Spelling.

smoochy boys on tour

michaelj:mrj

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 13, 2005
United Kingdom
http://www.iespell.com/ - Free spell checker for IE.
http://www.dictionary.com/ - A dictionary.

I shouldn't have to do this, but evidently i do:

They're = 'They are'
Their = Ownership: 'That is their car'
There = At or in that place: 'I live over there'

Effect = Noun: 'The effect of speed is to reduce safety' not 'speed effects safety'
Affect = Verb: 'Speed affects safety' not 'The affect of speed is to reduce safety'

To: 'I went to the shop' 'I'd like to ride'
Too: 'There are too many people on here who can't spell'
Two: 'There are two wheels on a bike'

'Brought' is the past tense of 'bring'.
'Bought' is the past tense of 'buy.
The two are NOT interchangeable. You don't bring things in shops, and you don't buy stuff to school.

Sentences are ended with a full stop '.', unless they are a question in which case they are terminated with a question mark '?'. Occasionally you may have cause to use an exclamation mark '!' if you want to emphasise something. You may only use ONE of these per sentence.

Commas ',' are used to put pauses in sentences. Colons ':' preceed lists and semi-colons are out of your league if you need to read this.

Apostrophes are used to show either of two things;
Contraction: Turning "I have not fixed my bike" into "I haven't fixed my bike" or "There is a skatepark near me" into "There's a skatepark near me"
Possession: "It was the man's bike" or "Most forum members' English teachers were diabolical"
It is most definitely not used to show <irony> plural's </irony>, or after every bloody letter S!

I didn't write this, but some of you may find it useful.

Fine, heres Your, you're etc.

You are = You're
Your = Ownership: "That is your car"
You have = You've: "You have a car" --> "You've a car"

Last edited:

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Well jamis, the guy who most needs it ATM, is on a 7 day vacation apparently, so keep this post bumped up for a week so he can also see it ;)

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
please tell me you didnt have to look up those meanings on the tinternet lol.

NeoTrunks

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 30, 2004
THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS SO THAT PPL WILL STOP SAYING SICK STUFF ABOUT SPELLING >.>
im not the only 1 that spells stuff rong seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! XD :P

Miles

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 27, 2003
I've also noticed that some people use "where" instead of "were" which have totally different meanings *Glares at somone (he knows who he is :P)*

/Miles