Ruby STDITEMS ID order questions

smoochy boys on tour

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Question1:
Could I reorganize the order of the item's ID number or would it totally screw the game up? The order as it is seems to be from oldest to newest items but the types of the items are all over the place and hard to find unless you've been using it for a while, know the ins and outs of sql, or have a second program which can easily sort the table next to it. If I was able to recreate the table with more organization it would be much easier for me to look through it.

Just throwing this idea out there to see if it can be done.

Otherwise Question2:
I'm looking to use an excel spreadsheet as my original database which i can easily sort through and edit as well as revert back to a previous version if something goes wrong. Then I'll import the spreadsheet to SQL as a new STDITEM table but I would keep the same ID for each item. Would importing the spreadsheet into the STDITEMS table work or would it break something in the server?

Last edited:

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
You can change them, although I'm not 100% sure if it would screw things up as I've not done it before.
Just keep a back-up in case things take a turn for the worst.

Excel would work depending on which files you are using.
Again, just keep back-ups.

I think they both should work fine.

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
How come many of the items in the database are limited to 13-15 letters? Would there be a problem if I entered the full item's name into the database?

Upvote 0

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
As Ice' says, item names and mob are limited to 14 characters.
You can use the VIEWNAME field in the item database to have longer words and even spaces.
However, any scripts that test for items, take or give items must all use the actual NAME field not VIEWNAME.

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks a lot for the clarification and about viewname.
I tried to find viewname on res_items but i couldn't find it. what file is it in?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
If you don't have that column anywhere in the table, you're probably using an earlier version of the files.
You would be getting errors if you have the latest exes and earlier tables.

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
I guess I'm using an older version. I downloaded RubyServerFiles.7z from a website archive and I'm not sure how old they are. Where can I find an updated version or how do I patch the current files?

Upvote 0

Wiccawest

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks a lot.

I have a question about ritem.dat. There's a copy of it in the client after downloading the korean client and a copy given in the server files. I'm currently using the one from the client but I saw a thread before saying to use the one given in the server files. I haven't seen any problems with the client version but which should I be using?

Also Ruby has the numa temple but the numa monsters are invisible to me. Where could I get the client data for Numa temple? I found a thread on here which gave a link but It is megaupload which has been shut down.

sorry about all the questions, I also can't start my server anymore since SQL doesn't work anymore. I made another thread about it since it's totally unrelated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0