Thinking of buying WoW

smoochy boys on tour

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
Well I have a fair bit of spare time now and wouldnt mind getting into a decent game again.

But i dont really know anything about WoW and i cba looking at reviews because its always better to hear it from real players.

So if any one could fill me in on things like:

Leveling System - How it works, is it just kill for Exp or do you have to complete Quests to advance.

Also is it easyish leveling but rewarding because i dont want to spend hours getting nowhere.

Job/Classes - How many are there and do you get subjobs or anything like that.

Quests - Are there a lot of quests to do so you dont always have to level.

Economy - What is the currency and is it hard to obtain?

Oh and the price per month? (do you get a free trial period?)

Well i would be grateful if anyone could fill me in and oppinions of the game are welcomed.

/Stone

Opeth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 15, 2005
UK
Leveling System - How it works, is it just kill for Exp or do you have to complete Quests to advance. - Killing and completing quests gives exp

Also is it easyish leveling but rewarding because i dont want to spend hours getting nowhere. - its rewarding but takes a while in the later levels

Job/Classes - How many are there and do you get subjobs or anything like that. - tons, and yes

Quests - Are there a lot of quests to do so you dont always have to level. - LOADS but questing generally involves leveling because of the exp you get from completing them

Economy - What is the currency and is it hard to obtain? gold, silver, copper. How much you get depends what quests you do/ what you kill / your profession

Oh and the price per month? (do you get a free trial period?) first month free, then about £9 a month

Love

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 27, 2004
The Garden
It pwns stonehelm, think of fable x 1000.

If you do get it join me, pixel and atom on Aggramar (Alliance).

I also suggest you read through alot of the stuff on here (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/) as there is alot to take in at first and it will give you a slight head start, also the maps are massive (i kept getting really (really) lost at first but have got the hang of it now) so theres lost of running around but it also never gets crowded :P.

I've done all my leveling through quests which is working really well (you can grind but i hate that in any game and it's not very common on wow), same with items and cash, theres tons of choice as to classes and such, then you get jobs and it just goes on.

Oh and you will never EVER run out of quests, ever (seriously).

:doggy!:

Soul

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
Suffolk, England
Main thing to say is - Easy. Sums up the game, it's easy to level/get monies/items etc, and most of all get to grips with the game in no time atall.

Love's right the quests are like never-ending ;o which is awesome because they all have significance to the game and make it even more fun.

Site I'd suggest for anything WoW-Related is : Allakhazam

I use it constantly when I played WoW and still do now and again for latest info.

/Goodluck if you do purchase/play it =]

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Stonehelm said:
Well I have a fair bit of spare time now and wouldnt mind getting into a decent game again.

But i dont really know anything about WoW and i cba looking at reviews because its always better to hear it from real players.

So if any one could fill me in on things like:

Leveling System - How it works, is it just kill for Exp or do you have to complete Quests to advance.

Also is it easyish leveling but rewarding because i dont want to spend hours getting nowhere.

Job/Classes - How many are there and do you get subjobs or anything like that.

Quests - Are there a lot of quests to do so you dont always have to level.

Economy - What is the currency and is it hard to obtain?

Oh and the price per month? (do you get a free trial period?)

Well i would be grateful if anyone could fill me in and oppinions of the game are welcomed.

/Stone

You can do both and they are equally rewarding. For example a quest might say go to y and x an kill 10 x and x. Well, your getting exp from killing them, and a sizable exp reward and/or equitment/money for doing the quest.

The leveling is the easiest of any MMORPG that I have ever played.

I think something like 9 classes.

Quests: More quests than most MMORPG's userbase.

Like said above, gold, silver, copper. Money is easy to obtain, especially in the higher levels.

Between me and Chris we got:

60 hunter - PvP
60 Warrior - PvP
48 hunter - non-PvP
47 Rogue - PvP
32 mage - PvP

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
Soul said:
Main thing to say is - Easy. Sums up the game, it's easy to level/get monies/items etc, and most of all get to grips with the game in no time atall.

Love's right the quests are like never-ending ;o which is awesome because they all have significance to the game and make it even more fun.

Site I'd suggest for anything WoW-Related is : Allakhazam

I use it constantly when I played WoW and still do now and again for latest info.

/Goodluck if you do purchase/play it =]

I use allakazham for FFXI, quite possible the best game guide site i have come across.

Thanks everyone, I have just ordered it.

Soul

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
Suffolk, England
Stonehelm said:
I use allakazham for FFXI, quite possible the best game guide site i have come across.

Thanks everyone, I have just ordered it.

Hah convenient - Purchased FFXI The other day - well my cousin did looks cool, Was thinking of getting back into WoW though as my mate got my priest to 60 mmm pvp[!]

Glad you've ordered it ^_^ hope you have as much fun on it as I did.

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
You should give FFXI a try, only downside is you have to party to lvl after say about lvl 10 which can get frustrating when most parties are full.

Toxick

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 17, 2003
its a good game, but i dont find there is much things to do, have a lvl 60 mage have all epic gear on him, have epic mount, ect ect,

got the same with a paladin, but i didnt get him all his gear epic :( got them all uncommon tho so ehe :P

its a good game, but i hate there pvp system. i left WoW now and gone back playing Dark AGe Of Camloet... that has alot of stuff to do in the game(been playing for 3 years, still havent done everything in it :P)

Miles

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 27, 2003
Well i just got it yesterday and i have to admit that it is totally fantastic ^^. There are millions of quests, the maps are big and there are no loading times (apart from instanced dungeons). Although i suppose it is "easy" compared to other games, it is so much fun lol.

/Miles

Soul

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 23, 2003
Suffolk, England
Miles said:
Well i just got it yesterday and i have to admit that it is totally fantastic ^^. There are millions of quests, the maps are big and there are no loading times (apart from instanced dungeons). Although i suppose it is "easy" compared to other games, it is so much fun lol.

/Miles

Nice =] server etc you on mate?

DarkXXX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 9, 2004
Sheffield
I really enjoyed this game for the first month or so, and it slowly got boring, the community sucks, im still paying for it though =/ even though i aint playing, pop on now and again to see if theres any lvl 30 weaps for sale for me lol.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
killing a rabbit is so damn annoying, i hate the way you move through arrows, and when u attack if the mob runs away, you have to follow it urself, it should autofollow what u click on like every otha mmo.

cartoony game, but im sure the official servers would be quite fun to play.

Miles

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 27, 2003
Soul said:
Nice =] server etc you on mate?
I think it's called something like "Buring Legion" it's one of the really really really busy ones and sometimes u have to wait 20 - 30 minutes to get in lol, but things sell really fast at AH =p

/Miles

Grim

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2004
DarkXXX said:
the community sucks
Whoa! I'm genuinely curious as to why you think that as the vast majority of players that I've met have been great. There's always going to be idiots that think they're the best (I've met my fair share of them -_-) but overall I'm finding the community to be really good (on my server at least).

ipixel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
i honestly cant say ive never played a better game in my life, as for nothing to do, there is always something ( assuming you lvl 21+ ) theres battlegrounds, go in kill some horde ( or alliance ) get some honour kills and move up the rankings, you have raids, tons of players from each faction battling it out to protect their towns and get some honour, instances ( dungeons ) and loads more.

Toxick

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 17, 2003
Miles said:
I think it's called something like "Buring Legion" it's one of the really really really busy ones and sometimes u have to wait 20 - 30 minutes to get in lol, but things sell really fast at AH =p

/Miles

im on that server, lvl 60 mage. its a nice cummonity, but very childish, in some parts....

Miles

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 27, 2003
Whats you're name Toxic? Msg "Numinator" if you want to talk to me =p

/Miles

TeenAgeDirtBag

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 28, 2004
Can you play this game on a poo graphics card? or is it only playable with a decent one?

ty