Installation problem!

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Hi all,

A mate of mine just bought a new laptop recently and it has Vista installed on it and I'm trying to downgrade it to XP.

I've set the CD-ROM to first boot device and booted the system up, problem is when I'm just about to run the setup its throwing up this error.

'Windows did not find any hard drives installed on your computer.

Make sure any hard disks are powered on and properly connected to you computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program.'

Anyone help me out with this ?

Cheers.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Goto the bios find The Hard drive mode change it from whatever it is to IDE then save bios and load the disk, This is just off the top of my head so have not explained it in full detail!

After doing this it will reconise the hard drive.

Hope this helps though.

/Zen2

mapadale

You can't downgrade from VISTA unless you use a program like partion magic.

Also if its a new laptop, then its using SATA and so XP won't be able to read the sata devices. XP has to have third party sata drivers loaded before going into installation.

Ether that or use a nice little program for creating your own version of XP with the drivers all ready added and no you won't beable to find an XP version with your drivers.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Also if its a new laptop, then its using SATA and so XP won't be able to read the sata devices. XP has to have third party sata drivers loaded before going into installation.

I'm guessing I could throw the drivers onto a flash drive then and install them during the initial stage of the setup.

Ta for the help peeps.