Lan's (wireless)

smoochy boys on tour

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
Hi,
Right here's my problem, I have one pc upstairs (pc a) and one pc downstairs (pc b), I cannot use a wire, so it must be wireless, but the connection must work when pc a is off and when pc b is off, so they must not need each other to run, and it must support DSL (basically I want internet upstairs and down, and must be able to control the pc's from doing things. at either end (there will be two accounts (mine, admin :D and my sister, need good control of her pc).

is there any solution folks?

LeoCrasher

Sure just get the following:

1x ADSL/Broadband 4port Ethernet Router
1x Wireless Access Point

--Then--
1x PCI/USB Network Card
1x Wireless Network Card

--Or--
2x Wireless Network Cards

Well thats the way I would do it.
/Leo

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
LeoCrasher said:

1x Wireless Access Point

--Then--
1x PCI/USB Network Card
1x Wireless Network Card

--Or--

/Leo

u made fox look like fool on msn thread so fox mader!

wireless router 802.11b is $50 and 2x pci wireless should be $60 for both or 2x pc card $35 for both.

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
LeoCrasher said:

1x Wireless Access Point

--Then--
1x PCI/USB Network Card
1x Wireless Network Card

--Or--

/Leo

2x Wireless Network Cards you mean this with asdl/broadband 4port ethernet router? because on their own you would need one pc on for the other to connect.

whatdo you think of the netgear solutions some are wireless asdl/broadband 4 port ethernet's, how would I connect that to a) the upstairs up (where it would be stationed) and b) the downstairs computer (what would need installing in each pc?

thanks

LeoCrasher

Righty...

I will assume near one of the two PC's you have a ADSL Line. Your Ethernet Router and Wireless Access Point will connect to the line.

On the SAME floor as the Router... connect the nearest PC to the router via a nice Wire.

On the Router, plug in a wireless access point. Put this on a wall if you want lol. This will allow the PC on the other floor to access the Router (and therefore the internet).

Both PC's will be able to SHARE the internet simitanously or one WITHOUT the other.

For this setup you will need:
1x Wireless PCI Card (for out of reach PC)
1x PCI Network Card (to connect the nearest PC to the router)
1x Wireless Access Point (so the out of reach PC can access the router)
1x ADSL/BroadBand Router

That is the MINIMUL setup for what you are asking for, diagram below.

/Leo

Attachments

• config.jpg
    config.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 39

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
wow, thanks thats cleared that question up, but my other question is what about some of the:
Wireless Access Point with ADSL/BroadBand Router built in, netgear, seem to have these, would you advise these?

thanks

LeoCrasher

I have had a little experiance with a NetGear router at my middle school lol. They seem quite good and if they have all that built in and it works all on the same wireless standard... go for it!

/Leo

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
I've looked and this model: NETGEAR DG824M seems good or NETGEAR's CG814M , leo, hun as you seem to know about this more than me - which is best (or which should I go for

thanks

LeoCrasher

NETGEAR DG824M - Its the only ADSL Router out of your choices. The other is for CableInternet.

/Leo

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
ouch it's expensive £130 + a wireless PCI card + a ethernet card... but it will work, well it should right?

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
unrealhippie said:
ouch it's expensive £130 + a wireless PCI card + a ethernet card... but it will work, well it should right?

edit: it is 802.11b should I find a differnet brand using the 802.11g? as this is faster, does it make a huge difference or will I be ok?

Gladiator

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 24, 2003
I wana be able to do that but with my bt broadband modem it has to have 1 pc turned on to work :( . Wish i could get it to stay on all time without pc(1) being on.

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
Gladiator said:
I wana be able to do that but with my bt broadband modem it has to have 1 pc turned on to work :( . Wish i could get it to stay on all time without pc(1) being on.

thats the advantage with the NETGEAR DG824M, it has it's own power supply so the pc's work seperatly but it cost £130 which is a pain..

LeoCrasher

Im not up with all the WiFi standards, but if your just accessing the internet 802.11b is perfectly fine.

See the idea is that 11b runs at 11mbits/s, and ur internet runs at 128kbits/s-2mbit/s (depending on the service you have subscribed to). Therefore 11b can deal with whatever your internet throws at it. You should only consider something like 11g if your planning to transfer lots of files between your two PC's. (Which I doubt you are).

Wireless networks are not the easiest things to set up, especially when other people are using the same 11b channel near you. Make sure your WAP is very secure lol, dont want someone leaching off your BB Pipe ;).

/Leo

unrealhippie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
now I've just got to decide what pc im getting..
found a few company's gonna go over £1000 maybe £1200 because of network (damn why wont my dad just have wires and save me a bomb...