Problem with new video card!!

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
Hi all, just a quick one.... i bought a GTX460 this morning to replace my aging 8600GTs and after installing it i found that it was lagging more than my older card and was also artifacting slightly!

I did not have time to test it as im on nights at the moment, so i just took it back to PC world (yes io know im asking for trouble, but was too impatient to wait for overclockers to deliver).... they tried to say it was my PC, however a 965 X4 Black Edition Phenom II, Asus M3N72-T Board, 4GB GeiL Ram, 150GB Western Digital Raptor (along with 4 other WD drives) and a 650Watt OCZ ModXtreme PSU...

Can anyone think of any reason other than a fault with the card that this kind of thing would happen.

Cheers

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Hmmm, strange one. Personally never had that but then again I always go with ATI ;)

Google it dude, see if others have had the same issue with the same GPU. Also yeah, going to PC World you're most likely to teach them something than to get help.

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
What was it lagging on? That card could have an issue with what u was running and lagging, could be outdated drivers.

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
everything i threw at it!! HL2, L4D 1&2, Portal, TF2, Crysis.... even Quake 2 which yes i do still play. and the drivers were the 260.99whql drivers so that cant be an issue! thing is, my older 8600GT runs all of those games fine, albeit with lowish settings on Crysis and similar games, so the GTX460 should have been fine....

instead, it lagged... it jerked... there were lines running across the screen... and some artifacting!!

Perrin

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 29, 2005
If it was down to drivers if you install GameBooster when u run it it checks all your drivers are up to date, it dies it much better than Microsoft too. Might be worth a try.

pwnage

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 17, 2006
may sound weird , but whats ur cpu temp running at? my pc jerked like crazy when i did that once turned out my paste had dried out

Zordon

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 26, 2008
Manchester, UK
even Quake 2 which yes i do still play.

Lol someone else who still plays that :) Gotta love Quake, awesome game. On topic, have you found the issue yet? Just a thought, but how many add ons do you have plugged into the mobo? And what wattage is your psu? I've had a similiar issue before due to not enough wattage on my psu. Could be the voltage it needs to run is slightly more required than your old graphics card and hense the issues possibly...

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
Just gave this a quick google, and there's quite a few people having faulty GTX460 cards that have caused artifacting, i would take it back if i were you

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
may sound weird , but whats ur cpu temp running at? my pc jerked like crazy when i did that once turned out my paste had dried out

I do a Prime95 test every couple of months, but it never goes over about 58 under full load. running a Zalman CNPS9900 cooler with brush zalman paste.

Lol someone else who still plays that :) Gotta love Quake, awesome game. On topic, have you found the issue yet? Just a thought, but how many add ons do you have plugged into the mobo? And what wattage is your psu? I've had a similiar issue before due to not enough wattage on my psu. Could be the voltage it needs to run is slightly more required than your old graphics card and hense the issues possibly...

My PSU is a 600Watt OCZ ModXtreme Modular!! i have done a little research into this and the results were that some of these high end cards require a 12volt rail with at least 40A of power. My PSU has a dual rail with 25A on each rail so has a combined total of more than the requirment, but i also read that having a single rail PSU with 70A or more is a better proposition. so i was thinking about a corsair HX850, which has 70A on a single 12volt rail.

on the note of what i have plugged in aswell, i have 2xDVD drives, 1xCreative xFi Extreme Audio, 1xPCIE sata card, 1x WD 150GB Raptor, 1X640GB WD Black, 2x500GB WD Blue, 1x500GB Seagate Baracuda, 3x120mm fans!!

Just gave this a quick google, and there's quite a few people having faulty GTX460 cards that have caused artifacting, i would take it back if i were you

already took it back... got myself a XFX GTX260 Black Edition instead!!! seems to be ok at present but i havent really had time to do a great deal of testing as im on nights at the moment.