PC performance issues

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
For my PC spec, its not running as fast as i would have expected.... ive just upgraded my m/board, ram and got an additional hard drive and i just expected more tbh! i was running on an Nforce 780 board with 4BG DDR2 800 prior and i reckon its the primary hard disk letting me down, but if you can look over this spec and tell me if my weak link is the same as i think it is!

AMD Phenom II 955 Black on air with a Zalman 9900 (not overclocked)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 AMD 990FX Board
4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 CAS 9-9-9-24
XFX GeForce GTX260 Black Edition

1X 150GB WD Raptor 1 (BOOT)
2X 500GB WD Blues in RAID 0 (GAMES)
1X 1000GB WD Green (MUSIC)
1X 500GB Seagate Barracuda (VARIOUS MEDIA FILES)
1X 640GB WD Black (DISK IMAGES)

Bundled up in a Cooler Master RC-1100 Cosmos S

Im presuming its the raptor as its an older version which i beleive is only SATA 150.... on my old board there didnt seem like there was any bottleneck, but all the other drives are either SATA2 or SATA3!!

Im looking to replace it soon with a OCZ Agility SSD, but is there anything else in there that is below par with the other components...... really out of touch with PCs these days, spent too much time working and not enough time gaming me thinks!

Cheers in advance.

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
When you say its not running as fast as you expected you mean in the likes of game load times?

You might wanna consider opting for a Raid 0 setup to improve gaming performance.

Ram is dirt cheap as well nowadays id pop another 4gig in there and you'll really see a difference.

Mobo is fine, wont get any better performance by switching it, definately opt for the SSD though for boot disc, ive seen rigs boot from cold to desktop in around 10 seconds with SSD.

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
cheers for the reply, i didnt realise i had one actually.....

no what i mean is that it feels a bit jerky in places in some games! an issue i had with my older set up which i thought may have been sorted by changing from a DDR2 to a DDR3 setup with a higher spec board than the Asus one I had prior. Also, my games are installed on the second hard disk which is 2x500GB western digital blues in RAID0 so i had expected that to improve performance also having previously had them on the 640GB WD Black....

it seems random though; for example, Oblivion still lags but FallOut 3 doesnt. All of the Source based games i have like HL2, L4D & L4D2, Portal, TF2 etc. etc. all run fine, but Quake Wars, Stalker, and a few more still lag!!

there are loads more tbh, but i have about 70 games installed on my pc so its too many to go into them all! i wonder if its just certain games which are affected. i usually try and tweak the **** out of my games, but i just dont have the time to spend perfecting config & ini files these days!!

might just plod on for the moment and maybe get an SSD after crimbo is out the way..... think my raptor being sata1 is a bit outdated now.

cheers