my pc is sticky

PoPcOrN

Mir 2 Moderator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2006
West Midlands
i had problems with my hard drive so i got a new 1 and formated to widnows xp pro and when i open a window for e.g my pictures and explorer is sticky as hell

if i move the window around my desktop it is realy sticky and same when i scroll up and down explorer

any help please?

Last edited:

Tyuchi

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 30, 2007
L3velme.net
Lol, "my pc is sticky"...sounds wrong ;)

Try defragmenting your hardrive(s). Make sure there's no spyware. Go into Task Manager, see what programs that are running, which you don't want.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
If you just reformatted defrag won't help. Have you checked all your ram is working?

Also check your windows task manager "ctrl-alt-delete" keys together, see what processes running, should be about 90-99% system idle processes on boot up.

You can also check your net speed with http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

PoPcOrN

Mir 2 Moderator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2006
West Midlands
with msn 2 explorers and a download it sez theres 29 proecesses

i have a 8mb net spead so thats nt it for a fact and you can tell its not

could it be stickt as its a 2-3 year old pc with a amd athlon 2 megerhertz or what eve and it did have xp home but now pro could that be why?

Pyraine

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 22, 2004
Aggresion
all I can think of is you're not protecting your vulnerable, freshly formatted pc.

So reformat, one more time and make sure you turn on windows firewall, then get all the security updates, then you're free to do what you want.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
with msn 2 explorers and a download it sez theres 29 processes

i have a 8mb net spead so thats nt it for a fact and you can tell its not

could it be stickt as its a 2-3 year old pc with a amd athlon 2 megahertz or what eve and it did have xp home but now pro could that be why?

How much ram have you got? Have you checked it's working?
How much hard drive free space do you have?

2mgz is fine - I operate a 1.5mhz and a 2.2mhz here and both run xp home with 768 & 512mb ram respectively, they can both happily run anything and everything I've tried on them, including a test mir 3.55 server (local use only).

I'm wondering if in your system processes, when your PC has finished booting up, there is one called scvhost or svchost using 90+% CPU ???

PoPcOrN

Mir 2 Moderator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2006
West Midlands
system uidle process= 97-99 and theres svchost and theres 3 of them using no cpu or hardly any mem usage, also my RAM is 192 not very good stall.

before i formatted and chaged 2 xp pro it was running fine well it was slow in a diffo way but this slowness is worse lol

PoPcOrN

Mir 2 Moderator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2006
West Midlands
i just format once again and is still sticky i done the firewall and anti virus

and btw its sticky before i do anything after the format

PoPcOrN

Mir 2 Moderator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2006
West Midlands
well i went to do it but i got confused on the bit where you choose what ever, i have a nvidea geforce4 intergrated

Josh123

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 10, 2006
It happened to me after I formatted, You just have to install your graphics card driver, You should have a CD for it.

PoPcOrN

Mir 2 Moderator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2006
West Midlands
well i lowerd my hardware accelaration akll the way 2 the bottom and its fine now :) also downloading the driver now

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
I would get some more ram if you can, XP uses a lot of ram to run, I assume XP pro may use more :)