Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse

Join Discord

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
Just got one of these mice in, works a treat except for the fact that the bundled 'SetPoint' software only recognises it when connected via usb. This is only a problem because I have two pc's I intended to use a KVM switch to jump between, and the switch only has PS/2 ports so was using a usb>PS/2 adapter... Yeha i know KVM's are a pain and they arent usually supported by hardware suppliers, but is there any way to get SetPoint to recognise the mouse when connected via PS/2 rather than usb?

P.S
bold = edited, ty data

Last edited:

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Serial ?!?! how old are those computers... (are you sure you dont mean PS/2?)

If i wasn't opposed to installing bloatware mouse drivers i'd try mine to see if it works via PS/2 on my kvm. Do you really need the drivers? as far as i knowall they do is provide the side-to-side scrolling and makes the stupidly-placed middle buton on the forward/back rocker do sommat

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
doh yeah ps/2 sorry.. n still only seems to detect the 8 buttons option and bring up settings when its in the usb port not the ps/2.

those stupidly placed buttons are partly y i got the model i got, the laser for accuracy but 8 button cos i prefer assigning shortcuts to them, like on my media-style keyboard. the kvm works ok with a normal ps/2 microsoft mouse. doesnt work with my 23" w/s hp monitor tho.. supported sizes up2 17"

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
hmm, the left/right on the wheel can be assigned to something other than side scroll ?

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
can pick and assign any function to any button (from a predefined list) but im lookin into modifying that list... but without all 8 buttons being detected, all i got is a 3 button scroll mouse worth £50 =/

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
I have the mouse, but im sorry i have no idea how to sort the problem.

The mouse is amazing, but the Setpoint software sucks.. i have 8 buttons on the mouse but i can only assign most of the them to crappy predefined shortcuts >< i would like the buttons to be generic (like mouse button 6 = mouse button 6 etc) so i could assign them to shortcuts for games :/

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
would be nice wouldnt it. n yeah the mouse is great overall, just the button issue is a little frustrating.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
I just use it as a normal 5 button mouse, with windows standard drivers, the middle circle button does nothing, and the side rocker does nothing

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
I dont think the logitech software can utilise all the capabilities of the mouse under PS/2, for example, the technology in that mouse is nowhere near what PS/2 was when it was first released as a connection medium with crappy basic keyboards and 2 button mice. Tracking isnt as smooth either under PS/2 with this mouse, even with PS/2 sample rate upto 200, the default 120 sample rate of the USB port still beats it.

Personaly I only the mouse for its accuracy, most of my shortcuts or key game binds are assigned to keys near to the wasd keys, the more buttons to press on the mouse in a game other than fire and duck, with mouse look just makes things messy. Just to illustrate the accuracy of this mouse, moving from a logitech mouseman dual optical corded mouse to the logitech has allowed me to move my Q2, Q3 & Q4 sensitivity from 8 to 2 and acheive the same movepseed and mouselook results. Its tracking has improved my rail ratio from around 60% to well over 80%.

However, with some games it has been difficult to balance the sensitivity, as some games are to low with say a sensitvity of 3, and too high with 4.

Overall the best mouse ive ever used. Period!!