New upgrades...

smoochy boys on tour
Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Right, i've got around £500 to burn, and i'm thinking of getting upgrades for my PC.

I know that upgrading my GFX card is a must, because this damn sapphire peace of **** keeps dieing on me. On this one, I've been looking towards a Radeon x800 Pro, for £285. Does anyone know of a better card for similar money? Oh, and it should be available btw, that's why it aint a GeForce 6800 :P

I was also thinking of upgrading my CPU, to a AMD XP 3000+.

But then i'm left with quite a bit of spare cash, so could anyone recommend any other upgrades that might be handy?

ssj4songohan

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003
more ram, new monitor, new desk new mouse, anything that you ant, i also recommend a USB mug warmer xD so 21st century

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
¤]´)÷¤--§îr Äürøñ--¤÷(`[¤ said:
Right, i've got around £500 to burn, and i'm thinking of getting upgrades for my PC.

I know that upgrading my GFX card is a must, because this damn sapphire peace of **** keeps dieing on me. On this one, I've been looking towards a Radeon x800 Pro, for £285. Does anyone know of a better card for similar money? Oh, and it should be available btw, that's why it aint a GeForce 6800 :P

I was also thinking of upgrading my CPU, to a AMD XP 3000+.

But then i'm left with quite a bit of spare cash, so could anyone recommend any other upgrades that might be handy?

whats ur current specs?

Don't waste your money on an axp 3000+, get a mobile and overclock it, they can do 2.4ghz+ easy and stable.

As for gfx i would recommend waiting for the 6800GT.

Mar 23, 2003
urbanfox said:
whats ur current specs?

Don't waste your money on an axp 3000+, get a mobile and overclock it, they can do 2.4ghz+ easy and stable.

As for gfx i would recommend waiting for the 6800GT.

Current specs on the PC i'm looking to make nicer:

AMD Athlon 2600+
1GB DDR333 RAM
160gb HD
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9200 256mb
19" CTX CRT Monitor

--

The problem with the 6800 is availability. This thing really does need upgrading sharpish, and in my honest opinion, the best way would be to do the GFX & CPU.

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary

AMD Athlon 2600+
1GB DDR333 RAM
160gb HD
19" CTX CRT Monitor

--

The problem with the 6800 is availability. This thing really does need upgrading sharpish, and in my honest opinion, the best way would be to do the GFX & CPU.

what motherboard do you have? the cpu upgrade will still frag your new gfx down a hell lot of you got only ddr333 and especially if ur keeping it stock since its axp.

ssj4songohan

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2003

AMD Athlon 2600+
1GB DDR333 RAM
160gb HD
19" CTX CRT Monitor

--

ok ok, ive said it once and ill say it again!, U....S....B MUGWARMER!!! xD

Sil3nced.Mir2

Don't spend it on your pc n00b =/

Donate it or slam it all in the bank.

ps. i'd never upgrade my pc =/

Damian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
I think what he means is theirs a lot better things out there
to waste £500 on... Besides the current specs aint too bad!

If you must spend it on PC gadgets, the new Geforce is looking
rather nice :D

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
damian said:
I think what he means is theirs a lot better things out there
to waste £500 on... Besides the current specs aint too bad!

If you must spend it on PC gadgets, the new Geforce is looking
rather nice :D

his currenty specs dont allow him to enjoy any new games, not to mention speeding up other things, and ive been thinking about it, and i wouldnt buy a new card without giving his system an overhaul because the athlon xp (even at extremely oc'd speeds) is no where close to that of even a stock p4, which ive been thinking is because of its incredibly starved memory bandwidth, among other things.

EDIT

i was referring to the axp with the next gen cards

Last edited:

Sil3nced.Mir2

My computer handles lineage 2, which i'm happy about.. I know akid who's didn't handle it, he went and upgraded straight away?..

I run a mirserver also, with just a default PC, not upgrades, nothing. My server dosn't lagg unless my sister downloads 20 mp3's =/

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Sil3nced.Mir2 said:
My computer handles lineage 2, which i'm happy about.. I know akid who's didn't handle it, he went and upgraded straight away?..

I run a mirserver also, with just a default PC, not upgrades, nothing. My server dosn't lagg unless my sister downloads 20 mp3's =/

i have no idea what any of that had anything to do or in any way imaginable pertained to this thread.

Sil3nced.Mir2

the post was a reply to this :

urbanfox said:
i bet u said to urself, "damn, this peice of **** 386 just aint cuttin it, i need a pentium 1"

Mar 23, 2003
urbanfox said:
what motherboard do you have? the cpu upgrade will still frag your new gfx down a hell lot of you got only ddr333 and especially if ur keeping it stock since its axp.

Umm, i don't know actually, lol, i'll open it up tomorrow anyway.

I noticed nVidida just launched the 6600 series though, which looks a lot more attractive to the amount of cash i'm prepared to blow on a GFX card.

Really though, i'm not too worried about bottlenecks in any way. So long as the box will be able to handle Hl2, i'll be content.

As for the P4 option, well, it isn't one really. I'm not quite prepared to gut the system to switch achitectures atm, when the box is mostly used for playing Enemy Territory & my huge array of VALVe games....

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Umm, i don't know actually, lol, i'll open it up tomorrow anyway.

I noticed nVidida just launched the 6600 series though, which looks a lot more attractive to the amount of cash i'm prepared to blow on a GFX card.

Really though, i'm not too worried about bottlenecks in any way. So long as the box will be able to handle Hl2, i'll be content.

As for the P4 option, well, it isn't one really. I'm not quite prepared to gut the system to switch achitectures atm, when the box is mostly used for playing Enemy Territory & my huge array of VALVe games....

might want to look at some new ram and a mobile xp cpu, and possibly a 9800pro or a newer vc if u want to fork the cash

Mar 23, 2003
urbanfox said:
might want to look at some new ram and a mobile xp cpu, and possibly a 9800pro or a newer vc if u want to fork the cash

Aye, been looking towards some new ram.

That's why i was looking towards the GeForce 6600 series. They're priced (aparently) between $100 and $140, which winds up pretty damn cheap here in the UK.

I also looked at the ATI Radeon x600 series, but the GeForce 6600 series looks to be the better card all-round.