Simplest files for a noob developer?

Join Discord

I_AM_BORED

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 18, 2006
folks.
I've played for years but never tried my luck at working on a set of files... which would you recommend for somebody with no experience just as an OFFLINE project for the time being?

cheers

OoOoOo24

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 30, 2005
Wales~Cardiff
Heroes ATM. They're just super easy to set up (Download, and click pretty much). And then to experiment with items and monsters you just open the DB in microsoft access and it's just editing words. Some aspects are slightly buggy of course, but they're pretty stable especially if you're just looking to run in offline mode

I_AM_BORED

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 18, 2006
thanks for the reply. Ive had a scower about and the only link i can find for the client is a dying torrent file... do you have a mirror?

OoOoOo24

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 30, 2005
Wales~Cardiff
You could use any mir client that uses heroes files I'd imagine. Try Sacred Mir's files? Just change the IP in the client to 127.0.0.1.

I'd say use mine but I've replaces a bunch of items with custom stuff so your items would'nt be right / have loads missing.

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Coding as well or just developing the already compiled exes?

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
in all honesty c# files are the most basic and easy to use files... they just aint ready for a live environment.. if you want to develop and code at the same time, a c# project is the way to go

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
in all honesty c# files are the most basic and easy to use files... they just aint ready for a live environment.. if you want to develop and code at the same time, a c# project is the way to go
Sorry to say, the C# project is kinda dead.. no'one is releasing anything anymore and the people who are using them.. have basically gone it alone

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Sorry to say, the C# project is kinda dead.. no'one is releasing anything anymore and the people who are using them.. have basically gone it alone

If people are working on the files (which they are) then I'd call that a far from dead project.

OoOoOo24

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 30, 2005
Wales~Cardiff
If people are working on the files (which they are) then I'd call that a far from dead project.

I'm guessing what he meant is that it's dead as far as the non coders are concerned. Any project that is ongoing with c# is closed source, and the open source area is dead. Shame it never got completed really, but you can't really blame people for not wanting to release their hard work & time that has gone into extra coding.

As far as a 'full' or 'complete' feeling server goes, Heroes would be the best for this guy, as he didn't make any mention of coding, just that he's new and wants to experiment with an offline server.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I read it fine, but i wouldn't class a project as dead if people are using it and developing on it.

Anyway. As previous posts say. If you want a set of files to code on to develop - then C# is a good option, if you want something you can just put up and run with all the features, then Heroes is the better option.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
There came a point in the C# files where everyone was doing their own thing to suit their own ideas and there was nothing really being added to the main core of files. Seemed about the time the guild page capability was added and that was the first bit that didn't follow traditional lines.

I wouldn't say they were dead though because the files are still available via svn and anyone can get into developing them.
The files and the project also created a lot of interest which is never a bad thing.

Jamole

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 9, 2004
folks.
I've played for years but never tried my luck at working on a set of files... which would you recommend for somebody with no experience just as an OFFLINE project for the time being?

cheers

Hi,
Out of curiosity.. how did you get on with this?
I was thinking of doing something similar, purely offline and for a bit of fun but I have no idea where to start and have no experience in this kind of thing..

would be interesting to hear how you got on.