Internet keep's cuting off (HELP ASAP)

Join Discord

~HeavenSent~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 9, 2005
Chorley
Hi i have just had my net turned back on after forgeting to pay the bill >.< so i was off the net for 2 days now im back on, Last night when i was useing it it was fine 2day it keeps cutting out i load my home page fine but when i came to other siters like LOMCN i have to refresh it 5-10 time to get it to load what could it be?

p.s it wont let me log on msn & when i run the "whats the promlem" program it says its my Key Ports what could that mean?????

virus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 3, 2003
Newcastle
Hi i have just had my net turned back on after forgeting to pay the bill >.< so i was off the net for 2 days now im back on, Last night when i was useing it it was fine 2day it keeps cutting out i load my home page fine but when i came to other siters like LOMCN i have to refresh it 5-10 time to get it to load what could it be?

p.s it wont let me log on msn & when i run the "whats the promlem" program it says its my Key Ports what could that mean?????

you on wirless or lan ?

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
i have same issue, its in result of my CAT5 cable i knocked up, i have shut it in door and batterd it, giving me a poor connection, could be that :S?

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
Give your router and PC a reboot.

Will fix 99% of problems.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
It takes upto 24 or 48 hours for your net connection to work out which speed it can handle best so in the result it would lead to the internet cutting out alot, Mine was like this now its as stable as you like :)

/Zen2

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
It takes upto 24 or 48 hours for your net connection to work out which speed it can handle best so in the result it would lead to the internet cutting out alot, Mine was like this now its as stable as you like :)

/Zen2

For DSL, the speed is assigned the moment you connect succesfully. Cable modems get the assigned maximum speed via the configuration file which is downloaded long before a succesfull connection is made. What you probably mean is a cable modem scanning for the correct frequency which also doesn't take 24 hours but at maximum about 1-2 hours.

As for the thread starters problem, you really do need to specify whether it is cable or DSL and whether you have a router inbetween.

mapadale

There could be several issue regarding this.

1: Cables
2: Modem type
3: Access point type
4: Switch
5: Router

The most common one, is on CABLE lines. People tend to use a low grade network cable when connected to the modem, this won't work as it needs to be a CAT5 CROSS OVER. This is the same if you have the cable running from a modem to a router/switch/hub.

When connecting two devices of this type, its always best to use a cross over cable for latency.

Street lights can also be a problem in the area, especially if your on BT. Used to be able to set your watch my the street lights on my stret. 6PM when they came on my net went off.

Run some tracert or netstat in CMD and check your connection.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
There could be several issue regarding this.

1: Cables
2: Modem type
3: Access point type
4: Switch
5: Router

The most common one, is on CABLE lines. People tend to use a low grade network cable when connected to the modem, this won't work as it needs to be a CAT5 CROSS OVER. This is the same if you have the cable running from a modem to a router/switch/hub.

When connecting two devices of this type, its always best to use a cross over cable for latency.

Street lights can also be a problem in the area, especially if your on BT. Used to be able to set your watch my the street lights on my stret. 6PM when they came on my net went off.

Run some tracert or netstat in CMD and check your connection.
I don't know what the standard over in the UK is, but I'd assume it's at least DOCSIS 2.0 if not already the recently developed DOCSIS 3.0. Most (if not all) of the DOCSIS 2.0 and up modems are all able to use both crossover and regular CAT5 cables so it shouldn't matter really. The more likely problem is a damaged CAT5 cable and/or damaged/poorly plugged in data cable. Also a bad TV cable divider is a common problem as are poor quality TV cables used. However in this case I doubt any of those since the thread starter didn't mention anything about moving cables and disconnecting stuff.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Ragnar i was stating what happened with my ISP (BT) when i first got it. Thier router takes upto 48 hours for the line to settle and find its best speed it can disconnect alot during this time. This is the Upto 8MB package.

/Zen2

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Ragnar i was stating what happened with my ISP (BT) when i first got it. Thier router takes upto 48 hours for the line to settle and find its best speed it can disconnect alot during this time. This is the Upto 8MB package.

/Zen2

Something is not right then if it took so long :)

mapadale

I don't know what the standard over in the UK is, but I'd assume it's at least DOCSIS 2.0 if not already the recently developed DOCSIS 3.0. Most (if not all) of the DOCSIS 2.0 and up modems are all able to use both crossover and regular CAT5 cables so it shouldn't matter really. The more likely problem is a damaged CAT5 cable and/or damaged/poorly plugged in data cable. Also a bad TV cable divider is a common problem as are poor quality TV cables used. However in this case I doubt any of those since the thread starter didn't mention anything about moving cables and disconnecting stuff.
On the cable modem, there is a bit of an issue using CAT5 and CAT5 cross. It tends to drop out the connection. Though this is more on the old motorola and scientific atlantica

virus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 3, 2003
Newcastle
Right Oneway to solve this for Wireless....

Try The Following Below

1.Turn Router Off 10 Minuites & Reboot Your Pc.

2.Go Run Type CMD --->Ipconfig/release ---->Ipconfig/Renew

3.If not working then go to your diagnostic in your modem/router
settings ussally (http://192.168.0.1 For netgear routers. Check back of your Router/Modem Box, and press Restore Factory Settings (Make Sure You Make Back Up File 1st) AND PASSWORDS

4. If You Struggle with Stage 3, You also can find a little button hidden on the Modem/Router
And hold for 1 Min and that will reset everything incl password to get into your router/modem setting, let it reboot router/modem after u have done it.

5.Once You reach this stage after completeing everything else if it still aint worked try re-installing your wirless cards and make sure all antteners are in place. and also go to Start Controll Pannel --->Network Connections
--->Right Click Wirless InternetConnections--->View Available Wireless Connection---> And click Change Advanced settings.

When you made it you should have a box pop up and it will have a Tab Button at top called WirlessNetworks.

When you have clicked the Tab Button you should have Add / remove / Properties. Click Add
and anouther box will pop up and ask you for your (SSID) and your WEP Password Or WPA-PSK on back router on white label.

Also tick connect even if not broudcasting, and the other little box (if can) let windows provide for me.

YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS FOR LAN STEPS FROM STEP 1.2.3.4

6.DO NOT FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE!

If this dont help... add me [email protected] and ill try and catch up to you when im back from work.

Last edited:

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Suggesting a dumbuser restore the factory defaults for their router? Are you serious lol?