Trying to make my own Server starter.

Danny-B-

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 16, 2004
As title says ..
Im trying to make my own server starter using VB6, something similar to Deathwishes server starter (its the balls :) )

Now so far i have it loading each part of the server but ... i always get errors, like when trying to load the DBServer.exe it cannot find the !serverinfo.txt and so on ...
Im sure this is because it tries to run the program from the directory the server starter program is in.

BTW im using the shell command to launch programs ..... Is this wrong ?

All paths to the individual exe's are correct so why doesnt it run the programs from the location they are in ?

any help would be appreciated ... Im a noob at VB, only just started playing with it. :D

slippy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2003
IRELAND
well, to be honset, server starters are too common these days, just earch ull find loads, my server starter was crap, but i only developed it to support the namelist clearer v3 which i made.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
Theres really no point, theres alot of them aruond, just create a .bat file and use that, simple yet effective

YoYoYo

Milo's Sex Slave
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2003
My house
Blaminator said:
Theres really no point, theres alot of them aruond, just create a .bat file and use that, simple yet effective
There is point tbh, you gotta start programming with something small and easy enough.
You cant start out on something huge and original, cause:

1) There wont be any tutorials on making it (otherwise it wouldnt be original).
2) You'd have to spend time designing it when you should be learning vb.

I think making its good, even if you dont release it cause then you learn vb much more lol :P.

I dont know what your error is Danny-B, maybe make sure those files really exsist? And are you running the programs in the correct order?

Danny-B-

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 16, 2004
Sorry havent updated this thread recently :D

I wasnt planning on releasing My proggy as i know theres more server starters than Chins in a chinese phone book :D

I have sorted the error i was getting as i wasnt opening it using the shell execute command :P
It now runs and does the usual stuff , edits the ini and txt files to what the server IP and name should be then starts the server :D
Only problem i have now is... i dont know (havnt researched enough) how to close the individual exe without getting the confirmation dialogue screen, i know its something to do with the terminate process API.

Its been interesting creating it, as i like programming :D