Improving taming... (Suggestions please)

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
When I played mir properly years and years (and years) ago I used to love popping into ST taming some maggots and spooning WT KR with 5 maggots at my side...

Since then I have floated around some servers and feel with the advancement of skills/caves taming is sorely forgotten and outdated.

Some causes of the problem are obviously server owner related by not making tamable pets strong enough etc etc, but the main issue for me is a tamed pet finally gets to a stage where it is beneficial then it un-tames and you have to spend 15-20minutes re-taming it or a new one.

So, anyways, I am trying to think of ways to relight this skill from a development perspective and so far I have thought of the following:
- Luck effecting chance based skills (previously luck only really benefits warriors, but I was thinking that luck could increase your chances of taming/turn undead etc).
- 5 Minute warning (when your pets have 5 minutes left of being your slave, you get a warning every minute (or so) about them untaming).
- higher chance of retaming period (a 30second window when a pet untames you have double/triple the chance of a retame (or something like that).
- Increased pet commands (things like being able to rest pets individually, have them attacking but not walking, walking but not attacking etc etc etc)...

Really what I would like is some feedback on the above ideas and if you have any good ideas you think might be worth mentioning, then please do :).

Sam

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
I was just thinking about this the other day, if I was able to i'd do the following:

Instant 1 hit taming on living creatures below/your current level. Either success or the monster will die.
Pet management bars at the right below the map. Just a small icon and Health bars/ taming timer decreasing.
Pet enhancement spell. Sacrafice % Health/MC to make pets strength increases by % for duration of a buff of some sort.
Could make this graphically appeasing by making the monster grow in size for the duration of the buff also.

Item prefixes, like Luck/Accuracy which relate to pets. Not just wizard pets but also taoist pets.
Examples:
HuntersMark (Stone) Increase pet damage by 25%.
IronWill (Bracelet) AC3-3 & Increases pet armour by 25%
LifeAura (Ring) Health +100 % increases pet health pool by 25%

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I was thinking a pet bar might be nice... Showing health, current buffs and duration left in minutes/seconds...

When your mouse hovers over one of your own pets then bar appears in corner or something...

I'm also trying to think of a good way to extend pet duration but merph I'm a do'er not a thinker it seems :/

Sam

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
Everytime it levels you could gain 15 minutes more tame time?
So when you tame it you have 15minutes to get it to level 1 otherwise it'll untame.
As soon as it hits level 1 the 15 minutes time resets and begins to countdown again.

Once its level 7 you could have extra 30mins or so with it.
If you wanted more indepth gameplay. You could have a consumable buff that increases tame time of pets by like 5/10/15 after consumption.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I don't think forcing people into leveling the pets is beneficial, because don't forget whichever pet gets the first hit gets the exp of the mob, so one may end up nearly never being leveled.

Which brings me to my idea. Shared EXP for your pets. Any/all exp is shared and distributed evenly to each pet. This allows them to level up at the same time - which would mean an upgrade-time-per-level system as you mentioned could actually be useful.

I like the idea of it warning you when you've only got 5/4/3/2/1 minute left until pet untames, because this made Guild Territorys useful (well, back on Euro Mir it did) because I'd time when my Frost Tigers would untame, then go to GT and wait it out, then re-tame them. This also meant I could leave them there for any others to tame also when I was offline.

I would however like a "save" feature, where if you reach level 7 with a pet, you get the option to "save" it, and it stores it away one time only, for a re-use (whenever you want to use it again, however can't spawn it wherever you want, has to be in X place) This can only be done once per pet, so if it dies, you have to re-level the same pet to 7 to get the save feature again.

I loved taming on Euro mir. Taming those overpowered to hell Fox spiders in Fox Cave was fun as ****, then going to ZT and watch as they tear everything apart =D

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I really like some of the ideas guys...

I like group exp for pets I think this is a must and can't believe iv not thought of this before...

The level increase is another brilliant idea I can imagine starting point at 2hours say then an extra 15minutes per level... 7 levels totals in at around nearly 4 hours.

Pet saving has always been a bit touch and go for me... But I know the frustration of loosing pets due to lag... I guess It can be made smarter in the sense that if you haven't pressed logout/exit then it should save your pets... But pressing exit would clear the save record...

Hummm things to think about :D n1 guys

Sam

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Used to love taming on euro mir, even if i ever really got to level 22 odd lol, use to get some oma fighters and take them to the mines :D all the suggestions have been great and would be good implimented into the game.

Also noticed Sam doesn't live that far from me(Southampton), small world o/

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Is a small world :P I have only recently moved down here mind, originally from landan..

oO~Unknown~Oo

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Dec 4, 2007
UK
Yay electricshock can come in use now! I miss the old euro days where you'd tame a pet and so on, more options/functions for this feature would be great, could come handy! Sounds interesting btw, what project are you working on?

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I'm not working on Arcadia no, although the project sounds very interesting... I am working on a new project with a couple of other well known lomcn characters (which is going well :) ) I'm excited about it anyways :)