Starlink - High Speed Net?

Join Discord

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Getting mine installed today, what's the benefit of not having seperate ONT? also what is ONT :ROFLMAO:
ONT is a modem but for fibre, Virgin has it built into the hub, Have you gone for 2gig? symmetrical speeds?

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
ONT is a modem but for fibre, Virgin has it built into the hub, Have you gone for 2gig? symmetrical speeds?
Ah ok mate, no we can only get BT here as it's above ground, Virgin said it was out of their budget to install here.

Finally in though, after nearly 5 years of waiting for it to become available!

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
A simple search found this
1708454341163.png

To use your own router directly connected to 'TP', it needs to have port to accept insertion of a special 'fiber cable interface'.
Like these two ports (~2" deep holes) in this router. The cable optical end is inserted into that interface which in turn is inserted into one of these two ports.
1708454576258.png
In Canada, major companies supply their own modem/router box (ONT). You can unplug the fiber cable, remove its interface from the box and insert it into your own router (properly configured for that). That supplied box then goes into storage (since you have to return it eventually one day).

The best thing about fiber is symmetric up/down speeds, or at least it can be symmetric, some providers put a damper on it. Around here typically 1GB, higher speeds capable of 2GB (2.5GB, 10GB) require next step in modem technology. Companies around here are not supplying that and if they do, their hardware ONT may not support it and you need to invest into your own better router, not cheap, usually only for enthusiasts...

In case of 2 GB, your LAN switches if you have them and computer also needs network interface capable of those speeds, otherwise you can't take advantage of it, pple sometimes tend to forget when they go beyond the today's standard 1GB speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pusha

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Ah ok mate, no we can only get BT here as it's above ground, Virgin said it was out of their budget to install here.

Finally in though, after nearly 5 years of waiting for it to become available!
ahh, I thought you were getting Virgin! my virgin is all installed above ground, via the open reach poles ;)

i went from 50mb to 1gb , drool. 2gb = overkill but if it was a free upgrade I would take it.
had free internet for like 8 months now haha :P

1708465517361.png

• Carrot
Reactions: MentaL

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
With the way things are going, I could see houses needing 2gb + in the next 5 years.
Crock of shite. 4k UHD needs 25-50mbs. These insane speeds are for heavy data transfers. The average home user will never need these speeds.

Use Openreach’s website to check when fibre will be installed in your post code. (Some locations don’t even have dates as of yet but they are slowly adding more places)
As a builder it annoys me that I’m stuck at home with 30mb up/down yet all the new builds are having fibre straight in.

Website - Openreach

(Third world problems, I know)
Chatting ****. ‘As a builder’ 😂

Get 100mb at my house down road in middle of nowhere from you 😂

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
ahh, I thought you were getting Virgin! my virgin is all installed above ground, via the open reach poles ;)
Yeah, when I had Virgin come out before they said it was out of budget and they weren't offering above ground where I live.

Tbh mate going from like max 20mbs to 1gb is a god send lol, and if the Mrs was streaming anything or playing ******* sims it would just be unusable for me lol.

Speeds are up and down at the minute, guessing this is normal because we are the first ones to have fibre out of the 5 houses near us?

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yeah, when I had Virgin come out before they said it was out of budget and they weren't offering above ground where I live.

Tbh mate going from like max 20mbs to 1gb is a god send lol, and if the Mrs was streaming anything or playing ******* sims it would just be unusable for me lol.

Speeds are up and down at the minute, guessing this is normal because we are the first ones to have fibre out of the 5 houses near us?
speeds should be solid from the get go o.0 what you getting? who you with? BT or someone else?

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
With the way things are going, I could see houses needing 2gb + in the next 5 years.
We have access to up to 8gb download/upload residential and 10gb commercial in my town. I was a beta tester for their 2gb line before they released it, and although the speeds are incredible, honestly, right now they're not worth it.

Most households will not be able to make use of over 1GB speeds due to the technology they have. When I got the 2GB installed into my property, my motherboard on my PC could only handle up to 1GB so I had to buy a PCI-E adapter to make use of the speeds. Every other piece of tech in the property couldn't handle the speeds e.g my Laptop, Series X, Mobiles Phones, Smart TV's etc.

Definitely can see the faster speeds being adventurous in the future, perhaps 5-8 years. Right now its just a waste of money, though I do wish I could make use of my providers 8GB product hahaha

Reactions: Pusha and Jev

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
We have access to up to 8gb download/upload residential and 10gb commercial in my town. I was a beta tester for their 2gb line before they released it, and although the speeds are incredible, honestly, right now they're not worth it.

Most households will not be able to make use of over 1GB speeds due to the technology they have. When I got the 2GB installed into my property, my motherboard on my PC could only handle up to 1GB so I had to buy a PCI-E adapter to make use of the speeds. Every other piece of tech in the property couldn't handle the speeds e.g my Laptop, Series X, Mobiles Phones, Smart TV's etc.

Definitely can see the faster speeds being adventurous in the future, perhaps 5-8 years. Right now its just a waste of money, though I do wish I could make use of my providers 8GB product hahaha
That youfibre? I could get them where I lived previously, and the cost isn’t even that bad 8000/8000 for £99. I would probably get it, my home is 10gb networked up to the balls , even my pc, and even now currently on 2 gig, with a decent ish pc, my steam never goes higher than 160mb, yeah sure speed tests show 2gig, but it’s so useless atm lol, I’m prob going to stick with 1000/1000 that I can get on virgin for around £48 2gig would be £90, if it was around £60 might have done it just because I can lol.

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
That youfibre? I could get them where I lived previously, and the cost isn’t even that bad 8000/8000 for £99. I would probably get it, my home is 10gb networked up to the balls , even my pc, and even now currently on 2 gig, with a decent ish pc, my steam never goes higher than 160mb, yeah sure speed tests show 2gig, but it’s so useless atm lol, I’m prob going to stick with 1000/1000 that I can get on virgin for around £48 2gig would be £90, if it was around £60 might have done it just because I can lol.
Yeah YouFibre. They started their operations in my town and surrounding village but they're very quickly expanding into all surrounding towns, cities, villages etc.

My experience with them has been incredible so far, very stable, incredibly reasonable prices and they're **** hot with their engineers when something goes wrong.

I've also stuck to the 1GB for now just because I couldn't justify the 2GB when I finished the 6 month beta testing if I couldn't use it on all my products. But for £31.99 per month of a 1GB line and x2 Eero Mesh Routers, I can't complain at all!

Reactions: Martyn

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yeah YouFibre. They started their operations in my town and surrounding village but they're very quickly expanding into all surrounding towns, cities, villages etc.

My experience with them has been incredible so far, very stable, incredibly reasonable prices and they're **** hot with their engineers when something goes wrong.

I've also stuck to the 1GB for now just because I couldn't justify the 2GB when I finished the 6 month beta testing if I couldn't use it on all my products. But for £31.99 per month of a 1GB line and x2 Eero Mesh Routers, I can't complain at all!
When I knew I was getting fttp in the area I networked the whole house up, so luckily don’t need to rely on WiFi, although I do have a ubiquiti access point seems to serve the whole house luckily, tempted to get the u7 pro haha, but costs a bit atm

• Love
Reactions: Slipmatt

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
I have no idea what you guys are on about now, but it sounds interesting :ROFLMAO:

Getting 1300+ on wired and 600-700 wifi from my phone (even when close to the router)

• Love
Reactions: MentaL

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff

I like the bandwidth as it gives me overhead on backups and running a media server for friends and family. Long live Plex.

Reactions: Slipmatt and Jev

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
When I knew I was getting fttp in the area I networked the whole house up, so luckily don’t need to rely on WiFi, although I do have a ubiquiti access point seems to serve the whole house luckily, tempted to get the u7 pro haha, but costs a bit atm
FTTP was the best thing to come to our area as we didn't have Virgin in our area, so the fastest we could get was like 70/80mbps with Sky/BT but they are so overpriced it was ridiculous. These guys come in and pretty much took all their customer right away. I've moved house since they first came into the area, but I do wish I hard wired everywhere.

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
FTTP was the best thing to come to our area as we didn't have Virgin in our area, so the fastest we could get was like 70/80mbps with Sky/BT but they are so overpriced it was ridiculous. These guys come in and pretty much took all their customer right away. I've moved house since they first came into the area, but I do wish I hard wired everywhere.
This is all I have to say :kekw:
1708564906544.png

• Sad
Reactions: Slipmatt and MentaL

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Fastest I could get was 20/5 haha, virgin installed their new network in the area, really fast, there is altnet grain nearby but looking on a map they done like 5 roads and virgin did a whole town
Post automatically merged:

This is all I have to say :kekw:
View attachment 33972
Still double what I could get :P

• Love
Reactions: Slipmatt

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Im using Ogi with an Asus Ax86u.