Quests

Join Discord

twigletuk

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 17, 2005
Crewe Cheshire
I'm tryin to add the script. ect You have killed 2/60 *Name* but all i'm getting is Variable not found. every monster i kill..

Could someone post a Guid Or 1 script of this made?

Thanks.

Funpire

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 21, 2007
I found this guide somewhere in my old files. Credits go to whomever wrote it as I'm not sure who that is.

Variables Guide
What are variables?
Variables are a way of storing numbered information about a character, guild, group or globally. This means they can be added to as a character does things throughout the game.
How can variables be used?
There really is a huge amount of uses for variables. Here are some good examples :
1) Counting the number of mobs killed
2) Keep track of how many people a player has pked
3) Setting a required number of mobs to be killed before a door opens
4) Allowing for guild points systems to buy things for the guild
And tonnes more, imagination is the limit.
How to use them:
OK, before we start, variables can be very tricky to get right. There are rules you need to follow when using them otherwise things wont work. I would suggest taking your time here and taking note of what does what...
To begin:
Start by adding a folder name "Variables" in your questdiary folder. Next within that folder add a plain text file labelled "Integral". Now your ready to learn the variable commands...
Types of Variable
Use these in the spaces labelled "type" below.
HUMAN: Variable for the player.
GROUP: Variable for an entire group, will disappear if disbanded.
GUILD: Variable for entire guild.
GLOBAL: Variable that applies to every player ingame.
Creating / Making a Variable
Var Integer Type Name (Decide on a name for the variable)

This is the most important part of the variable and is used to not only first creat the variable, but must also be used before loading a variable. This function will load the variable into the game and not a text file and therefore the data will be lost if the player logs out.
To Modify a Variable
CalcVar Type Name + 1 (can be +, -, =, as well as any number)
Will change the variable to how you specify it.
To Load a Variable
LoadVar Type Name ..\QuestDiary\Variables\Integral.txt
This will be required whenever a player logs in and so is often useful to have in Qmanage. It will simply load the value in the Integral.txt into the current variable of the player.
(Important = In order to load a variable it must have been made first)
To Save a Variable
SaveVar Type Name ..\QuestDiary\Variables\Integral.txt
When a player logs out, the current variable will be lost unless it is saved. By saving the variable, the info is added to Integral.txt so that it can be loaded later on.
Viewing the Variable through an NPC
<$Type(Name)>
This is used to view the integral through an NPC in the same way that <$USERNAME> works, simply add it to a #SAY line.
Checking the Variable
CheckVar Type Name > 0 (can be >, =, <, as well as any number)
This will simply check a variables amount in the same way that you might check for an item using checkitem.

Example : Beginners Quest
Probably the best way to see how variables work is to follow this example to add the quest to your server. The quest uses variables to tell when a player has killed 20 Scarecrows.
Beginners Quest
Beginners Quest
Setup Difficulty = Hard
This quest uses variables to ask the player to kill 20 scarecrows. Once 20 scarecrows have been killed the player is given a reward.
To add this NPC to your server :
A) Variables must be used, therefore set up Integral.txt as in the variables guide:
"Start by adding a folder name "Variables" in your questdiary folder. Next within that folder add a plain text file labelled "Integral". Now your ready to learn the variable commands..."
B) Next we need to add the main NPC to the merchants list (If you can't do that yet, wait for the relevant guide). Where you add him, or what he is called doesn't matter. Here is the NPC code: (right click, save as)
BeginnerNPC.txt
[@main]
#IF
checknamelist CompleteSCQuest.txt
#SAY
You have already completed this quest
#ELSEACT
goto @main1

[@main1]
#IF
checknamelist SCquest.txt
#ACT
goto @quest1
#ELSESAY
Hello <$USERNAME> welcome to the beginners quest. \
To complete this quest you need to kill 20 scarecrows. \\
<Attempt the quest/@attempt> \
<Not now thanks/@exit>

[@attempt]
#IF
#ACT
addnamelist SCquest.txt
SET [300] 1
Var Integer Human SCKilled
#SAY
Good luck, come back to me to check \
how many scarecrows you have killed. \\
<Exit/@exit>

[@quest1]
#IF
CheckVar Human SCKilled > 19
#ACT
give ShortSword 1
addnamelist CompleteSCQuest.txt
#SAY
Well done, you have killed enough scarecrows! \
Take this reward. \\
<Exit/@exit> \
#ELSESAY
Number of scarecrows killed : <$HUMAN(SCKilled)> \\
<Exit/@exit>

C) Now, it is important that the variable is loaded every time that a player logs in. Therefore we need to add load variable to the Qmanage.txt found in your mapquest_def folder. Add the following text into the text file:
[@Login]
#IF
#ACT
Var Integer Human SCKilled
LoadVar Human SCKilled ..\QuestDiary\Variables\Integral.txt

D) Next, we must increase the variable every time a scarecrow is killed. Therefore we need to use either Qfunction or Mapquest depending on your M2 Server. Follow the relevent section for you.
For Diamond M2 Server:
This is very simple to do simple open your QFunction.txt found in your Merchant_def folder and add the lines:
[@KillMobScarecrow]
#IF
#ACT
CalcVar Human SCKilled + 1
SaveVar Human SCKilled ..\QuestDiary\Variables\Integral.txt

For Other M2 Servers:
We are required to set up mapquest.
1) Firstly open Mapquest.txt in your Envir folder. Add the line:
0 [300] 1 Scarecrow * QSC
2) Add the following file to your Mapquest_Def folder (right click, save as)
QSC.txt
[@main]
#IF
#ACT
CalcVar Human SCKilled + 1
SaveVar Human SCKilled ..\QuestDiary\Variables\Integral.txt

E) The NPC is nearly compete, for tidyness, add the blank text files called "SCQuest" and "CompleteSCQuest" to your Merchant_def.
The NPC should now work for you ingame and allow easy modifying into any other quest.

Upvote 0

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
i helped him get it working

its better todo it tho mapquest as Qfun will lag your server and shut down if u got to much on it

Upvote 0

Dazz

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 12, 2008
Use what Ice man said, using Var's often lag your server unless you really know how to use them.

/Daz

Upvote 0

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
I found this guide somewhere in my old files. Credits go to whomever wrote it as I'm not sure who that is.

I wrote it you *****.

I think it's a bit outdated now tbh, I wrote that almost as soon as I'd figured out how they work. I think others have improved it slightly now.

Upvote 0