new vs old

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
What is the consenus regarding mir servers?
Are you more partial to trying a completely new take on mir, such as creations such as Torozor or Project69.
Or are you more likely to be interested in the basic mir setup, such as servers like 4H or mirrevenge provide?

I have noticed that the consensus from coders and server creators it to stick to the main premise of what mir is and has always been, only slightly breaking out of the mir box with small additions - such as detailed quest systems or fishing/riding. But even these are far from a new direction.

I was just curious if anyone is working on anything original.
Or if anyone would be interested in a completely new take on the idea of mir, with what the options avaliable allows.

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
People play Mir for what it is. There's only so many things you can do without ruining it. Essentially, you can't polish a turd.

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
People play Mir for what it is. There's only so many things you can do without ruining it. Essentially, you can't polish a turd.

Theres plenty left to make it original.
If i had the connections or files that the likes of Iceman or Ben has, I could make an awesome original server.
It just seems that the people with these connections and abilities have been playing it safe in term of content. :001_tt2:

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Mir`s, mir tho tbh.. if people wanted change they wud go play something else.

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
Mir`s, mir tho tbh.. if people wanted change they wud go play something else.

Yet the likes of Torozor and Project69 explored many ideas long before people adopted them very basically. Taking the game away from the mir feel. These servers had amazing usercounts and even communities.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Yet the likes of Torozor and Project69 explored many ideas long before people adopted them very basically. Taking the game away from the mir feel. These servers had amazing usercounts and even communities.

Old mir would only work with the mass numbers.

You need a way to get the same feel with fewer numbers

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Mir is a dying game at the end of the day. Each year passes, less people play. Bringing out a totally new type mir is good but it will not capture that magic that is once mir.

I find every game I play I compare to mir which is not good. There is also not enough knowledge out there...

I'm not having a dig at people but you have a few divides in mir...

Those who can code their own files, make what ever they want. These are great servers, but nothing is released. End of the day why should they, they work on it etc etc for what someone else to come along put a server up and make money of their work?

Those who can script and have good ideas but have to use pre made files, this is great but there are limitations due to the lack of knowledge.

Those who are trying to help the community along (Phili, Lemon etc) that people release the codes for and the updates but they are so busy in their real life that they can't dedicate stuff 24/7.

To be honest - what more can you really do with mir?
What more can you do with a MMO?
Level, get items, stroke your virtual **** - rinse and repeat.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Yeh i know that newhope and i can see your side of the argument but its really not hard to take on stupid ideas and add them as best you can. We never had a huge usercount on Torozor either, I cant remember it ever going over 65.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
To be honest - what more can you really do with mir?
What more can you do with a MMO?
Level, get items, stroke your virtual **** - rinse and repeat.
your so right

there are no out side the box ideas when it comes to games mir

he who pays rl cash gets great items/levels

he who geeks all day gets great items/levels

the casual player gets left behind

way it goes!

I sorta fail to see your arguement tho newhope.......... what makes toro / p69 so special?

I mean torozor wasnt really special, other than it had i guess a quest story line to it? where u had to complete quests to unlock new players, rather than obtain levels etc

appart from that, it was ur basic high rate, kill a boss, 9/10 ud get a "rare" item.. after a week u was max level with best kit, and it was a bore

I never played p69 so cant comment :001_tt2:

GOMEEE

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
I sorta fail to see your arguement tho newhope.......... what makes toro / p69 so special?

I mean torozor wasnt really special, other than it had i guess a quest story line to it? where u had to complete quests to unlock new players, rather than obtain levels etc

appart from that, it was ur basic high rate, kill a boss, 9/10 ud get a "rare" item.. after a week u was max level with best kit, and it was a bore

I never played p69 so cant comment :001_tt2:

I think what he was getting at is the fact that the essesial layout differs from most other servers....

I never played torozor enough to know much about its layout...

but other servers use the basic layout or BW, MW, PI etc, keeping most of the origional caves in... bringing back lost caves such as slave cave, ghoul cave and mystery cave. a server where a player is 99% of the time when they start out, because they have played a/several servers with the same structure...

where as p69 has very little of the above structure, if i remember rightly, they used alot of the caves, but juggled them around... renamed them and put different mobs in the caves.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Mir for me was at it's best in 1.4 - Especially in Priv servers.

Kinda started to lose interest more and more as it developed.

The silly powerful spells killed euro.
The silly high stat items killed p servers.

All my opinion of course.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
The main gain of P69 was that it was out and running successfully and reliably at the same time the official servers were at their strongest and the interest in Mir was very strong.
It was an alternate version that was free.
I played it very briefly and didn't like how everything was all over the place. I eventually dumped all my stuff in the middle of BW and gave up.
If I remember rightly, you were given gold on log in. So you could keep making more money for yourself.
Basically it just didn't work for me.

The new official server works well. Apart from very tight arse changes such as ore being 1 gold a piece etc. The new maps are good fun, especially Lunar and Red valley. Even the Premium Dungeon is good fun.

Andreas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 12, 2008
Timisoara
The main gain of P69 was that it was out and running successfully and reliably at the same time the official servers were at their strongest and the interest in Mir was very strong.
It was an alternate version that was free.
I played it very briefly and didn't like how everything was all over the place. I eventually dumped all my stuff in the middle of BW and gave up.
If I remember rightly, you were given gold on log in. So you could keep making more money for yourself.
Basically it just didn't work for me.

The new official server works well. Apart from very tight arse changes such as ore being 1 gold a piece etc. The new maps are good fun, especially Lunar and Red valley. Even the Premium Dungeon is good fun.

yeah and i love that u can actualy can get the rarest items inagem by buying gamegold like heaven arm /sowg bos hs ( of course im sarcastic ) and the server is fail ;)

Last edited:

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
yeah and i love that u can actualy can get the rarest items inagem by buying gamegold like heaven arm /sowg bos hs ( of course im sarcastic ) and the server is fail ;)

to bad they not the rarest items lol

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
I think what he was getting at is the fact that the essesial layout differs from most other servers....

I never played torozor enough to know much about its layout...

but other servers use the basic layout or BW, MW, PI etc, keeping most of the origional caves in... bringing back lost caves such as slave cave, ghoul cave and mystery cave. a server where a player is 99% of the time when they start out, because they have played a/several servers with the same structure...

where as p69 has very little of the above structure, if i remember rightly, they used alot of the caves, but juggled them around... renamed them and put different mobs in the caves.
Yer i get what ur saying

in my experience tho ppl have always prefered a mixture of familiar places, along with brand new stuff

but tbh, brand new stuff would probably be way better than old stuff, as long as it was done properly

most servers that attempt new stuff never do it properly, they rush it or it looks crapy

id welcome a new startin area if it was maped properly

sumfuka

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 14, 2007
Old mir to me is, bugcave the only viable leveling area, zuma temple to hard to solo. leveling from 0-44 in bugcave, putting in 8hour sessions and making 5% exp a day. Thats old mir to me.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Exactly.

Going to WT and killling WT for decent items, then levelling in BC is what mir is all about for me.

Then when you're a bit higher level camping ST 7th, then going to to kill ZT and RME... Good old days of mir. Once i get past these stages of mir I get bored of mir with all these boring new bosses.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
dont take this the wrong way, but thats amazingly retarded

you prefer to level for months on end in the same place, constantly grinding lol

go play USA if thats how u feel, thats not wot private servers are about

seems silly to say u dont want new boss's

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not retarded at all.

I hate levelling, however I prefer mir when there was less places to level, and people was around the same level.

Rebirth and all the other descriptions of it killed mir. Why do i want to level to 80, to then go back to level 40 and do the same 40 levels I've just done over and over again... that to me is as you say "retarded".

Back in't day we had P servers where people would get to level 40-45 and then concentrate on getting the best kit by killing bosses.
Now all I see people doing is levelling and paying silly £'s for kit.

old school mir and p servers ftw.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Not retarded at all.

I hate levelling, however I prefer mir when there was less places to level, and people was around the same level.

Rebirth and all the other descriptions of it killed mir. Why do i want to level to 80, to then go back to level 40 and do the same 40 levels I've just done over and over again... that to me is as you say "retarded".

Back in't day we had P servers where people would get to level 40-45 and then concentrate on getting the best kit by killing bosses.
Now all I see people doing is levelling and paying silly £'s for kit.

old school mir and p servers ftw.

Sadly those types of servers cease to exist. Mir's rapidly dieing, and has long since died from what it used to be.