New memory - Again

Join Discord

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Yep, it will work fine. if they aren't the same brand of memory, I'd be a little cautious of running in dual channel though.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
They are different brands... Corsair and kingston? is that right?

Could you possibly take 5mins to find me a better match?

Aquilo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 1, 2005
The only better match you'll find is actual matched pair kits.

I doubt they'll run in dual-channel mode, by the way, since the different module sizes, and that you'll have 3 sticks of ram (Note the 512mb module size from CPU-Z, and your overall 1024mb RAM size, thus two modules of 512mb, and the link points to a 1gig module).

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
That confused me lol. In a simple way

i could do with buying 2 Corsair 512 sticks, instead of 1 1gig stick?

Aquilo

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 1, 2005
According to those CPU-Z shots, you've already got 1gig of ram. It's consisting of 2x512mb, atm, running in single channel mode (for some bizzare reason, likely mismatched modules).

If you then added a new 1gig module, you'd be up to a total of 2gig of ram. However, it would all be in single channel mode, still, given none of the modules match.

If you just want 1gig of dual-channel ram, get a 2x512mb kit (they'll actually be called kits).

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Aye what i may do is take the RAM sticks that are in now, buy a 1gig kit, then buy another 1gig sooner or later, meaning i then have 2 gig all the exact same.

Cheers for your help Auron.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
It works out to be about the same cost per 1GB stick as the kingston you was after, it's faster, lower latency, a matched pair and can be overclocked like hell.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
YW, have fun with it. Many ppl on the overclockers forum have said that the RMA turnaround (sp?) from crucial can be as little as 48 hours.

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
always shop at over clockers and sign up to them if you can becuase they send you newsletter every so often with brillient deals

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Ah ****.

Got my ram, put it all in, restarted PC... it said "Since you installed Windows, your hard-ware has changed dramatically, you must re-activate windows"...

Now my windows is... lets say, not as legit as 100% legit. Copy is legit in a way, my work put on of their on for me, I just dont know the code!

Im guessing I will need to get a new code from some where? :S

edit: Never mind :D, I got a program to get the code that its already using, and then clicked re-activate, and it just activated it, no need to re-enter it :).

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not really used my pc if im honest, but i noticed i no longer need to close down alot of programs to play WoW smoothly.

But I hardly play wow now so... lol