Help how to edit maps ??

Join Discord

Xzanidu

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Aug 20, 2019
Hi all so i have the Standalone Map editor . i can direct it to my client and open maps no problem at all i can ad remove assets easily enough . but how do i actually create or edit a new map. ive tried some simple things like just adding a tiled area down where sz is . but my problem is i cannot find any objects tiles ect to add anything. how and where do i find all the images items to build /edit maps thx in advance .

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
There's an objects download in the stickied thread. Put that in your client and then click the load objects button on the left and choose the folder

Reactions: Xzanidu
Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
You mean, mir3 maps are edited using the new Far's zircon map editor?
All the time I thought it was just for zircon map format, .zl is it, right?

Mir3 maps (.map) can be edited in mir2 map editor. The lib set for this crystal map editor always came with mir3 libraries.

We are in mir3 help section... maybe was supposed to be in zircon one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
Hi all so i have the Standalone Map editor . i can direct it to my client and open maps no problem at all i can ad remove assets easily enough . but how do i actually create or edit a new map. ive tried some simple things like just adding a tiled area down where sz is . but my problem is i cannot find any objects tiles ect to add anything. how and where do i find all the images items to build /edit maps thx in advance .
when you open the editor on the top left it says new once you press this a box should open up to ask what size map you want to make. once you decide press ok. Now to get a base tile on the map. on the right side there is tiles at top right click the drop down and pick one, if the issues is when you pick one of the drop downs and nothing shows, that would suggest that you have not set the files up right

Set the client path to your base client folder (NOT DATA)
Set the map path to be map folder you want to default saving to (Server or Client map folder)

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
You mean, mir3 maps are edited using the new Far's zircon map editor?
All the time I thought it was just for zircon map format, .zl is it, right?

Mir3 maps (.map) can be edited in mir2 map editor. The lib set for this crystal map editor always came with mir3 libraries.

We are in mir3 help section... maybe was supposed to be in zircon one?

zircon doesn't have its own map format like crystal. It uses the official korean mir3 map format.

So you can edit maps in the zircon editor and open them in crystal should you wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't know that, in my mind Zircon files and .zl map extension were Jamie's proprietary format and that your map editor was just for Zircon maps with .zl extension.

you can edit maps in the zricon editor and open them in crystal should you wish.

Do you need to save them out in .map format then, or will Crystal files work with .zl extension?

From what you say, it would appear that Crystal files including its map editor can open and work with Zircon maps but your ZIrcon map editor and Zircon server/client are not backward compatible with crystal mir2 & mir3 *.map format.

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I didn't know that, in my mind Zircon files and .zl map extension were Jamie's proprietary format and that your map editor was just for Zircon maps with .zl extension.

Do you need to save them out in .map format then, or will Crystal files work with .zl extension?

From what you say, it would appear that Crystal files including its map editor can open and work with Zircon maps but your ZIrcon map editor and Zircon server/client are not backward compatible with crystal mir2 & mir3 *.map format.
.zl is just the data format for zircon. So if you open a mir3.map file in crystal, it would use the .lib data files that crystal uses. If you open a mir3.map file in zircon, it would use the .zl data files that zircon uses.

Just the same that if you opens mir3.map with the official mir3 korean client, it would use the .wil/.wix data files that client uses.

.Map files and data files (.zl, .lib, .wil etc) are not linked in any sense.

And yes, Zircon map editor/ Zircon client is not compatible with any other formats like mir2 as it doesn't contain the code to read multiple map formats like crystal (which can read about 10 different map formats)

Reactions: mir2pion
Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I checked it out and indeed, Zircon maps open in Crystal Map Editor. Last time I really looked at Zircon was when it was released and I mistakenly thought that its maps also have .zl extension, not just the libraries.

I take it then, your new map editor only works with .zl libraries.

If Zircon .zl libraries have the same tiles in them as mir3 .lib ones in m2 Crystal client, it opens a way to use some features of your new map editor built for Zircon that mir2 map editor doesn't have (or you implemented some features better) when working on mir3 maps. Those maps can then be used in mir2 client.

Now if Zircon also had all mir2 libraries in its .zl format, your editor could be used where the crystal editor comes up short.

Is there a library editor for Zircon *.zl libraries that can export/import bmp tiles? If yes, then mir2 *.lib tiles could be exported and in turn imported into .zl libraries and voila, you could edit mir2 maps in your Zircon editor.

And how it is with objects in your Zircon map editor? Can those be used by Crystal map editor? I suppose I could look it up but might as well ask.

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
No you can't just change .lib to .zl and have it work. Zircon map editor would need full knowledge of mir2 image positions and map formats etc.

The objects created will also only work in the zircon map editor, and I've not released the source code for the mir3 map editor.

Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
o you can't just change .lib to .zl and have it work.
I know, but if I export bitmap tiles from mir2 libraries, then if there is a Zircon library editor that imports bmps into its .zl libraires, that would create a bridge btw the two lib systems even if no conversion of the two exist.

But maybe there is no equivalent of mir2 Library Editor and there is no way to export bmps from Zircon .zl libraries, or import them.

In this roundabout way, I changed .pak into .lib even if there is no convertor btw the two formats. I also changed .wil to .lib in this way even when a direct lib format conversion doesn't work (not sure if it works for some wils).

Last edited:
Upvote 0