme and garage.
1 litre-1.2 litre not much different at all, and its really not going to knock that much off your insurance.

You can go from about 1-1.4 litre without much difference, depending on the car.

Pass plus isnt worth it either, only works for your first insurance I believe? How much does it cost to save maybe 200 quid on insurance? I wouldnt really bother with it tbh.

Primal

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jun 28, 2004
1 litre-1.2 litre not much different at all, and its really not going to knock that much off your insurance.

You can go from about 1-1.4 litre without much difference, depending on the car.

Pass plus isnt worth it either, only works for your first insurance I believe? How much does it cost to save maybe 200 quid on insurance? I wouldnt really bother with it tbh.

whats ur mg like? u had much problems with it? im lookin at gettin 1

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
from what i know, you cant use your ncb from bikes on cars? thts wot iv been told lol

you get rid of the high risk by adding the 2 women i mentioned in a earlier post :thumbup1:
well i insured my motorbike with lexham which also insured my car with them