Pc Help Plz

Blimey

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2011
Hero Village
Basically i wanted to fresh install windows xp on pc. But it froze on the 1st blue screen of set up. (Dosnt load anything, "Windows Setup" is at the top of screen)

So i thought id put in a second harddrive and try do it that way. But i had to remove 1 of my cd drives to plug the hd in. Now i was going to try and make the new hd my main, but i have no idea how to :P So if any1 knows how to install xp on it, and make it my primary HD let me know!

I also tried to boot from cd again, but now i get some error msg saying insert disk and press enter. Is this cause i removed the other cd drive ? How do i fix that ?

Sorry for lack of info lol. Many thanks :D

Biohazard

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Apr 21, 2003
Salem, Oregon
Go to your bios and go to the boot order and select which HD you want to load first.

Are you running raid 0 with both HDs?

Blimey

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2011
Hero Village
I did try to do that. But it wouldnt change the order. I have no idea about the raid sorry

Biohazard

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Apr 21, 2003
Salem, Oregon
Update your mobo drivers, including your bios. Than change. I would also take out that HD you don't want to use.

Are you using a legit xp cd?

Blimey

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2011
Hero Village
How do i update them please ? I was going to, but the connectors wont go into the new one. The wire comes from cd drive then into new HD (Wire originally went into 2nd cd drive)

And nope, but ive used it before and it works fine.

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Disk probs scratched as I had similiar problem, redownloaded black edition of windows xp and put it on a USB stick, installed pretty much fine.

Blimey

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2011
Hero Village
nah the disk is fine, ive tried like 4 copys now lol. I think its were i removed the old cd drive. Someone said remove the bio's battery or something.

I was also thinking if i remove the 1st HD, with the Operating system on it. And leave the new one in there, will it not pik it and make it my main HD ?

unclepeas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 28, 2011
GhoulCave
Have in your computer 1 cd drive, containing the windows disk. 1 harddrive containing no data you care about losing.
Make sure you have the pin in the correct place on the harddrive if you need to, so it is not set as a slave. (depending on the type of harddrive)

When you startup the machine, there will be an option to enter the BIOS. It is usually something like DELETE/F2/F11, it is different depending on the motherboard. Tap this key a few times when the option is displayed (don't worry, if you miss it.. just restart the machine and try again).

When you enter your bios locate the "boot device order" or similar, selecting this should provide you with a list containing bootable devices in your machine. Re-order them so the CD drive is primary, followed by HD then so forth.

Make sure you save and exit. Post what happens / how far you got.

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
Have in your computer 1 cd drive, containing the windows disk. 1 harddrive containing no data you care about losing.
Make sure you have the pin in the correct place on the harddrive if you need to, so it is not set as a slave. (depending on the type of harddrive)

When you startup the machine, there will be an option to enter the BIOS. It is usually something like DELETE/F2/F11, it is different depending on the motherboard. Tap this key a few times when the option is displayed (don't worry, if you miss it.. just restart the machine and try again).

When you enter your bios locate the "boot device order" or similar, selecting this should provide you with a list containing bootable devices in your machine. Re-order them so the CD drive is primary, followed by HD then so forth.

Make sure you save and exit. Post what happens / how far you got.

sense.. much much easier if you keep it simple, have one cd/dvd drive, and one hard drive, when you boot check the bios with del.. 9/10 it's del. go into boot priority and select cd/dvd as first, then save and exit, after xp loads half way you'll need to change it back to the hard drive otherwise it'll keep trying to reinstall from scratch..