@Nameless: possible to re-release server?

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Seeing as you returned, I am wondering if you might be able to (or want to) reinstate the Merciful Mir 2 server.
If you have saved database or even perhaps even if you don't, I would return to play it. Maybe some others would also return. And if it had to be with a reset database, maybe some new pple might try it too. Mir2 server scene is currently in doldrums, making it a good time for something like that.

What befell you anyway, care to share what happened back there?

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I am looking at server sort of stuff. Is fun.

I doubt very much that someone is just going to release the server files they’ve put so much time and potentially money into.

If you’re looking for “server sort of stuff”
Then download the open source and play around with that.

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
I doubt very much that someone is just going to release the server files they’ve put so much time and potentially money into.

If you’re looking for “server sort of stuff”
Then download the open source and play around with that.
That's my exact focus. Downloading open source and playing with that.
Thanks.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I would play if this was reinstated.

The Mir2 scene needs reviving.
It doesn't.

I think the state of mir 2 is really good in terms of whats out there and what's to come.

the fact people are getting the itch for a new server means the server pacing for GMs is good, there isnt too many in too quick succession.

Reactions: Jev

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Don't know how others see it but I like playing those smaller servers even if they sometimes have short life, I have best memories of them even if the way they ended was upsetting at the time. Maybe I like them because on couple of them I was even top ranking when they went down which made it more galling.
On those big population servers I never made it too far before dropping off for one reason or other, or if I stayed, I was just hanging on coattails out of sight behind the main pack.

I didn't mean that mir scene is dead or dying, just that there is a period now when servers are not released right and left and you don't know which to jump on first, like it sometimes was.

Last edited:

Nameless

Merciless Mir 3
Dedicated Member
Aug 17, 2015
I don't have the time to be hosting a server currently, although I am considering releasing the files as I doubt ill ever do a server again.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Mir 2 is far from dead. Multiple servers online, multiple servers to come.

From what I gather in group chats / discords people just want a server they can trust isn't going to be a quick cash grab and on to the next one, people want longevity and quality.

The last two servers I have played have just been a big rush to end game and new items coming out like every month, then all of a sudden the balance of the game goes way off and people start leaving.

I feel like everybody just plays the latest server whether it's rubbish or not because it's just filling the void!

We have been spoilt in the past by some really good long lasting servers so maybe I'm just old and need to get with the times :ROFLMAO:

Must admit I'm very excited about the Euro Reborn server though that will probably be my last one! (said that before, many times) haha

Xele

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Apr 10, 2017
Mir is in a terrible state right now, recent servers over the last year have been very poor, the last decent one was Artificial (in terms of fun) but that had quite a few of its own problems which killed it off rather quickly (atleast for myself and my friends)

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
This is a 20+ year old Private Mir Community. The game itself is ancient in game years. All in all its is still active and has servers up and new ones being worked on. I have been here a long time and avery now and then it has a dip where thinhgs seem to go quiet for a bit but it always bounces back. All in all its not in a bad place i dont think.

Reactions: Pusha

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
It's also very easy to say from a player perspective to fully blame the GM side, all the time.

the community can be just as much of an issue on a server, there is huge issues with abuse, toxicity, abusing bugs and exploits (even the people who say they want longevity in their servers, will abuse the crap out of things to brick a server)

I also think expectations on GMs to have that open communication nearly 24/7 and updates every other day is a huge burn out for some GMs as it's relentless.

All in all, if people enjoy a server, whether its 50 or 500, at least people are enjoying it; after my final server if I ever get around to it, I will also release my source for anyone to pull parts out as long as the contributors all agree to it.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
It's also very easy to say from a player perspective to fully blame the GM side, all the time.

the community can be just as much of an issue on a server, there is huge issues with abuse, toxicity, abusing bugs and exploits (even the people who say they want longevity in their servers, will abuse the crap out of things to brick a server)

I also think expectations on GMs to have that open communication nearly 24/7 and updates every other day is a huge burn out for some GMs as it's relentless.

All in all, if people enjoy a server, whether its 50 or 500, at least people are enjoying it; after my final server if I ever get around to it, I will also release my source for anyone to pull parts out as long as the contributors all agree to it.
That's very true, I know of a certain guild quite well known on every server they move on to, that they just start looking straight away to find ways to exploit and abuse certain bugs at the release of the server.

Literally ruins it for them and everyone else playing but they would rather have the head start and have the server closed after 6 months.

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021

Reminding me of the days of D server. A lot of abuse and toxicity, with users facing 30 day bans for abusive behaviour and even from forums for abusing moderators.

P server on the other hand was more peaceful.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Reminding me of the days of D server. A lot of abuse and toxicity, with users facing 30 day bans for abusive behaviour and even from forums for abusing moderators.

P server on the other hand was more peaceful.
Yeah I played P, I must of been about 12-13 when I started playing on there and can't remember once anyone abusing people in GC or in town, guess that's why it got the nick name of Care Bare server lol!

People queuing up for hours on end even going AFK outside the doors, instead of fighting for OKS when it first came out seems crazy now when I think about it!

Reactions: Omnibus

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I think the big problem now is, due to the UC being a huge influence for servers enjoyment and not having a massive UC where you can ban the toxic players for X days because it'll directly hurt your server either way, as your UC drops for bans or from toxic players.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have the time to be hosting a server currently, although I am considering releasing the files as I doubt ill ever do a server again.

Don't make hasty decision, let is sit for some weeks or months before moving on it.

I doubt your 'leave' had to do with having enough of taking the ^&*(), abuse from your servers, more like some personal or work related things. The sudden drop out from scene led me to speculate if you died suddenly or something bad like that, glad that wasn't the case.

Reactions: Nameless