Start programming in Java

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
hi

i want to start programming java

anyone knows what's the best software for newbies programmers?

/alecs

Nightrider

~{GoD}~
VIP
Feb 21, 2004
Southampton,Uk
Umm start with Hello World, then work your way up, get a book called Java for dummies(got it when i started learning) its a very useful book. then start working your way into things like Loops ect the book will explain more than i can as its been a wile, but if u want i can post a simple java script then explain what certian things are :P

-Dan

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
i got a book called "Java 2 Bible" or something like that

i've readed that i need any software like SDK or JDK, what's the best for me?

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
Did you say Java!?!!

I could be the only Java guru here. (The rest being Delphi gurus)

Software...

JDK 6 Update 12 (that's the 2nd thing on the website)
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Eclipse 3.4 (Last one is good for regular use. If you are going to study Servlet/JSP then you want the first one JEE)
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

both software are perfect for beginners and experts. There are other ones but I wouldn't recommend.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Did you say Java!?!!

I could be the only Java guru here. (The rest being Delphi gurus)

You wish :P

As for software to start programming in Java you want something light weight and not confusing, therefore id suggest TextPad or JCreator.

Java is a great language to start programming in, it allows you to learn the fundamentals of Object Orientated Programming and more before you move onto the hardcore stuff. A lot of people start out in Java.

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
I'd agree with Kyn if you are literally just starting, go to the sun website get java and then start off using TextPad. Once your used to that you can work your way up.

Got a new guy at work and he didn't know how to compile a java program in a command prompt as he'd only ever used netbeans, starting from the bottom will help you see whats happening behind the software.

Oh and if you need another book "Sams teach yourself java in 21 days" was awesome when I used it and according to the guy working next to me it still is.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
Yup. make sense to learn the basics with notepad++/textpad/ultraedit and compile/run on cmd.

But you don't really need the basics as you don't tell people to run your program off the command line.

Plus command line = typo.

Avoid all the troubles and use an IDE.

StuzUK

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 5, 2003
Cyber Space
Java is great download netbeans from http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/

You might as well choose the All install, if you have not got the Java JDK installed allready or are unsure then you must install the JDK prior to installing Netbeans.

The only way around this is to download a bundle from Sun direct that includes the Java develpors kit and Netbeans in one tidy installer.

You can get that from here http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/netbeans.html
Make sure you choose English ;)

Once you have your IDE set up and ready to go Sun have some great begineers infomation and tutorials here http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/index.html

one of my favorite sites is http://www.javaranch.com/ Java is free and if you download Netbeans you can later add free software to make applications for your Java enabled mobile phone its a reaaly good language to learn from a beginers perspective and gives you a great understanding of the more complex subjects such as polymorphism encapsulation class inheritance etc.

Excuse the spellings been up all night =P

Ohh on a side note if you have an old PC sitting around download solaris from Sun it has pretty much every Java tool you could imagine preinstalled into a free and open source operating system, it wont replace windows but with open office and solaris you can really do some Java without worrying about installing it all individually.

Solaris come with netbeans and full Java tools pre installed so if you have an old PC lying around that you can use for leanring Java Solaris will do the job very very nicly.

Last edited:

Gadget

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Aug 3, 2006
You wish :P

As for software to start programming in Java you want something light weight and not confusing, therefore id suggest TextPad or JCreator.

Java is a great language to start programming in, it allows you to learn the fundamentals of Object Orientated Programming and more before you move onto the hardcore stuff. A lot of people start out in Java.

Yeah, you wish lol.

I use Java at work.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
nice to know other java gurus.

at work, we use quite a few java technos like spring, struts2.

StuzUK

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 5, 2003
Cyber Space
Yeah, you wish lol.

I use Java at work.

Worked for me but I must admit that after going through the sun tutorials and other online resources I got to apoint where I needed more guided instruction and took a course with the open university, that solidified my object orienated philosiphies.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
To be honest for a true beginner you want to learn the concept and idea of object oriented programming, and understand what it's about before you actually start with Java

StuzUK

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 5, 2003
Cyber Space
To be honest for a true beginner you want to learn the concept and idea of object oriented programming, and understand what it's about before you actually start with Java

Yes I agree but I found the tutorials that Sun provide allow you to understand the principals of OO and learn a little code at the same time, they actually use the console and the first tutorial is the ole famous hello world.

As a beginner myself I found Java a great learning resource also PHP is a really good language to learn and very simple to get started.

If I could role back time I would have gone to Java from the start, instead of trolling through every language that exisited to see where my hat lay.

VB.net is nice and simple also but limited to windows but you have probbly got most of the stuff you need installed allready if you keep your pc upto date.

Anyways thats all from me now I am sure you have everything you need to decide where to go with all this information good luck.