My new PC, how long you think it will last?!

Join Discord

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Here's my PC an specs etc :P

How many years would you say that would last? Oh and i may or may not be upgrading to a Quad Core eventually ^_^ and if it's possible lolz

Last edited:

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
Its an ok spec i suppose, but what do u mean how long will it last? Imho its already out of date by miles... Unless u mean how long will it keep working for? In which case I find most PCs tend to start dying from excessive use around the 5 year mark.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Years last? What do you mean exactly?

I have a 33Mhz 386 without a coprocessor in the cupboard which still works fine. It might even be older than me...

Your machine should last longer than you if you treat it ok.

/Leo

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
i think Sonic means how long will it last as in being able to play the latest games...as in how long will the components he installed be relatively up-to-date.

I believe that system will last a few years (from what i can say) well until DX10 takes off properly, when all new DX10 gfx cards will be more widely available and a tiny bit cheaper

Your idea on the quad core on the other hands is pretty useless, if you're using your system for home/gaming use, there really is no need for a quad core CPU, you would be paying money for something that you won't use to its full potential.

AgentSmith

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Sheffield (S2)
Years last? What do you mean exactly?

I have a 33Mhz 386 without a coprocessor in the cupboard which still works fine. It might even be older than me...

Your machine should last longer than you if you treat it ok.

/Leo

i got 2 of those if you ment a 486 and a dx version 3.1 now those were days

looks to me like u have a pentium D i would say you really couldnt do any worse unless you need it for serious power gaming or cad or something.

Onuris

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 23, 2006
Romania, Timisoara
Here's my PC an specs etc :P

How many years would you say that would last? Oh and i may or may not be upgrading to a Quad Core eventually ^_^ and if it's possible lolz
2 years. tbh u should waited for the GeForce 8300 or 8600 to be released, instead of going for 7300.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
How long will it last.....I think you are asking how long before you need to upgrade?
Impossible to answer because it depends what you do with it.

However In IT circles it used to be thought of that if the best is bought it will be replaced within in 6-12 months....Technology moves too fast to keep up with! General life expectancy in the business world says that PC's should be replaced every 2-3 years.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
i got 350 MHz p2 computer, 256 MB ram, and since i installed on it windows ME and no other program running on it, it can easily handle 700 MHz minimum spec games. thats even without over clock it.
if u treat ur computer as it should be treated, u can expect a long relationship.