RAM problem

SpiritWalker

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2004
i bought new RAM for my pc yesterday. but the problem is that the computer is still tellin me i only have 256.

i took the old board out put the new one in and then turned of the pc and put the old on back in. this is how to do it no?

any help and advise would be welcome.

also. there is 2 sockets for RAM. 1 were the old board was and 1 spare.. if i put the new or old ram into the 2nd one by itself then when i turn pc on i hear beeps.

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
sounds liek you bought the wrong ram lol or damaged it you need to put them both in lol

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
What's the motherboard brand and model? Some older mobos don't support more than like 128Mb of ram and so.

Can you try the new stick on another machine?

SpiritWalker

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2004
i have an ancient machine which i doubt will take it. my ram is upgrades able to 2gb. and i baught the ram only yesterday and i havent damaged it in anyway. i have two here so maybe i will try the other one tomorro.

i think maybe the once spare socket is fugged.

Salad

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 21, 2006
Woodley, Reading
Firstly can you tell me what type of ram you are using at the moment, simple - type in Powerleap in to google and scan your computer and it will tell you your comp stats. Post them here (if its an old computer its most likely SD ram) mines 5 years old computer amd and it takes 500mb + ram at a time Ragnar so i dont think it would be that. My best bet is that you have bought DDR ram or something.

Sidenote: my computer made beeps when i put mine in but i took out all of my ram and put it back in and it worked fine. the Beep is just if a hardware is installed incorrectly(i think but it worked wen i just put it bk in).

Also i advise you not to buy RAM if you dont know what your computer needs other wise you will end up wasting your time and money.

Although i could be wrong if you could post your comp specs me or some one else could help you more. hope this helps;)

Last edited:

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
DDR wouldn't fit into an SDR slot.

If the ram has 2 notches in it, its SDR, else its DDR

SpiritWalker

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2004
its DDR ram and i need PC1200 which i bought. i got the guy to match it up just incase.

so i havent baught the wrong ram.

think i have an idea i might try out thanks for all suggestions

ok whent to that powerleap site and it has told me im only useing 1 of 2 slots... so maybe the 2nd is broke?

Last edited:

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
SpiritWalker said:
its DDR ram and i need PC1200 which i bought. i got the guy to match it up just incase.

PC1200?? You mean PC2100? Try the original ram stick in tother slot, the one which may be knackerd. Then try the new ram stick in slot you know is working, then you know if if its slot or ram or incompatibility.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Do what most of these have said, try another RAM slot. I had the same probs, i brought a 256mb stick of SDRAM for my pc, i hd 2 spare slots, i put it in the second slot and it never worked, but when i put it in the 3rd slot it worked. I then went and brought another 256mb stick of RAM, put it in the second slot and it worked -_-