LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
rite, for some reason at startup i get the error:
Code:
NTLDR is missing.
Type CTRL - ALT - DEL to restart
I know this means all or any one of three files in my boot info have either been deleted or corrupted. bootcfg wont seem to fix it using the recovery console, cant repair windows installation using the XP Pro setup CD.. dont have a boot disk on floppy but im setting about making one. got the ntldr and ntdetect.com files copied but im having trouble finding the correct format for my boot.ini file.

the pc boots from a 10gb partition on a 120gb IDE drive under C:\WINDOWS. Ive got the ini file set out as below:

Code:
[boot loader]
   timeout=30
   Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
   [operating systems]
   multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windows XP"

where do i need to make changes so that the ini applies to my computer? :S there are two partitions on the main drive, and i have a 2nd 250gb storage drive installed.

Last edited:

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
Boot from CD, then it'll promt you to press any key a few seconds before the NTLDR error is there, do it, then press R to repair windows

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
Annon said:
....cant repair windows installation using the XP Pro setup CD...

the operation freezes up when loading a dll. left it over an hour to see if it came outta suspension. does it every time i try. need another solution =/

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Annon said:
the operation freezes up when loading a dll. left it over an hour to see if it came outta suspension. does it every time i try. need another solution =/
Try with a different XP CD?

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
it froze even on a xp setup cd? that's pretty bad...

maybe try windows pe or another xp cd.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
used two xp pro cd's and an xp home cd.. all 3 are legit. an error pops up during boot from cdrom sayin
Code:
<random name>.dll is missing or corrupt, 
setup cannot continue. press any key to restart

gonna buy a cheap 20gb hard drive and see if i can format and install on a fresh drive. dont wanna format mine cos theres lots of stuff on there i wanna keep. n yes i have backups but cant access them!

Oh and tried different versions of boot.ini, copied all the files that are supposed to be related to the NTLDR Is Missing error but still didnt work.

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Annon said:
used two xp pro cd's and an xp home cd.. all 3 are legit. an error pops up during boot from cdrom sayin
Code:
<random name>.dll is missing or corrupt, 
setup cannot continue. press any key to restart
gonna buy a cheap 20gb hard drive and see if i can format and install on a fresh drive. dont wanna format mine cos theres lots of stuff on there i wanna keep. n yes i have backups but cant access them!

Oh and tried different versions of boot.ini, copied all the files that are supposed to be related to the NTLDR Is Missing error but still didnt work.

When does that error message pop up exactly.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
it goes from DOS to booting from CDROM.. Blue XP setup screen loads up and the "Press f6 to install scsi drivers..." etc thing shows at the bottom of the screen, that disappears and is replaced by the "press f2 to run automated recovery..." then that goes. then it starts loading setup...at which point the error appears, different dll each time..