Monitor 17" flat screen
DVD-RW

Thanks.

Last edited:

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Urban will confirm this when he replys. Get a Conroe CPU, they piss all over the AMD chips.

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
DeathWish said:
£1000 to spend, its mainly for gaming.

This is some of the stuff I want.

AMD 64 Dual core processor
2GB RAM
300GBish harddrive
Nvidia graphic card with SLi support for later
Case
Motherboard
Power Supply
Monitor 17" flat screen
DVD-RW

Thanks.

all i can say is there is 1 exacly like that in a pc mag i got only £999 good reviews but if u was to just buy the tower an keep ur monitor atm u cud probs get it for around £800 may be a bit less but not much i looked at nerly the same comp as wot uv put in there got a pc expert to kinda giv me a rough price an he told me £700 for just the tower. been told there fast (especailly as u use them just for gamin) but if u can get the Conroe tower for around that pricei wud go for the Conroe as this got brilliant reviews

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
dapoldi said:
... Maybe.. for a while, maybe.. for years to come if there isn't and answer from other parties.. And. ofcourse. as long as you dont stick your head out of the department of Home-Land Computers .. thats true..
Thats.. quite a small "everything else" though.

I try to always make sure i have a "balanced" opinion.. as one might have followers who take your word for granted and spit you out on disappointment. And.. because there are always others which are sometimes less, sometimes close to and perhaps sometimes better informed I guess.

anyways.. maybe this is a nice illustration:

F.E. you're welcome to try any Conroe on the Market.. or that will be on the market for some time to come to.... lets say.. this one..

http://tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1066381706.jpg

(and thats a Power5 MCM 4x dualcore with 144MB L3 cache from the classic birth-year 2005 its IPC-PTC will leave consumer products looking like a 2 legged turtle with cramps..)

The "Speed" Crown has never been in intels nor amd's hands.. it has never left IBM as far as i know.. we "consumers" just tend to ignore that in reviews or opinions ;) @ least im looking forward to the power6 release this year.

ow.. i have a Conroe in pre-order.. just in case you're wondering if im some sort of fan-boy.. nope, just buy whats best for the bucks to come.

And for that :) The Conroe will perhaps beat everything else..

I have no idea what that was for...

Conroe > Everything

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
dapoldi said:
Grinn..

SELECT * FROM USERS WHERE CLUE > 0

.. have a nice day.

I think you're the one that needs a clue with comments like this:
dapoldi said:
..But lets wait untill there's more than a few engineering samples reviewed before jumping conclusions :)

Considering that most chips reviewed are retail, your comments are void. And then, even if ES chips were used, since the models tested would pertain to the right amount of cache then it still would be the same as testing as retail chip, so again, your comments mean nothing.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
dapoldi said:
I was emphasizing the fact that your statement takes a "single point of view", and thus.. as you should very well know being a expert yourself a "single point of failure", my addition to your (imho) black and white view of "Conroe > everything else" was merely to give attention to the fact that I, personally.. think that narrowing your perspective in that way is.. an insult for your own intelligence.
What I'm trying to say is.. keep your eyes and ears open and leave them open.. I'm very well aware of the good Conroe news, thats wonderful..

But to me doesnt mean i'll ever make the statement "Conroe > Everything else" before i've handled one, used and abused it @ my will and.. before its clear this is NOT a "paper review or release" (I know ;) thats more ATI's thing :P but happens..) ..

If its predictions we've seen come out I will form my conclusion based on whats tested by myself and might or might not advice people to buy it for whatever reason they care to use it. I wouldnt advice it for someone thats building a micro-router for example.. etc etc..

As for retail and ES.. I can only say that the cambridge dictionary will tell you that retail means its being sold to the public, Conroe = not yet sold to the public.. and thus not retail. (nag nag :P lol)

But.. thats completely irrelevant, as you said..the difference between an ES sample and normal production yield will be either minimal or nothing, besides maybe a "slight" difference in OC capabilities if the ES's were "set up"for review by the manufacturer (aka handpicked labeled N locked @ less and send of for review)
The big difference and again.. my point is just that you're as it seems settling for opinions created for us and to us by others whilst i'd rather wait and see for myself.

For me.. a review is a like a quick start guide but.. not a manual nor bible.
If you've got a Conroe sample on the bench, let me know.. I'd be interested in your opinions.

my 2 cents.. (sometimes i've got to explain) ..

Now.. if you react to this without saying my comments are meaningless.. i'd be somewhat suprised, I think :) but.. you'd score a 10 on my respectometer allright.

This is a soho forum, so when I refer to Conroe> everything else it's in a soho fashion.

None of my statements were based off of online sites, but rather testing done by individuals with both ES and retail CPU's (steppings 4 and 5, with 5 being in person but not done by me).

Like I said, my comments on this forum are to be taken in soho fasion, since that's what 99.99% of the people here are concerned with.

The difference between a retail cpu and an ES cpu is that usually the ES CPU is labeled ES, sometimes has unlocked multi's or a larger cache. Retail CPU's are identical to anything you will see in a store.

While some ES CPU's do well in overclocking, the WR is almost always set with a retail or oem CPU for that model/line, historically that is.

This forum is worlds apart from a tech forum, and thus so are my posts between the two. If I were to go into reverse HT theory or advantages of a quicker cache vs more cache then not only would the members here not understand, they simply wouldn't care. The mass public doesn't want a slideshow on how or why, they just want to know what to buy that's best for their money, and so far I have yet to disapoint. But like I said, you can't just look at a post and analyze it, you have to realise where that post is and who the audience is.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to hand test every CPU before I've boughten one for myself and that is also where most of my experience comes from in terms of recommendations here. Concerning conroe, my recommendations are not based off tech sites, but rather ES and retail cpu's that I have gotten info from knowledgeable, trustworthy people who have the connections to get them early or in one case that I was able to view in person.