SQL Stuff

Join Discord

1westy1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2004
So, ive got my 2.3 server running, now i want to edit the database and stuff. Ive seen posts about MySql and MSSQL, now i was just wondering which one do i use, where can i get a Free copy (ive googled it and they seem to be products that cost money) and how do i install it properly?
Thanks
Westy

jamiedotco

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 16, 2006
So, ive got my 2.3 server running, now i want to edit the database and stuff. Ive seen posts about MySql and MSSQL, now i was just wondering which one do i use, where can i get a Free copy (ive googled it and they seem to be products that cost money) and how do i install it properly?
Thanks
Westy

Which Database are you using at the moment to run your server?

Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
MySQL is Free (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/) where as Microsoft SQL Server costs money. MSSQL comes in two version, the older MSSQL 2000 and the much newer MSSQL 2005.

There is also various version of MSSQL (both) such as Desktop, Develepment, Standard & Enterprise. The last two wont Install or run on Windows XP etc, they must be installed on a Server O/S such as Windows 2000, 2003 Server.

You can Torrent MSSQL 2000 Dev edition and install it on XP...

Maybe easier (in a loose sense) to to get and try MySQL in your case but personally I found MSSQL to be better and easier to manage.

Upvote 0

jasper

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2005
There is also various version of MSSQL (both) such as Desktop, Develepment, Standard & Enterprise. The last two wont Install or run on Windows XP etc, they must be installed on a Server O/S such as Windows 2000, 2003 Server.

I have mssql 2000 standard edition installed on winxp home? works fine?
comes with sql enterprise version 8.0

Upvote 0

jasper

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2005

Too many words on that web site for my liking

edit,, just realised this is work pc, will have to wait till i get home to upload it showing on xp home

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Run this:

SQL Server

loadTOCNode(4, 'moreinformation');

To identify what version of the SQL Server 2000 database engine or the MSDE 2000 you have installed, type the following command at the command prompt by using either the osql or the isql utility or by using the Query window in SQL Query Analyzer:

SELECT @@VERSION or SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')

Similarly, you can determine the product level for a particular version of the SQL Server 2000 database engine or MSDE 2000 by running this command:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel')

The following table shows the relationship between:
•The SQL Server 2000 version and level.•The version number reported by @@VERSION.•The product level reported by SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel').

----------------------

Bascily if you read the Link I gave you, you will see that Standard and Enterprise require a Server O/S, Windows XP Home/Pro is not such a thing. Upon shoving in the CD for Standard, if it detects your not running from a Server, it installed the Desktop Edition or something...

Upvote 0

jasper

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2005
i will bow to your better judgement, it loaded personal edition on this pc, (although it was installed from the standard edition disc)

goes away sheepishly

Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Its not a problem - I was not here to Prove you wrong, you would be better off with the Dev edition as it allows more conenctions etc. I recently tried in Vain to install 2005 Standard edition (on Windows 2003 Server) and failed badly and from what i saw, I liked 2000 more.

Upvote 0

jasper

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2005
ok,, ty, the reason i installed from the 2000 standard disc, is thats the one i could get my hands on without any key problems ect

but to the original poster, i have never used the mysql/navicat thingy. only mssql so was easier for me to use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elvin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 14, 2003
middlesex
Demonic said:

I have XP and enterprise mssql and works fine for me,

gonna go run the scripts u posted and see if i get any problems etc..

Edit:
@@version produces this
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194 (Intel X86) Aug 6 2000 00:57:48 Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)
(NT5.1 even tho its XP)
and SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel') produces this
RTM

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1westy1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2004
Well i installed the MySQL at the top, and im really not sure how to use it, anyone give me some advice or have a link to a guide? thanks
Westy

Upvote 0