Server - Running costs

Join Discord

raven10087

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 5, 2012
I've always wanted to create a server the only thing holding me back is my lack of knowledge with going live.

1) What would be a minimum spec server & cost for
i) 10 users no lag
ii) 30 users no lag
iii) 40+ users no lag

2) Where do I purchase such a server

3) Any tips advice on servers.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I wouldn't spend any serious money at first.
You can run a Heroes or Ruby server on minimal hardware, a desktop pc or laptop running XP or Win7 with atleast 2gig ram and a dual core cpu.
Obviously better spec such as more ram will help but it can be done.
If the user count is low, a low(ish) spec setup will cope.
You also need to run MS SQL Express 2008 or greater for Ruby and this itself requires a fair chunk of resource, tbh, more than the server.
A fairly decent broadband speed is important too.

Try a test server and see how you cope. You might realise you prefer playing Mir rather than running a server.
If you can get your hands on an idle machine somewhere, try with that first, then, upgrade from that as required.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Hi Ardbeg, I also have an on off idea of running little server that I might use as a 'skype' meeting alternative with my three brothers who never played mir, I thought it would be fun 'chat with something to do'. However I never got to it even though I downloaded a whole bunch of files in past years from here that might work... one reason that kept me from trying is I am afraid that any mir files from here would be just 'empty game shell', that is just rough bare environment without mobs and npcs and all that (or perhaps just the most basic ones like raking cats LOL). I don't know that any files from here come sort of finished in that sense, from what I read about here, it seems like nobody is willing to share that kind of thing or perhaps I am wrong? I mean I wouldn't expect some polished setup, I realize it would have rough edges if one tried to play on those files seriously, at which point some work would have to be put in.

Anyway, I got this Dell sever idle that I was able to get some years back for a reasonable price, it is PowerEdge T310 model with probably decent quad core Xeon X3450 2.67 GHz and currently with 8GB RAM, can have 16GB and perhaps might be able to make it 24 GB (actually 23GB is the 'ceiling' for the hardware) with the modules I have if I remember correctly, it is some three years or more since I got the thing. I have two SAS 300GB 15k6 Cheetahs inside and two on hand as spare - the server can run 4 HDDs in mirror configuration if the mission should be critical.

My idea was, is, to run Proxmox virtual environment on it, that's free alternative to VMware ESX, and run virtual machines on it, one of which would be some windows with mir on it. Originally I thought mir requires much more serious hardware but perhaps machine like this one could even run official commercial mir with several hundred users? Of course the other sticking point is the internet, I have reliable wifi 6mbps symmetric up/down with no traffic caps and currently I don't have public IP address so pple couldn't connect to the server from outside, but for some money extra I could get one as well as 10mbps symmetric internet or even better (so far I didn't bother with either getting IP or higher speed, I am fine with downloads on those 6mbps which works out to some 760KB/s speeds up down).

What do you think such setup could run, hosting mir? As to OP question regarding server, I got this machine from eBay, you can find servers that Dell dealers custom preconfigured as per customer orders, which then for some reason or other are not sold and I think so called 'third party businesses' buy them from Dell dealers in bulk and sell them off at a discount (you don't get a chance to configure it, its buy as it is). Actually this particular server was from a small place somewhere in Scotland, I got it in part because the shipping cost (within EU) was reasonable, I live in central Europe. Otherwise you can get good deals from USA but shipping costs can be deterrent, the beast weighs quite a lot.

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I had the original spec sheets of Wemade's servers back in the early days and they were way lower than what we have now. Several machines linked for each server and between map areas on each server.
Your server spec is more than plenty to run Mir. Mir is a lightweight prog and most of it's info is loaded into memory.
All things that increase such as player numbers, SQL tables etc. will increase the load but even then, it's not overly heavy on hardware.
Like any setup, it's as fast as the slowest part of the chain.
If you're running it in house, all IPs will be local.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I remember euromir Mongchon province and Woomyon woods being on separate server from Bichon province and loging to mir, which might have been both on a second server.

I am basically on LAN of my ISP and get local LAN IP, my router is connected to an exterior wireless receiver which ISP supplied. As it is nobody can connect to me (on their own initiative that is, can connect from outside with teamviewer for example, but that's different thing) if I pay something extra I can get public IP so that people from outside my place could connect to me. As far as I can judge it is good, rock stable connection but it would remain to be seen how it would perform for gaming when pple would connect from outside.

That Sirann mir in your sig, what do you have in mind doing with that if or when you would bring it to some playable shape? Do you have any pointers to 'ready made' mir2 server (that is not bare bones files) that would have mobs with drop files of some sort on it?

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
With BT, I connect to a wireless Homehub (192.168.x.x) then out via the Huawei infinity box.
Inwardly, via assigned, dynamic IP to the Huawei infinity box then onto the Homehub which directs incoming traffic to the server based on ports and other settings in the hub.
I can still connect to the internet while all this is going on.
Wireless or Lan cable, you should still be able to offer a server out to the public if you wish.

My Sirann server has been up since USA went down. It's constantly in development when time permits and has a small group of players that still frequent the game. It operates via the method I just described above.

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
I would suggest an intel cpu, type really doesn't matter an i3 will even do the job. The main thing you really need is about 8 gb of ram, I tried running with 4 and it severely limited my mob count as the sql server can take up to 1-2 gb of ram alone. Other than that id say a minimum 50mb line with a static ip for ease of use. This should be more than sufficient for a sub 50 players server.

I use www.cloudsouth.com they are by far the most bang for your buck only downfall is it is hosted in florida so over seas connections will see a bit of lag if they are not using wtfast.

On atlantis I am currently running :

Intel Xeon L5520, Dual Quad, 2.26 GHz ( Dual CPU's )
32GB DDR3 Ram
256gb SSD for Primary
1tb HDD for storage.
1000mb Connection

With this I host :

1 x 2.3 server
2 x 500 Player Minecraft Servers
1 x C# Server

with 0 lag

bit over kill but they have economy packages for as low as $65 usd ( including server 2012 )

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
My Sirann server has been up since USA went down. It's constantly in development when time permits and has a small group of players that still frequent the game. It operates via the method I just described above.

Nice. I am just not clear if that group of players you have on it is all you want (like it is 'close company' thing and you don't want more), or if you welcome all that might want to look?

Last edited: