IP banning ideas

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
On the comment area of my site, I get this really annoying abusive user who seems content on posting rubbish daily. I want to block his access to either the site as a whole, or just the scripts - either will do.

Now the user is foreign, which would usually just result in me blocking the entire ISP range or country. However if I do that this time, I'll be preventing the majority of Izar users accessing the site. Since they contribute approximately 56% of all traffic, it isn't something I want to do - at all. Although it is a possibility that I can restrict Romainians from just this one section where he likes to post the most - but, see bottom point.

So I'm asking if anyone has any ideas on how I would go about ridding myself of this problem.

FYI, the users IP fails DNS lookup requests and is dynamic.

/Leo

Toyblade

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 20, 2003
Norway
On the comment area of my site, I get this really annoying abusive user who seems content on posting rubbish daily. I want to block his access to either the site as a whole, or just the scripts - either will do.

Now the user is foreign, which would usually just result in me blocking the entire ISP range or country. However if I do that this time, I'll be preventing the majority of Izar users accessing the site. Since they contribute approximately 56% of all traffic, it isn't something I want to do - at all. Although it is a possibility that I can restrict Romainians from just this one section where he likes to post the most - but, see bottom point.

So I'm asking if anyone has any ideas on how I would go about ridding myself of this problem.

FYI, the users IP fails DNS lookup requests and is dynamic.

/Leo

i suggest doin a mac adress block..as mac adresses is hard to change (meaning most ppl dont even know how to change mac adresses)
theres diffrent ways off doin this so if you could specify what OS server machine is running i could give more help

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
I'm afraid that wouldn't be much use. MAC addresses are part of the Layer 2 set of protocols, and therefore don't get transmitted along internet requests.

Setting a bannable profile based upon their OS, browser etc wouldn't be very useful if their ISP/browser hides the referrer tags, and would likely the result in many unintentional people being prevented from attaining access.

Nice try tho ^^
/Leo

username

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 7, 2005
Auto ban the IP's of users who post # times every # seconds.

Install a content reader that compares content from recently banned members with that posted by new members.

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
The posts are singular and could be seperated by a number of days sometimes. :(

There is no member system in place, its merely a quick comment area.

/Leo

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
feed the comment through spam assassin...

what kind of rubbish? maybe add the ability to moderate before posting it out.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
well u can do something else, u can make that any acc that want to enter this area will need to be existed 5 days, and have min of 15 posts, if he come to that area, just ban him, then he wont come back to this area for 5 days, and very fast he will give up

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
simply put his account in a different user group, but with the posts moderated, now he will see his posts in the forums - but other users wont.

This all depends on if your forum software is good enough.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
@Martyn,mythonline:
Please read the posts that come before your own. I've previously said there is no member system in place, and that its a quick comment area (hence, not a forum). Its my own software.

@Kaori
Yea. Moderation seems like a good idea. Pitty the DNS lookup doesnt work, then I could enable it just for Romanian users.

/Leo

Toyblade

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 20, 2003
Norway
another thing that comes to my mind is to set a "random" cookie on their PC, then blocking them on re-visit, provided the cookie matches the block list.

tho it would not be very effective as cookies are easily deleted.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
@Martyn
A reverse dns lookup. So for example I could see the hostname for x.x.x.x which might be bobsisp.wedonthavelawshere.ro. In which case my script would see the orginating country is Romania, and deny it access.

@Toyblade
That makes a lot of sense actually, will look futhur into it ty ^^

/Leo

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Again. Please read the posts before your own. I've already said DNS lookups fail.

/Leo

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Care to give a few examples of their IP? feel free to pm me if you would rather not post them here.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
what exactly is said person posting, further to this so you have an e-mail address for them? Ive banned 7 atomicide.com accounts recently because they were actually spam bots, designed to register, and post crap and occasionally adverts on websites.

Blocked ther e-mail address from being able to register and they havent returned at all.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion. However as I have already made clear (three times), there is no member system in place. Thus no authentic and efficent way of collecting mail addresses. Nor do I wish to implement such a system for a small script with moderate usage. Especially when its essentially only one deviant user.

/Leo

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion. However as I have already made clear (three times), there is no member system in place. Thus no authentic and efficent way of collecting mail addresses. Nor do I wish to implement such a system for a small script with moderate usage. Especially when its essentially only one deviant user.

/Leo

**** sake, its late and i wasnt thinking, apart from my criticisms of people who had already suggested stuff to do with BB etc, I think people keep doing it because the last thing I did before posting was look at your site and i noticed a BB in place, and due to being programmed to respond to trash questions on here, you automatically give the simplest answer first.

Is this actually occuring on the bulletin board section of your site? If it is then im afraid the only way to succesfully combat it is to make registration a requirement to post. Even just temporarily untill he gives up and goes away. Its the lesser of two evils really. So far Blocking his IP range is the ONLY sure-fire way to remove him, and even then there is the possibility of proxy, plus the fact loads of others suffer.

Putting registration as a pre-requisite to posting is going to cause this guy problems, and while it may annoy your members, you can rest assured that they can at least still access your site and features with only a very small portion of their time taken to do so.

Just explain why your doing it, people like this guy get no satisfaction from a reaction if it isnt directly addressing them. They want to take it to a personal level, and you putting registration up isnt really that.

make sure members have to use e-mail vaidation, block off each one he uses one-by-one, but also take note so they can be spammed full of crap.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
As already said (this is becoming a very prevalent theme here)... its not a forum. Nevertheless I refuse to make a registration/email system for what is essentially a non-formal chat script. That would be a virtually certain way to drop usage of the script signifficantly.

I think Toyblades cookieID, and Kaori's pre-moderation ideas are the things best suited to the comment area (as found in the serverlist - http://www.mirstats.co.uk -> online servers -> Comment/Chat). I've also came up with the idea that stops posts including common Romanian words (only from entirely-english areas).

/Leo