Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
Tao Taoism
Ta-ow
depending on how fast you speak taowisum or just fast Taoism
Tao is a Chinese word don't add your ownbritish rules to it you speak it out as its written

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
soz Tom but that isnt really clear do u make it sound like salad dressing - mayo naise or the alt pronunciation I tried to show above?
Ta like tap with the sound of the the o in of or dog or top. Not the o as in go.
Check the links I gave and listen to them.
Plus, you have to bare in mind that people have "accents", which will also effect how we pronounce different words.
Every person I know irl who plays mir pronounces it as "Taa ohh" or "Taay ohh" or "Taa ow".

I guess the only way to really find out is by listening to the person who created the word saying it.
There is no right and wrong, its simply down to personal accents.

bayya

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 19, 2012
How chinese does Tayo to rhyme with mayo sound? (whatever your accent) Tao to rhyme with how now brown cow is much more chinese sounding.

If you say some words wrongly in Chinese it means something else.
There are words in English that mean something else if u pronounce it wrong like bow (rhymes with cow) when you mean bow to rhyme with go. I hope u tied your shoelaces in the right bow.
So it isnt a choice or a matter of opinion or an accent. Its about being understood.
Thats why I gave sound links

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Tao Taoism
Ta-ow
depending on how fast you speak taowisum or just fast Taoism
Tao is a Chinese word don't add your ownbritish rules to it you speak it out as its written

Tao is an English word. It's an anglicised approximation of the Chinese word that, if written (drawn ?), very few of us would understand.
Like Peking. It's what the place was called for years until someone, somewhere decided it's now to be called Beijing. Just a different anglicised version of a Chinese name.

bayya

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 19, 2012
ok have a look and listen to some chinese ppl saying the word tao or taoism on you tube here's one link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGcLo7f08s

And the change from Peking to Beijing was after an international agreement about how non roman alphabets were to be written in english characters. This included arabic greek russian and languages from the Indian sub continent. Idea was that all nations would transliterate them the same way. It was not some bloke in room makin it up as he went along - honest. Even if it looks that way.

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Lol, some bloke has got a lot to answer for.
I don't care what anyone decides, I'm not going to start saying Munchen !

Any Chinese care to respond regarding Tao ? Come on, you know you want to.
I think someone said Hao earlier in the thread.
It's a good example. Does Tao sound like the Hao of Ni hao ?

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
Thing is the Chinese word sounds precisely as its written in English on Chinese say the word faster
the ist and ism was added by the British
dont give me tayoh crap it's a short fast spoken word

bayya

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 19, 2012
Lol, some bloke has got a lot to answer for.
I don't care what anyone decides, I'm not going to start saying Munchen !

Any Chinese care to respond regarding Tao ? Come on, you know you want to.
I think someone said Hao earlier in the thread.
It's a good example. Does Tao sound like the Hao of Ni hao ?

Lol Its about tryin to write in English the way the residents say things. Back in the day "some explorer" bloke would have a stab at writing what he thought he heard. That's why they tried to standardise it all.
As for Chinese response I already found a youtube link to a Chinese Taoist talking. see above. There's quite a few on youtube and none of the ones I looked at say tayo to rhyme with mayo(naise)

paintballer

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 5, 2013
darlington
See it's weird because from the start of mir I always said it like 'toe-a' but I'm a Geordie so hey ho we can't even fckin speak according to most..

then I met a few guys around 7 month ago and started saying Tayoh, ball bags rubbed off on me.

xD i am no ball bag sir =P

MythRohan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
Northant's Town : Serious Gamer
It's just Taoist shortened.

Which is promounced Tayoh-ist, so Tayoh it is for me.

It's not pronounced Towist.

This .... i +Rep u here

other people wtf is this thread about in all fairness

u cant say to a chinese man NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ur SAYING IT WRONG! just kus they say egg fwy wice

and we say egg fried rice...

this post is sad

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Tao like the ao of Ni hao.

Also...

Meer
Saybook Wall
Be shon Wall