No signal to my monitor

BlueJeans

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 12, 2004
my monitor is not getting a signal from my pc why is this and does any one know how to fix ?

tried the pc on different monitors and my new pc works fine with my old monitor so its def the PC that is at fault.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
some more details please, card model etc.

check for a lose connection too.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Get a new monitor cable, Mine has broke before they only cost about 5 pounds!

mapadale

Are you using onboard or installed G/Card

If installed G/Card, remove it an plug display into onboard to test - If it works your G/Card is screwed - If both don't work then its the mother board.

If using on board, theen buy a G/Card and test

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
i would say try a different monitor cable before checking if it's a graphics problem. I have a problem with no signal going to my 32inch monitor and thought god no i payed a lot for this! but turned out the cable was faulty.

transporter

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 12, 2008
Darlington
Chances are that the resolution is set to high, this happened to me on a brand new desk top and mon itor, what i had to is run my PC on my LCD tele, right click , personalise and display settings and lower the resolution and it worked fine.

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
could you not try the monitor on a different computer? narrow down what it could be, trial and error and you will easily find out what the problem is.

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
yes but is he using the same monitor cable with the old monitor that he is using for his new monitor? That's why it's best to test out the new monitor on another system just to be sure. Monitor cables often become faulty so testing an old monitor would not rule this out unlerss he is using the same cable... u get what i'm trying to explain?

mapadale

yes but is he using the same monitor cable with the old monitor that he is using for his new monitor? That's why it's best to test out the new monitor on another system just to be sure. Monitor cables often become faulty so testing an old monitor would not rule this out unlerss he is using the same cable... u get what i'm trying to explain?
If the monitor cable is screwed into the back of the monitor, then most people disconnect it from the machine.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Are you using onboard or installed G/Card

If installed G/Card, remove it an plug display into onboard to test - If it works your G/Card is screwed - If both don't work then its the mother board.

If using on board, theen buy a G/Card and test

This is probably the best way to test if its your card or motherboard.

But also theres a setting in the bios that you may have to change to go from onboard G/card to installed G/card or the other way around. So you might need to check that its set up correctly.

Another thing it may be is the resolution that the pc is set at. If it is that then you should at least see something as you turn your PC on. Resolution only changes when you OS is running. So if u only get no signal when ur OS is running the way to cure this is to run in safe mode and change.

Maybe it could be you graphics drivers? But like the resolution setting you should at least b able to see the start up so u can go in safe mode do reinstall drivers.

My best advice is just plug it into the onboard graphics port which is a default port and work from there. If that fails try a new cable and if possible a different monitor in that port. Try all of these steps before coming to any conclusion that your motherboard is ****ed. Always try the minor things 1st as u dont want to rush in spendin money on new parts that u may not need.

Hope this helps;)

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
is there further info on your new monitor? Is it the same connection as your old monitor (VGA) or is it a DVI/HDMI connection?