Mir Map converter?

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Im sure i had knocking around on my computer somewhere a converter to change mir3 maps so they would work on a mir2 server, am i just going mad or did i actually have something like this? :/

HeadHunter

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 18, 2007
Stoke, UK
Im sure i had knocking around on my computer somewhere a converter to change mir3 maps so they would work on a mir2 server, am i just going mad or did i actually have something like this? :/

Would be good if you could find and release this =) and do you have any idea to as what it was called?

/Head

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Would be good if you could find and release this =) and do you have any idea to as what it was called?

/Head

No thats the problem, if i had it i would have gotten it from here, i guess as you havent heard of it, its likely that i was just dreaming. Unless anyone can tell me different lol.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
your just mad. thats an impossible app. for many reasons.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
well yeah.

an app cannot simply 'convert' a map, and expect it to work on an entirely different game.

1. the headers are different

2. the objects/tiles are different to each client

3. the file directions are different to each client /snow /forest

4. even if you put mir3 tiles/objects in the client it would still not be read because the client.exe does all the work, not the .map

5. the colour is different, you cannot simply use a 24bit colour map, in a 256 colour game.

need i go on ? :P

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
well yeah.

an app cannot simply 'convert' a map, and expect it to work on an entirely different game.

1. the headers are different

2. the objects/tiles are different to each client

3. the file directions are different to each client /snow /forest

4. even if you put mir3 tiles/objects in the client it would still not be read because the client.exe does all the work, not the .map

5. the colour is different, you cannot simply use a 24bit colour map, in a 256 colour game.

need i go on ? :P

bichon.GIF

Well, thats my soma server......My character is a bloodelf, and im stood in Bichon Wall, a map that was converted directly from Mir to Soma and the character ported directly from WoW to Soma. So yes it is possible to port something directly from one game to another with the right program.

So if this is possible, i dont know why it wouldnt be reasonable to believe that I had at some point assumed I had a Mir3 to Mir2 map converter no?

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
wow... Very Intresting there Karl o.O never even new that was possible
-Dan

I knew it was possible, just very few people have the tools, because the soma community is alot smaller than the mir community things are not freely available. Hopefully if things go to plan, I will have a nice Soma server, with World of Warcraft characters/armours/weapons and Mir maps. Hence the reason I wanted a Mir 3 to 2 converter, and the point of the thread, I guess ill just have to have some nice chats with people and get them to make me some pretty maps hehe.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i really dont see how its possible. maybe from one game to soma (soma might be built differently)

but the way mir2 is structured, its impossible to do with an 'app' without having to recode the actual client.

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
It could be possible, basically, if you manage to export a mir3 map full size into a bmp, then upload it into a mir2 object will as a whole image, then just add atributes.

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
It could be possible, basically, if you manage to export a mir3 map full size into a bmp, then upload it into a mir2 object will as a whole image, then just add atributes.

Imagine the file size of that for each map though lol.

Least with the maps converted to soma, all the object files are converted too so each map is minimal in size.

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
it could just be me though... but to be honest i dont think that it renders very well in that screenshot... and likewise a mir3 to mir2 one probably wouldnt ever look quite right...

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
The maps alright,
i just dont see how you plan to add armours to the characters.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I know this isn't exactly a constructive reply but why would you want to port Mir 3 maps to Mir 2 anyway ?
I can't see anything in Mir 3 that would benefit Mir 2 tbh, if anything Mir 3 is worse as you can't even enter a shop but have to rely on an NPC outside.
In the time it would take you to create an app to do the task you're asking, you could recreate a similar Mir 2 map version anyway.
I've played four or five differnt Mir 3 servers and the Euro & US official ones and none have made me want to go back and carry on. Mir 2, on the other hand, creates the desire to log on and level that little bit more.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex

Xanan thing is i think, that will be crap, because it will look like your behind a building 24/7. The whole reason why you go invisible/clear when behind objects, is because they overlap you. Now if you made the entire map into 1 object.... when you wear a clear or hide, you will go compleyley invisible. It would look ****.

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
I know this isn't exactly a constructive reply but why would you want to port Mir 3 maps to Mir 2 anyway ?
I can't see anything in Mir 3 that would benefit Mir 2 tbh, if anything Mir 3 is worse as you can't even enter a shop but have to rely on an NPC outside.
In the time it would take you to create an app to do the task you're asking, you could recreate a similar Mir 2 map version anyway.
I've played four or five differnt Mir 3 servers and the Euro & US official ones and none have made me want to go back and carry on. Mir 2, on the other hand, creates the desire to log on and level that little bit more.

Basically I wanted to port from Mir3 to Mir2 then from Mir2 to Soma....Ill just have to make do with mir2 maps :)