This Virus And Others

smoochy boys on tour

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
this virus i got the other day, and now link has got this virus, there is a way to stop it if u havnt had it so far, the only problem is because i havnt used Vista atm, im not 100% sure it will work on Vista, but if u try and it works like this let me and others know please.

If your on XP (both Home and Business) then use the Standard XP Log On, not the 98 Log On (like i do), restart ur Comp, whilst it loading up, keep pressing F8, then select Safe Mode, now when it loads up ull see a "New Account" called Administrator, log on on that account. then in control pannel select user Accounts, and Password Protect that account (dont use any form of password that is ither on ur PC or anythin to do with it, E.G my Laptops name is Neptune, so if i used Neptune as the password it would pick that up first and try it). now restart your PC, and from here on you will notice that to install any programe, u will have to eneter this "Administrator" password, so if u get a pop up for a "Application" or somethin you didnt request then you know not to eneter it.

if u keep getting a pop up from a Application, asking for ur "Administrator" password, then just load back up in Safe Mode (Again F8 As Your Pc Loads Up) and ither run a virus scan, or anythin else u might do to get rid of things like this.

to stop things like this with IE7/8, Load up Control Pannel, Then in Internet Options go to the tab "Advanced", and if u look down the list in the Sub Menu "Security" look for the option Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder When Browser Is Closed, this jsut stops the "Cookies" basicly, that may contain the little crappy Spyware / Malware from internet browing, and also tick the Do Not Save Encrypted Pages To Disk.

This will just stop the Basic Viruses and all sorts like that, because they cnt install because they need the "Authorty" to install.

I Duno if anyone will use this, but its here if you want to. I normally have my Laptop set up like this, but due to some other reasons (cnt remeber what now tho as it was a while ago) i took off my Administrator password

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
or a virus checker would do.

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
dont work, i had 1 running b4 i got it. the way i had posted has stoped a few coming thru on this laptop before now, i just never re did it -_- hence y i got it. it will also help as it wont just infect the comp and if it keeps poping up, u can get all u need (photos files etc) and then do a restore of the OS

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
you cant use virus checkers properly then. i can honestly say ive never had no much as a pop up on my computer.

if virus checkers didnt stop them, they'd make it so they did.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
this is what u get for using free virus software. trust me if u have any half decent paid av then u wont get a virus.

mapadale

this is what u get for using free virus software. trust me if u have any half decent paid av then u wont get a virus.
I've never used any form of AV protection and I have never once been infected, if you have a decent setup and know what you are doing. Then there is no need for any AV at all.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I've never used any form of AV protection and I have never once been infected, if you have a decent setup and know what you are doing. Then there is no need for any AV at all.

me neither, but i find av's (especially onecare) very useful for automatic checkups,defraging, and disk clean ups. saves me having to do it myself every week. usually after a few months my pc becomes so sluggish and slow its easier to format, but since iv used onecare its as fast as the day i booted it up.

mapadale

me neither, but i find av's (especially onecare) very useful for automatic checkups,defraging, and disk clean ups. saves me having to do it myself every week. usually after a few months my pc becomes so sluggish and slow its easier to format, but since iv used onecare its as fast as the day i booted it up.
Only thing that I've ever used really is Hijackthis and reg edit.