Server Hosts Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
We had a player come over to our server and out of nowhere left a rather large donation (somewhere in the region of 100GBP) we immediately looked into this as we saw it as more than a little strange.

Turns out this player/person is using other peoples credit cards to donate to servers. we have reversed the donation and the 'victim' has recieved their money back in full. I wouldn't want anyone else to have this happen to them so I am posting Known Email and IP information for other ServerHosts to check.

Ingame/Forum Alias'
Ciutura
BadWizz

Known Email Addresses
[email protected]

Registration IP Address

Post IP Addresses

Hope it hasn't happened to anyone else.

MasterQ

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Aug 6, 2006
London
I sent you a message over your forums about this person the otherday but when you found out who i was you just ignored me. (Might of been your wife)

mapadale

86.106.255.160 - Moldova
172.136.32.123 - United States
172.158.85.183 - United States
172.158.94.14 - United States
213.233.101.11 - Romania
38.99.101.131 - United States
77.85.96.159 - Bulgaria
80.74.58.200 - Romania*
80.74.59.87 - Romania*

There are only two IP address that match into the same local area and thats ther two with the * all the others are mis matched right across the world. Now the issue you have with this, when a credit card transaction is made your unable to use proxy servers to put the transaction through and so its highly unlikely that these IP's match the same person.

Secondly, have you reported the incident to the relivant fraud prevention unit for that type of card. To which I know your answer is going to be no, cause you yourselfs are also breaking the law.

Sorry Andy, but just because one person used a credit card to "Donate" to your server, does not mean that everyone else that have accessed that account are also in on it and also just to make you fully aware.

As this site is hosted in the UK, you are fully aware that relasing the above IP address in the uk, falls under the miss use of data act. Instead of actually trying to point fingers and probably getting the wrong person into trouble, try and find out facts first. You need to log this with visa/mastercard fraud prevention, as they will have the true IP address of the person who made the transaction in the first place.

@Admin

I would sugest that a guide on posting non server IP address be reduced to a section on the forum for only admins to see and deal with, as posting a range of IP's like this and that not one of them match to the local area apart from two without investigation first. As more and more people are posting firewall logs and other IP storing logs here on lomcn and it can be held under uk law for miss use of data.

T0MMY

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 5, 2007
United Kingdom
Some people are dumb, just to get what their character needs. I agree it was a strange donation but some servers accept that for items e.g. old rndpro. However taking money from other peoples well earned money is abysmal and they should be banned from internet.

/SS

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
I sent you a message over your forums about this person the otherday but when you found out who i was you just ignored me. (Might of been your wife)

I had replied, but in pm rather than email. (i've not been on forums very much recently due to work commitments)

mapadale said:
Secondly, have you reported the incident to the relivant fraud prevention unit for that type of card. To which I know your answer is going to be no, cause you yourselfs are also breaking the law.

Sorry Andy, but just because one person used a credit card to "Donate" to your server, does not mean that everyone else that have accessed that account are also in on it and also just to make you fully aware.

As this site is hosted in the UK, you are fully aware that relasing the above IP address in the uk, falls under the miss use of data act. Instead of actually trying to point fingers and probably getting the wrong person into trouble, try and find out facts first. You need to log this with visa/mastercard fraud prevention, as they will have the true IP address of the person who made the transaction in the first place.

Actually we have reported it to the relivent 'fraud prevention unit'. I don't care about what we do in terms of legality, taking someone else money is just not right.

Secondly I don't really care about the 'law' in terms of released information, I'm simply warning other server hosts (old and new) of a potential problem maker.

Maybe next time I just shouldn't bother?

anyways if I have indeed overstepped any rules feel free to remove the post, I just thought it was my place to warn others about this person.

/cheeky

mapadale

I had replied, but in pm rather than email. (i've not been on forums very much recently due to work commitments)

Actually we have reported it to the relivent 'fraud prevention unit'. I don't care about what we do in terms of legality, taking someone else money is just not right.

Secondly I don't really care about the 'law' in terms of released information, I'm simply warning other server hosts (old and new) of a potential problem maker.

Maybe next time I just shouldn't bother?

anyways if I have indeed overstepped any rules feel free to remove the post, I just thought it was my place to warn others about this person.

/cheeky
I was poiting out, that anything to do with IP's that are not directly linked to the server IE: server IP address. Then it should be directed to an admin, cause as pointed out you could lead sites like lomcn into trouble for releasing an IP publicly and without due reason behind it and so should be down to the Admins to release and not yourselfs.

Guile2005

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 8, 2005
Manchester
You could imagine it on one of those Capital One adverts.
Loan on a Monster Truck?
Donation to Legend of Mir?

lol..sorry couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.