Mir Evolution update (test server back soon)

Join Discord

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
Mir Evolution - Progress and Upcoming Testing
http://www.lom3.co.uk

Just to start the ball rolling I thought I'd post an update on the project and give details on what will be in the next incarnation of the test server. As you may or may not know the test server only gave at best a poor experience and the code wasn't all that stable and kinda died off when it was updated and I failed to realize an issue with new accounts. This bug and many others have been fixed and new features have been added or are being worked on. With it being the summer holidays there is the potential to get alot of testing done and I am working to get a server online sometime soon, hopefully before kids go back to school.

We will be calling it v0.2.x.x.

The plan is to have a decent play experience for levels 1-22.

What it will include will be:

Skills - the magic system has been updated to facilitate learning skills from books, only 5 basic spells have been added so far, they level on use and appear to be working ok. Slaying and Fencing for warriors, Spiritsword and Healing for Taoists and Fireball for wizards. Obviously we plan to add a few more but I am satisfied that the system employed for magics is functioning well and it shouldn't be too much work to add the other 3 basic wizard skills, when it comes to more advanced things like taming with electric shock there is much more work to be done but I can see thunderbolt etc being added for higher lvl chars.

Improved stats functions - server side stats calculations have been modified to balance the game out a little better, and item tool tips have been modified to give more information on the stats of an item, this isn't complete but should display information that is needed at this stage of the game

Groups - currently in progress is the addition of groups, mainly GUI work so far but net code for this has also been started. Been a while since I was working on this so I'm not too sure how far along it is. For definite I know the group window GUI is in the client and the client can at least request forming a group. Details aren't important on this as it will be completed at some point soon.

Mob AI - improvements to mob AI such as fixing the bug that caused all the mobs to move to a certain area due to a total **** up in the way I was using Rnd() (embarrassing to admit but no one is perfect lol). Plans are for farmyard animal AI (passive and complete) and a bog standard aggressive mob AI (attacking players within range). Also I plan to add zombie AI for the mines (resurrecting with reduced health & exp gains) and maybe a boss AI although this may be ok with the aggressive AI, just DB values being bumped up from the norm

Enhanced NPC scripting - plans for more commands for NPC scripts, the format is basically semi custom and I'm adding commands to the scripting engine as they are needed for my server

Gold Drops - this is important, currently no gold drops at all and the only way to make gold is by selling drops to shops, therefore the current server code allows for a player to work up a debt of gold (i.e. your bag can display -12345 gold and you can buy anything without having to worry about gold). Obviously this is no fun/challenge at all therefore gold drops are soon to be added

Plan is to have kit etc for levels 1 - 22 with 22 being the lvl cap (max value of 64 bit integer required for lvl 23 onwards, thus making it impossible to level beyond that). Maps will be Bichon, Bichon Cave, Ants and Mines, this may be adjusted to include BW map and a random cave there to give an extra place to level (just cause I like the mir3 BW lol, could potentially be a group cave)

I cannot give an ETA on the server being online, we have a potential host but they mite be on holiday as Ive not had a reply yet (anyone seen Karl lol). If we cant get a VPS in time I will host on my PC for a short while but I doubt this will be needed. I have real life commitments so I am working in my spare time.