Laptop/Desktop..

smoochy boys on tour

Snowman

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 30, 2005
Can anyone do a quick search for me to find me a cheap/decent laptop or desktop* that will run games pretty easily, Mir mainly, i don't really know what sort of specs i would need for gaming.

thanks

* - which is better?

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Well a laptop is better for portability, and will run Mir fine even with an integrated graphics chip. Desktop is better, and cheaper performance most of the time, and integrated graphics again would run Mir perfectly. Depending on the other games you want to use, you could probably get a cheap mid range graphics card in any system and it'd run fine. Check something like...

Computer Planet, Novatech, CCLOnline, most websites now do prebuilt desktops, Novatech are one of my favourites and found Computer Planet today whilst on the search for a shuttle.

Snowman

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 30, 2005
Thanks, just been on that Novatech to compare prices between laptops and desktops, i expected laptops to be cheaper than desktops, some interesting things on there

I used to play Guild Wars and Counter Strike: Source but they don't run very well on this desktop or my laptop, both out of date i think.

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Laptops generally more expensive, monitor built in, everything squeezed into tight place etc. Harder to manufacture. What is your budget?

Snowman

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 30, 2005
Well i'll have to get a decent job first and then i'll start saving so no real budget atm, looking to spend 150-300 tbh =//

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
No worries. Pretty much anything within the Home PC systems on Novatech up to your budget. Obviously the ones with graphics cards, dedicated ones, will do better on Mir than integrated, and for other games if you want to play. But can get a nice little computer off there within your budget so yeah =]

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
If you don't require the portability of the Laptop, your by far better of going for a Desktop.

I've had mine for ages and i just keep updating components over time and it's still a decent computer. With a laptop it's not so easy to update and the things you could update i think are limited.

/Ash

Snowman

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 30, 2005
I would upgrade my laptop but it's in pretty bad condition so i may aswell buy a new one