Just got a new pc, can you tell me wether its wurth the price or not.

Join Discord

WhoMeYou

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
TOWIE!
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor (3.10GHz, 3MB)

OS Windows® Recovery Media Not included

1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC

DataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licence

Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook

McAfee® SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription

ST2220L 21.5-inch Full HD WLED Widescreen Monitor (VGA, DVI-D and HDMI) - UK/Irish

4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048] Memory

DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software

500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB DDR3 graphics

Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Dell MS111 USB Optical Mouse (Indigo)

Integrated 5.1 High Definition Audio

Dell AX210CR external Speaker USB Black

Vat + Delivery etc came to £590.60
I know its not top of the market, but should it play games such as Call Of Duty etc ?

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Woah you overpaid for that hugely! Dell stuff is so expensive. I'm building my own computer v. soon and for £100 more I'll get a 2600k, GTX570, 8gb DDR3 1600mhz ram, SLI compatible mobo and a load of other shiz

And the graphics card w/ that would struggle on COD and any new game tbh. It's a £40 GFX card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XANP...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B004XANP0U

Yet Dell sell it for £90

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sn...S&cid=41148&lid=1069637&acd=23975883724507269

It just goes to show how Dell make their money, you should've bought one from eBay tbh, get a prebuilt one with a monitor for that! The top sellers even give you warranties, but nothing beats building one yourself!

But like look at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BX-DDR3-D...DesktopPCs&hash=item4155ef9581#ht_2539wt_1139

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BenQ-V222...elevisions&hash=item27bd2567e4#ht_2307wt_1259

= £606

and thats easily better than your desktop

Nevertheless it is a good computer, but I wouldn't pay that! And if you dont trust eBay (i wouldn't spend that much money on ebay personally) you can get companies to build you computers for you at, literally, 1/2 the price Dell will charge for you and you get 2/3 years warranty. Or build one yourself and get it even cheaper!

WhoMeYou

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
TOWIE!
Yer, i did try some of those "Customise to your liking websites" And i didn't really know what i was doing, i'm half decent with computers, but when u get Gfx Card X Y Z i get confused lol.
Shoulda waited around and got a few opinions first tbh, but ohwell :).

Omen_lom

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 29, 2006
Yer, i did try some of those "Customise to your liking websites" And i didn't really know what i was doing, i'm half decent with computers, but when u get Gfx Card X Y Z i get confused lol.
Shoulda waited around and got a few opinions first tbh, but ohwell :).

yeah, you may of overpaid, just dont make the mistake in future. If you struggle with games etc, just visit ebuyer.com and buy a decent gfx card etc.. google or even lomcn can help you if your confused buying/ installing the parts.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
When did you buy it? Any chance of returning or cancelling the order?

if not, no big worry. It should do what you want it to do, maybe a new Gcard may be required but nothing too drastic!

Shaba, mind posting the comonents you're purchasing? Thinking of building a new PC my self, but will do it slowly - e.g. Buy the odd part here and there.

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
setupk.png

I've left out stuff like harddrive/dvd drive/cpu cooler all little bits and bobswhich are like £20/30 each, just cos I already have them.

Also I found that www.aria.co.uk is the cheapest website for UK computer parts, yet to find stuff cheaper! Wouldn't buy PC parts from eBay as you want warranties!

If you ever wanted to do SLI (2 gfx cards at 1 time) you'd need a bigger PSU but I aint planning on doing it just yet so whenever I need to ill buy another gfx card and a PSU!

Also the mobo I got is for SLI, you can save yourself £30/40 and go for one which still supports up to 32GB ram and upto 2000+ mhz ram! But I like to know that if need be I always have the choice of putting another gfx card in.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
thats i similar setup to my next build sha, never heard of Mushkin memory though, i'll be going for the 4GB corsair dominator memory (dont wanna go as high as vengance)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Cheers mate.

Looks like the type of build I'm after. I have a 9800GT Graphics Card, not the best but it will do for now so can leave the better GCard till last.

Already have HDD, DVD Drive etc too. WIll probably spend more and get a bit more RAM

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Nps.

And I originally was gonna get the Vengeance but a lot of people have problems with it getting in the way with the CPU cooler so I'd rather avoid having the issue of having to send it back and get another one.

Mushkin ram is supposed to be good for mild overclocking, I don't really plan on doing some major OCing, wont really need to tbh. Plus it has the same timings as Vengeance, just Vengeance has a bigger brand name and huge heat sinks!

They are pretty much the same price as well:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...annel+Kit+-+CML4GX3M2A1600C9+?productId=45513

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...2x2GB)+DDR3+1600MHz+9-9-9-24+?productId=44758

Was thinking about going for an i5 2500k and with the savings buy a GTX580; but the i7 2600k have 8 hyperthreads over 4 for the i5. Only getting the i7 for a bigger epeen tbh lol

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
before my time then. i was still in college when DDR memory was current.

WhiteTiger

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Aug 4, 2004
Didn't you need help buying a pc for mir a few weeks ago Woder?

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Already bought one for mir, and though it's great for mir, all the servers out atm just don't bring that spark back. Ruby looks like it'll be the next good thannnnng.

And the mir comp cost like £60, I'm gonna pay like £600-750 on my next one! Such a painful wait for payday :(

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I'm going to go i5 2500 instead of the i7 as it's overkill for me.

I also don't want SLI or anything like that.

Can you think of a cheaper mobo for me?

Don't want to spend too much as I don't see the point for what my PC is used for lol.

AgentSmith

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Sheffield (S2)
Thats a very good price in my book if you cba with look all over the web for the best deal money can buy, a guy i go to uni just got one round about the same specs but with a 560 graphics card

Already bought one for mir, and though it's great for mir, all the servers out atm just don't bring that spark back. Ruby looks like it'll be the next good thannnnng.

And the mir comp cost like £60, I'm gonna pay like £600-750 on my next one! Such a painful wait for payday :(

this is a good bundle but it is missing all the software packages and monitor ect...

If i had the money i would build that machine but with a coolermaster psu...........mines still better tho :p

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
I'm going to go i5 2500 instead of the i7 as it's overkill for me.

I also don't want SLI or anything like that.

Can you think of a cheaper mobo for me?

Don't want to spend too much as I don't see the point for what my PC is used for lol.

i52500K plus a cheap Z68 board = an EASY 25-50% overclock.

IMO though, wait for SNB-E or AMd Bulldozer before you drop any $$$.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Wanting to keep it as cheap as possible though, but still with a decent setup.

The new processors will probably cost something stupid, especially in the UK.

Out of interest urban, how much are i5 2500k over in the US?