The Success(?) of Assassins and Archers

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I'm was just plodding along doing my own thing... I got wondering were the additions of the Assassin and Archer a success?

Admittedly I've not played an Archer for long enough to judge but it feels like a cheap Wizard?

Assassin, whilst it has good skill/effects does not seem to really bring anything new to the table compared to a warrior.

Thoughts and Opinions?

awesome

Microsoft
Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
i think you lost interest for mir2 if you think the archer class is cheap. i think the archer class is cool to try if you get bored with the three other original classes (war, wiz and taoist). the archer is totally different. you get to hold a bow which is very cool and original and you also use skills other classes don't have, that's how i see it.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Problem is that Warrior,Wizards,Taoists were never changed to suit the other classes when you have 3 classes which covers all parts of the support classes and Assassin,Archer comes over as spare parts.

Its like making a Assassin which could possibly have to same ac/dc/acc then have Aspeed+8 all classes need redefining their support role rather then just copying other roles. The issue is lack of information and lack of server creators willing to change things

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Talking from a purely PvP perspective:

From what i've seen on FIveHeroes I think assassins are pretty neat. They're like the "RNG" warrior, they dont just run in and hold shift they play it smart and use their clones/hiding spells for the opportune moment. I'd say they are a success as they're one of the best 1v1 pvp classes for town fights.

Archers I think are good but frankly need work. Nobody has really found a definition for them. They're a single target ranged class... but in what way? burst? high DPS? They bring almost zero utility to the game outside of Portal (which is cool but quite gimmicky/not really needed)

I think the best way to balance them is to make them high DPS based like an assassin, a bit like on FiveHeroes but change the spells to be better combo'd (I like the fact they're reliant on the orbs being max in order to get the most damage out, but sometimes they don't work properly or rather don't coincide correctly) that way, when they're being pressured by a melee class, their dps suffers, but when they do get free-reign and aren't pressured they can destroy their opponent. It would appear tao's have finally found their crux, as archers seem to **** all over them.

ALL of their spells need tweaking and retuning immediately if anyone is planning on releasing a server with them enabled. They scale horribly as it stands, but have great base damage meaning as time goes on they become pretty worthless. DelayedExplosion needs re-cording as it was on FiveHeroes so that the initial hit damage is poor but the explosion damage is massive. It can be purified by a tao, so it has counterplay and imo should be an archers key spell. TL;DR good, can be a success but needs work.

PvE aspect... eh. Both do just as well as any other class.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Total waste of time IMO.

An Archer is a cheap wizard, and an Assassin is like a melee taoist. In a simple game like Mir you only need a Melee/Support/Caster anything else is like a spare part.

Unless the other classes were changed massively to accomade the new ones.