Feb 21, 2013
Aaah, feels so good :D
1713293265141.png
How cute does it get
1713288013076.png
The bloody rabbits regen rate...
1713287762577.png
Post automatically merged:

First impression didn't disappoint, this mir version has big potential. But that doesn't mean you should expect to find a server that can be played like if you just booted mir2 off the shelf files. It needs some basic stuff done still, like give stats to items, put them in shops and drops, make them to show on your avatar when equipped... currently you get base armor and sword in your bag when you make new char, as is standard in mir2, you can get pots in mob drops but that's just about it.

As to basic play mechanics, there is a lag hiccup once in a while, don't know if that's because it is perhaps hosted on a laptop in Jev's place or the server needs some tune up. It doesn't seem to be on account of spawns since those are very thin, but I didn't get around much.

You can pop into every building and hut you encounter, it is very cute looking but the landscape badly needs planting trees and what not. The system messages are funny as hell, like the one in that screenshot above, "Swords:" It is in keeping with the retro feeling you get in game.

I can see this mir version to be as addictive as mir2. That retro look has its own appeal, if you would scoff over it, so you might over mir2 graphics. We don't judge mir2 gameplay by comparing its appearance to today's games and in the same spirit the same goes for this first mir version.
Once you log on, you get the same drive to level, get some items in drops, bigger stick than the next guy, go into unknown regions to find caves and treasures, never mind that all of that still needs to be put in game. But the proof of the concept is here, it 'only' needs more development.

Jev said something about item images lacking, maybe those that show when equipped... how about taking item images from one of those old delphi mir2 clients that are kicking about, those funky looking items that you don't see nowadays in mir2, would that be technically possible?

For start, I would just slap some stats on items without much any worry about it being balanced, any stats are better than no stats at all. The server needs basic stuff to support at least some gameplay if pple should spend much time on to discover bugs to report. It doesn't feel like there will be many. Some map region crossings don't teleport you right away but you get that with mir2 still even today with some doors not letting you through (use the trick to make one step back which teleports you to the next map region).

Last edited:

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I've moved over the server from my laptop to my main PC, so hopefully you'll see alot less lag now. Still bottlenecked by my terrible internet speeds but should see some improvements.

I'm going to look at smashing out some basic item stats within the next few days and then get some drop files going aswell which hopefully should make that start game feel more complete.

I will also fix the dodgy map movements that we were talking about yesterday in game.

Thank you for your feedback <3 Glad you liked your time on the game already.

1713371591767.png

Reactions: trancefied

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Aaah, feels so good :D
View attachment 34446
How cute does it get
View attachment 34445
The bloody rabbits regen rate...
View attachment 34443

First impression didn't disappoint, this mir version has big potential. But that doesn't mean you should expect to find a server that can be played like if you just booted mir2 off the shelf files. It needs some basic stuff done still, like give stats to items, put them in shops and drops, make them to show on your avatar when equipped... currently you get base armor and sword in your bag when you make new char, as is standard in mir2, you can get pots in mob drops but that's just about it.

As to basic play mechanics, there is a lag hiccup once in a while, don't know if that's because it is perhaps hosted on a laptop in Jev's place or the server needs some tune up. It doesn't seem to be on account of spawns since those are very thin, but I didn't get around much.

You can pop into every building and hut you encounter, it is very cute looking but the landscape badly needs planting trees and what not. The system messages are funny as hell, like the one in that screenshot above, "Swords:" It is in keeping with the retro feeling you get in game.

I can see this mir version to be as addictive as mir2. That retro look has its own appeal, if you would scoff over it, so you might over mir2 graphics. We don't judge mir2 gameplay by comparing its appearance to today's games and in the same spirit the same goes for this first mir version.
Once you log on, you get the same drive to level, get some items in drops, bigger stick than the next guy, go into unknown regions to find caves and treasures, never mind that all of that still needs to be put in game. But the proof of the concept is here, it 'only' needs more development.

Jev said something about item images lacking, maybe those that show when equipped... how about taking item images from one of those old delphi mir2 clients that are kicking about, those funky looking items that you don't see nowadays in mir2, would that be technically possible?

For start, I would just slap some stats on items without much any worry about it being balanced, any stats are better than no stats at all. The server needs basic stuff to support at least some gameplay if pple should spend much time on to discover bugs to report. It doesn't feel like there will be many. Some map region crossings don't teleport you right away but you get that with mir2 still even today with some doors not letting you through (use the trick to make one step back which teleports you to the next map region).
Great review mate!

I had a go as well and it is addictive and you're right about the retro look making it too!

Reactions: mir2pion

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Meat & Chicken should recover 10 & 15 HP but they don't (don't think that counts as bug). Can sell at butchers but to be able to use as healing pots is essential. Otherwise pple will need to pop into buildings to regen.

Note: the 'big map' view (well, the only map available) has shortcut B.
F12 as it says in the mouse tip over the lupe icon doesn't work.

Maybe mobs could have slightly shorter agro distance. Currently, as soon (or almost as soon) as they come into view, they know about you.

I almost forgot about the the actual bug, at least on my PC with Win10. Last night you said the sound should work after re-login but it doesn't. Reason is that if I open Volume Mixer from the speaker tray icon, the volume slider is all the way down. And if I try to pull it up to increase the sound volume, it resists and jumps back down to zero volume. Is that my win10 or what.

I've moved over the server from my laptop to my main PC

LOL, I didn't think that would actually be the case :LOL:

Someone more expert can judge what the cause of that occasional hiccup is. I think it is always accompanied by the red system message in chat that says 'Displacement'. That means your char is not where the server takes it to be, or something like that.
As to internet, speed is not so essential as its stability (as in being always available, not knocking off like going into a micro sleep (not sure if that is called latency). Probably even an older laptop should host the server just fine, as long as the server can process game packets as they come in.

Last edited:

steve

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 20, 2005
Reading
had a quick look ran about killed a few rabbits, good old fashioned game real basic just fun

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Meat & Chicken should recover 10 & 15 HP but they don't (don't think that counts as bug). Can sell at butchers but to be able to use as healing pots is essential. Otherwise pple will need to pop into buildings to regen.

Note: the 'big map' view (well, the only map available) has shortcut B.
F12 as it says in the mouse tip over the lupe icon doesn't work.

Maybe mobs could have slightly shorter agro distance. Currently, as soon (or almost as soon) as they come into view, they know about you.

I almost forgot about the the actual bug, at least on my PC with Win10. Last night you said the sound should work after re-login but it doesn't. Reason is that if I open Volume Mixer from the speaker tray icon, the volume slider is all the way down. And if I try to pull it up to increase the sound volume, it resists and jumps back down to zero volume. Is that my win10 or what.

LOL, I didn't think that would actually be the case :LOL:

Someone more expert can judge what the cause of that occasional hiccup is. I think it is always accompanied by the red system message in chat that says 'Displacement'. That means your char is not where the server takes it to be, or something like that.
As to internet, speed is not so essential as its stability (as in being always available, not knocking off like going into a micro sleep (not sure if that is called latency). Probably even an older laptop should host the server just fine, as long as the server can process game packets as they come in.
I didn’t notice the lag due to playing locally, I was running the laptop off the WiFi and thought it wouldn’t be as bad as it was. All sorted now anyway

• Haha
Reactions: Tai

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
It was much better today.
I am exploring the Nongan city and left myself standing outside and got killed by a mob, I hope it wasn't a hen 😨. When you take screenshot, it covers the coordinates which makes it hard to find the place again if you relied on it. Only way might be to remember to note the coordinates down as screenshot is useless. Well, almost useless.
1713419262422.png
Hope resurrection won't always spawn me back in that starting out map, we need more safe zones and make it work like in mir2

Inside Nongan City is this Nongan Castle Ground (which is a separate map inside the Nongan city), is a misplaced building. You see my blue dot on the big map, where I stand is empty area but as you see I am actually standing in front of the building that appears all the way to left on the big map. That building should be moved to the left as shown on the big map.
1713418800099.png

Attachments

• 1713414534154.png
    1713414534154.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Jev

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
It was much better today.
I am exploring the Nongan city and left myself standing outside and got killed by a mob, I hope it wasn't a hen 😨. When you take screenshot, it covers the coordinates which makes it hard to find the place again if you relied on it. Only way might be to remember to note the coordinates down as screenshot is useless. Well, almost useless.
View attachment 34452
Hope resurrection won't always spawn me back in that starting out map, we need more safe zones and make it work like in mir2

Inside Nongan City is this Nongan Castle Ground (which is a separate map inside the Nongan city), is a misplaced building. You see my blue dot on the big map, where I stand is empty area but as you see I am actually standing in front of the building that appears all the way to left on the big map. That building should be moved to the left as shown on the big map.
View attachment 34451
Some base items have been done and included in drops, they will more added in the coming days. I have also added safezones to each Village which should hopefully sort out TT and respawning behaviour

Loristan

LOMCN Leecher
Apr 19, 2024
Cool to see this project under development. Reminded me a lot of the Mir game on old LG phones. Tao power!

Image 5.png

P.S. List of things I've found - all pretty basic though and probably already captured on the higher level items on the todo list:

-Can't sell potions, armour, necklaces
-Shops not fully populated
-DC stuck at 0-0
-Bag weight goes backwards and into negatives
-Numerous dungeon entrances don't work
-Can't see preview of chat
-Skele / Skele Warrior can't hit you - and give massive exp and are probably weaker than deer
-Med armour too heavy to wear message - but I don't know what my clothes weight is
-Poisoned by spiders (?), but no message in chat bar
- no-name map 0.3.2?

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
-DC stuck at 0-0
-Skele / Skele Warrior can't hit you - and give massive exp and are probably weaker than deer
-Med armour too heavy to wear message - but I don't know what my clothes weight is
- no-name map 0.3.2?
Firstly thank you for the feedback,

I will recheck every NPC to check their type values but i'm sure you should be able to sell a Weapon at a Weaponshop and so on.

Yea more base items are needed and you'll see these changes reflected.

-DC stuck at 0-0

It shouldn't be.

I've not encounterd this yet but could be a code bug or visual bug.

No caves have been done yet, I'm waiting for more info first.

Don't run in fullscreen.

HP changed untill I can correct monster's DC.

I will input some items with added wear weight in game which should fix this.

They shouldn't poison you.

- no-name map 0.3.2?

Yea a few main maps still don't have a good translation just yet.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
In Nongan Village (probably everywhere?) you cannot sell drapery or jewelry (rings since I didn't get necklaces in drops yet, braces probably not in yet).

I am able to sell weapons & meat

Edit: necklaces also cannot be sold, so it looks like a general class thing, ie., you cannot sell any Armor or Jewelry. It might well be fault with the shop setup, not with the items as such.

Last edited:

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
In Nongan Village (probably everywhere?) you cannot sell drapery or jewelry (rings since I didn't get necklaces in drops yet, braces probably not in yet).

I am able to sell weapons & meat
Yea it’s really strange that some item types can’t be sold, might be a code bug, I didn’t find anything weird with the scripts. Bracelets will be done in the coming days (busy few days coming up)

Reactions: Loristan

Potnoodle

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 11, 2010
is there a way to sort the res out? i tried changing it in the mir1test txt but that didnt do anything, my guy is taking up nearly the entire centre of the screen,

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Couple days back, I accidentally double clicked the game window and it maximized on screen, the graphics suffered and the mouse active space seemed to be offset to a small region.

Today seeing your post, I thought to experiment before replying and looking at the game window top bar, indeed there are the proper window controls, including the maximizing icon. I clicked it and then I don't know exactly what I did then but the screen went black and mouse tip had the game arrow appearance and it was caught in the middle screen area with fat black margins on sides.

I Alt-Tabbed out of it to normal desktop and eventually found out you can Alt-Enter in and out of full screen game display alternatively use the game window maximizing method (but that only works one way in, to get back to desktop, use Alt-Enter or Alt-tab. I think that full black screen I initially got was probably the first unsuccessful switch to full screen.

That's nifty, graphics suffer a bit but if you lean back it is actually still OK. I think I will play in full screen mode more often.

Now that's been corrected :p, they can't hit you and you can't hit them...

Tip: always carry RT in case you get jammed in by mobs.

I think the mob agro distance could be a bit shortened, it seems as soon as they come into view, they go for you.

Last edited:

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Couple days back, I accidentally double clicked the game window and it maximized on screen, the graphics suffered and the mouse active space seemed to be offset to a small region.

Today seeing your post, I thought to experiment before replying and looking at the game window top bar, indeed there are the proper window controls, including the maximizing icon. I clicked it and then I don't know exactly what I did then but the screen went black and mouse tip had the game arrow appearance and it was caught in the middle screen area with fat black margins on sides.

I Alt-Tabbed out of it to normal desktop and eventually found out you can Alt-Enter in and out of full screen game display alternatively use the game window maximizing method (but that only works one way in, to get back to desktop, use Alt-Enter or Alt-tab. I think that full black screen I initially got was probably the first unsuccessful switch to full screen.

That's nifty, graphics suffer a bit but if you lean back it is actually still OK. I think I will play in full screen mode more often.

Now that's been corrected :p, they can't hit you and you can't hit them...

Tip: always carry RT in case you get jammed in by mobs.

I think the mob agro distance could be a bit shortened, it seems as soon as they come into view, they go for you.
I've tweaked the HP values of some monsters which I haven't sorted out DC stats for. This is only until I get a good balance of stats.
Have you got a list of monsters you feel see the player too far away?

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Have you got a list of monsters you feel see the player too far away?
All of them are the same. Maybe if you just glimpse a mob and back up a step, they won't go after you but if they are just in view at the edge of window, they will almost certainly join in on the existing fight you have with other mob (because of the random steps they make, almost always it results in getting nearer you). Not a big thing since they move slowly, just noticing. Probably something to be sorted later as part of balancing things.
It helps a lot that you don't get hit by mobs even when running close to them.

I suppose because the game view area compared to mir2 is relatively small, it seems natural that they would see you as soon as they come into view. It could be viewed as making the gameplay challenging, its just that at low level you can only take on a single mob at a time. Here though it is probably the same for higher levels since we don't have skills....
Didn't do any scientific testing how much you need to outdistance mobs before they stop following you. If there is a doorway nearby, I pop in and out to shake them off. :)

That's why my second char is also war class, at least you get more hp. Wiz or tao has to beat mobs with a stick same as warrior (in the foreseeable time, until we get class skills), so you only get disadvantages with them. War dc stat items probably can be used by any class, maybe lev22 armors might not be allowed to wear for wiz/tao or may be too heavy to wear.

Can't log on, apparently my acct details are not right, but they are...
If this is going to be like Johny's mir3d server back when that server was new when you lost acct every few days, pple will not test.
Now my acct is banned due to too many logging attempts

Last edited:

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Update:

-Added Basic Items in. Including stats/images/shops/drops*

*Drops not finished*

-Changed some monster stats due to lack of info.

More to come, a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on ;)

Database Download - 24.04.24
Live on Public Test Server - Download
Report a Database bug - Link
Report a Code bug - Link

Can't log on, apparently my acct details are not right, but they are...
If this is going to be like Johny's mir3d server back when that server was new when you lost acct every few days, pple will not test.
Now my acct is banned due to too many logging attempts
I had to log into your account to recall your char that was stuck in a wall.

Forces me to change the password and require a password reset. Your password is Password :) It will get you to change your password once you log back in.