So..

bestbet

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2004
Purple Hills
Whats the differece between going 6form or College? why would going 6form benefit me and why would College benefit me? =/.

I really need some advise guys.I don't know alot bout them and what they provide, and which one is better.

Thanks in advance.

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
Colleges are bigger, more people to meet and you get to go around saying "Im a college kid"

Sixth form have less people, everyone knows everyone, you know who the freaks are, and whos a good laugh, and you can still go around saying "Im a college kid".

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
Do some research of the schools in the local area.
Have a look at the top grades, the improvement in grades from GCSE to A Level. These will just give you a bit of an idea.

The only main difference I can think of is the environment.

A sixth form tends to be located in a school along with pupils aged 10-16. It'll likely be a lot more relaxed. There'll be fewer people your age, it'll be a lot closer relationship-wise, and basically what you're used to.

Colleges are usually just people aged 16+. There's loads of people, some of whom you'll probably never speak to/see. It's more like going to work in a way. It's more down to you. It's an experience. Some love it, some hate it.

I have a friend who went from my school after his January (AS) exams to a college. He hated it and he ended up coming back. Another friend has been at college since the start of her AS levels, and she's loved it.

No one here will be able to tell you what you'll prefer or where you'll get better grades. It's down to you to do your research and make your decision.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
And it really depends on what you wanna do career wise. And what subject or main subject you would like to learn.

Vannaroth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2004
London/Aberystwyth
If you wanna go to Uni then 6th form is probably the better option. I have a friend, who happens to be our very own Blaminator, who went to college and apparently the whole thing was a bit of an organisational nightmare, or, in his words, "A PIECE OF F‪UCKING S‪HIT". Whereas 6th form for me was all very smooth.

Last edited:

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
If you wanna go to Uni then 6th form is probably the better option. I have a friend, who happens to be our very own Blaminator, who went to college and apparently the whole thing was a bit of an organisational nightmare, or, in his words, "A PIECE OF F‪UCKING S‪HIT". Whereas 6th form for me was all very smooth.

Agree with this totaly.

College for me was terrible, and it was terribly unorganised. Although, i did find it extremely easy, i just felt no direction from staff, one staff member even took 4 months to mark some peoples work.

Sixth Form is harder so i hear, leads onto Uni as Van said.

So its totaly up to you, on what you expect.

Do remmeber that all Colleges and Sixth forms will differ, i know a few other college not too far away that are surposed to be alot more like Sixth form on the strict side.

Just do a bit of research on the Colleges and Sixth forms you could go to.

/Ash

bestbet

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2004
Purple Hills
Thanks for the input guys.

@ Prai, as any1 else i want a good job thats pays good lol but i still want to enjoy myself and not work to survive lol.

Im thinking about travel tbh so i was thinking abotu doing Travel & Tourism but do colleges provide the same courses as 6forms and at the same level ?

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
I do travel and tourism and chose to do it at college, For the fact that at the college i goto they offer alot more courses and enrichments.

For example, In September, I'm going back for my third year of Travel, Also doing Resort Reps Course and possibly Spanish.

If your thinking of travel college is deffo the way forward.

And of course they do the same levels. I have a national certificate in t&t which i think is A level equivalent I'm not sure yet until i receive my grades.

Last edited:

Kadama

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 28, 2004
West Midlands, Malvern
My missus does t&t, to be fair i couldn't memorize all the lakes, rivers and mountains n whatever else, she knows them all off the top of her head! thing is, only 2 lads in hers and they all have to wear uniforms which i ad to pay £200 odd quid for :( shes on her final year now.

I went to college for 3 years studying sports development & fitness aswell as nutrision, although our department was organised the only issue we had at college was their network going down so we cudnt access our drives for 2weeks which meant no theory work :(

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Travel and Tourism doing lakes rivers and mountains? Sure that aint Leisure and Tourism.

Yeah i study some rivers etc, but only by mistake. We dont get graded on them etc. We learn about Customer service, Worldwide Destinations, Planning trips (Consultancy) etc etc.

In September we will start planning our final over seas trip, Which will most likely be New York.
Its good how we do it as i want to be a resort rep/Cabin crew and another wants to be a Travel Consultant. Therefore the travel consultant will book it, Ill do the safety demos and welcome meetings etc. My course is Alot more role play based.

Kadama

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 28, 2004
West Midlands, Malvern
She has done 3 years so far, it's definately travel & tourism as thats what it says on her assignment briefs :) and shes on her last year, she was training to be a air hostess, she had to learn all the different places on the planet and when i asked her why, she said that if the customers asked any questions when she was on the plane, she had to have an answer. But i thought woman had an answer for everything anyway?? lol

Shes now qualified to be a holiday rep, air hostess, travel agent and a whole bunch of other stuff.

She also goes on trips abroad for her course, magaluf or something in november.

Last edited:

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Oh, i thought you meant one of her units was about rivers, and one was about mountains etc. Yeah like i said we learned them accidentally( Only word i can think of), like they would ask us the capital of America for instance and name 2 man made and 2 natural attractions etc.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
For our role plays we do, But when where not doing them its just our own cloths.

Its worst when i had to do the glamor walk through college when i did my cabin crew course. Now that was embarrassing.

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
college learns you nothing i no a teacher that used to teach me at college and when he quit for retirment he told me how crap college teaching was n how little they teach you

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
college learns you nothing i no a teacher that used to teach me at college and when he quit for retirment he told me how crap college teaching was n how little they teach you

Well thats your college, Not ever other..... God i thought you might of known that.