Don't think it has 5 cores lol...

Same about i3, i7

Compare it tu a DualCore/Quadcore

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Quite a few different versions of the i5 processor, but the most recent set to be released (sandybridge processors) are i5 2500/2500k

Dno about i3, but I know that the i5 2500/2500k (K means it's unlocked for overclocking) has 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads. i7 2600 has 4 cores but 8 hyperthreads. Which'll be better for stuff like video editing and what have you!

If you were to buy one of these for, say, gaming, there would be next to no difference in gaming from a i5 and a i7!

i7 2600k

i5 2500k

But yeah, you get a ton of i7 processors. Typically they're all around the same clock speed but the more expensive ones tend to come with either more hyperthreads, cores or a bigger cache! And they're more overclockable!

Reactions: Dany97

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
^

And cos you said that, I just googled a fewwwww stuff and all of the i3's are dual cores, all i5's are quad cores and i7's are quad cores - 6 cores!

(sandybridge range!)

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Nps man.

And err there are so many i3's I dno what one you could be talking about. But typically 2 cores is good for gaming, but then again obviously more the better. Quad is the best for gaming, anymore is unneeded, and quad will barely be fully utilized!

So in summary, all of the I-processors are A+++++! Don't go for AMD though :( stay clear of them!

Dany97

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
Timisoara
Nps man.

And err there are so many i3's I dno what one you could be talking about. But typically 2 cores is good for gaming, but then again obviously more the better. Quad is the best for gaming, anymore is unneeded, and quad will barely be fully utilized!

So in summary, all of the I-processors are A+++++! Don't go for AMD though :( stay clear of them!

Yeah know that about AMD now.. Got a pc (using it for gaming mostly) works well but was totally overpriced so I'm trying to get a laptop now and was wondering about there processors couldn't find any decent Dual Cores and was thinking this are crap.

Thanks again ^^ Might go for I5 , seems like the only1 worthing it , I7 are costing much more.

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
I3 is an upgrade to the old pentium processors with hyperthreading
I5 also dual core has readyboost and hyperthreading also has a GPU as part of the CPU
I7 as I5 but quad core, so yer I5 vs I7, id take the I7 any day of the week.

If you want it for gaming though, cost effectiveness I'd choose an AMD Phenom X6 processor, better than the I5 not quite as good as the I7 but a damn site cheaper!

jonathan508

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 27, 2007
Europe
This in sandy bridge.

i3 2 cores but 4 hyperthreads.
i5 4 cores 4 hyperthreads.
i7 4 cores 8 hyperthreads.

On socket 1336 one i7 have 6 cores and 12 hyperthreads. ( but for gaming take i3 or i5 sandy bridge)

Andeh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 21, 2003
the old i5's are Dual cores. It's only the Sandybridge i5's that are quad cores. but for gaming, a Sandybridge i5 is the best, cheapest option.